Original Mattress Factory Quality

I came really close to buying S&F Kathryne model during President’s Day sale from Mattress Firm. I am glad I did not, but I am still very confused. I hope that Phoenix and other members of this forum will help me make the right decision. I am looking for an Innerspring, Pocket Coil mattress with Laytex comfort layer (based on all the information I read on this forum). I looked online at OMF mattresses, but also found a lot of complaints about OMF sagging within a year. Should I look somewhere else before I look at OMF mattresses?

Thank you very much for all the help you can provide.

Hi oceanmd,

I think the first place I would start in any search for a new mattress is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will help you know what to avoid and what to focus on both in terms of mattresses and the retailers or manufacturers that sell them.

OMF as you know is a factory direct manufacturer and they do use higher quality materials than mainstream manufacturers in all their budget ranges but sometimes the problem with sagging is just polyfoam layers that are too thick and soft even though they are better quality/density (they use1.8 lb polyfoam which is higher quality than most mainstream manufacturers use). You can see more about this in post #326 and #329 here (and some of the other posts they link to)

The quality of the foam, the thickness, softness, design and suitability of the layers and the mattress, and the body type and sleeping positions of the person all will have an effect on how long a mattress will last for a particular person. It’s never the manufacturer or the name on a label that is the cause of sagging … it’s always the materials and design which you could find in any similar mattresses (and many of them including the major manufacturers use use lower quality materials yet which means that these issues can happen even faster).

Once you’ve gathered some basic information about mattresses and the materials inside them (and in a couple of hours you will know more than most people who sell mattresses :)0 … then the next step is to “connect” with the better manufacturers and retailers in your area and I would include OMF as being one of these in any area they had a store. Of course it’s still important to make sure that you choose wisely and know the details of every layer and component in a mattress you are considering so you can identify any potential weak links in the mattress and make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other mattresses.

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any other options or possibilities in your area.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your reply. I actually have read and researched mattresses on this forum before I posted my questions. I typed a 2-page notes to take with me to stores for references. I am looking in Hampton Roads / Williamsburg area and I found your recommendations for my area.

I started with Original Mattress Factory, the prices are very competitive compared to Mattress Firm.
OMF does not have inner spring support layer with latex comfort layer, which is what I am looking for based on the information you provided here.(because when I started I did not really know what I am looking for) It is either

1. Regency Sapphire model: offset innerspring system / Polyfoam
  2. Orthopedic Luxury Firm: offset innerspring system / Polyfoam
  3. Latex Mattress: 6" Talalay Latex core / Talalay Latex Topper

I spoke over the phone with the sales associate, and according to him offset inner system spring system is better than pocket coil system, which is not strong enough to support the weight. Also, he does not know the density of the polyurethane foam used in the comfort layer. What do you think about them using polyfoam instead of latex. I am considering Orthopedic.

Thank you

Hi oceanmd,

I know you’ve read this but I thought I’d add the link to the better options in the area here for others who may read this thread.

I think the big advantage of OMF over the mattresses you will find at Mattress Firm is that the quality of the materials is higher in every price range and Mattress Firm in most cases won’t be able to provide you with any meaningful specs about what is in their mattress so you would be making a blind purchase. You’re right though that they don’t carry a latex/innerspring hybrid.

No matter which mattress you are considering or where you are buying it from, the first rule is always to make sure that you are given all the details of what is in your mattress. If you are also dealing with someone who is knowledgeable, they will also be able to educate you about the quality of each of the layers and components in the mattress.

I think that “blanket” statements like this are simply never true. It always depends on the circumstances, the person on the mattress, and the design of the mattress and the type of pocket coil that is being used. While it is true that pocket coils are subject to more stress than innersprings that are joined by helicals because they act independently, there are also better and worse versions of pocket coils that are weaker or stronger as well and in most cases it’s the foam above the innersprings that is the weak link of a mattress.

It’s his job to provide you with all the details of every layer of the mattress. OMF is typically more open than most with this type of information but as with any larger organization some of the salespeople there may be better educated and more knowledgeable about their mattresses than others. Without knowing this information I would not buy any mattress. You could always call the company yourself to find out what he isn’t providing but this is what a better salesperson should be doing for you.

For those who are in a lower budget range then a latex comfort layer may not always be possible. Polyfoam comes in a wide range of density/quality and if you are buying a mattress that uses polyfoam in the comfort layers then it becomes especially important that it has the highest quality polyfoam possible for your budget and that it also uses “just enough” to relieve pressure in your most pressure prone position. Latex will be higher quality, better performing, and more durable than polyfoam but it will also be more costly.

A little firmer is usually better than a little softer (polyfoam will soften over time more than higher quality materials). This is really a budget tradeoff but as with any purchase it’s important to make sure that the highest possible quality materials possible are being used in your mattress. 1.8 lb polyfoam for example is better quality/durability than 1.5 lb polyfoam which in turn is better quality than 1.2 lb polyfoam (which I would tend to avoid completely except for perhaps a quilting layer that was in the range of an inch or less). I would probably choose their orthopedic line over their other lines if possible because it does have a more supportive and stronger innerspring but the foams and other layers above the innerspring are the layers that are most important to know.

Phoenix