Organic trundle?

Hi, Several years ago I bought a Purerest Latex Organic mattress for my daughter that I am very happy with. I now need a trundle mattress to use with her bed. Given that she won’t be sleeping directly on this mattress and it will just be used on occasion, if I am concerned enough to buy an expensive organic mattress to begin with, is it important to buy the same for the trundle? If so, any recs for kind of the" bottom of the line" in an orange mattress?

Hi Georgia,

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

I should also mention that the latex in your mattress is 100% natural Dunlop and is certainly a very safe material but it doesn’t have an organic certification.

There is no inherent reason that the mattress for the trundle needs to be the same as the main mattress your daughter sleeps on and as long as it fits the trundle (usually 8" or less) and uses materials that you consider to be “safe enough” then you could purchase any mattress you wished.

If the trundle mattress will normally be used by children then there is a great deal of information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options which would be well worth considering.

I’m not sure what you mean by an “orange” mattress.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for the body type of the people that are most likely to sleep on the mattress and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to their weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are just too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If the mattress will be used by a range of people or by children then I would probably be looking for something in a medium to medium/firm range.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you are looking for an online latex mattress then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

Some of the better online latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges are also listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

If you are also looking for local choices then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix