Original Mattress Factory Serenity Latex vs. Brooklyn Bedding Total Latex/Aloe Alexis

We are shopping for a new mattress (latex) and have looked at the OMF Serenity latex as well as several of the online latex lines with Brooklyn Bedding being the top runner online. We’ve never bought a mattress online without testing it first but with the return/switch out policies it makes us a little more comfortable with it. I like the fact that the OMF is flippable which seems like it would lengthen the life of the mattress but I like the comfort guarantees with the online companies. My first question is that since the online mattresses are in 2-3 layers, would flipping each layer periodically be as efficacious? My second question is between the BB total latex and the Aloe Alexis, which would likely have the longest lifespan? We are both normal weight. I’ve read on this forum that the top layers are the “weak link” so I wondered how this factored in with either the latex core or polyfoam core with overall durability.

Hi Beaker,

Flipping and rotating individual layers would even out the wear and softening over the surfaces to some degree but the layer itself would still be subject to the same compression forces because of its position in the mattress so it would have a slight effect but not to the degree that flipping a layer to the bottom of the mattress would have.

There is more in post #4 here about all the variables that can affect the useful life of a mattress relative to each person and post #2 here (and the post it links to) has more about the differences between an all latex mattress and a latex hybrid including the Aloe Alexis which has an extra layer of latex and would be somewhat “in between” a basic hybrid with a single layer of latex and an all latex mattress.

I’m not sure I could quantify which of these would last longer for any specific person because there are many variables involved and some unknowns as well that would affect durability. They would both have pros and cons that would affect their useful life. The weak link of a mattress will generally be in the top 6" or so of a mattress which would generally be the layers that soften or degrade most quickly and where they soften and how much the softening would affect you would depend on how you sleep, your weight and weight distribution/concentration, all the more detailed specifics of each mattress (firmness of each layer etc), and your sensitivity to foam softening and the gradual loss of comfort and support with each mattress. In other words … there is really no way to know when someone crosses the “fuzzy line” and begins to “tolerate” a mattress just a little more and enjoy it a little less than they did a year before. This is one of those processes (like aging in general) that creep up on people and most people will need to replace a mattress long before the materials have completely worn out.

Having said that the top 6" of the Total Latex Mattress would be all latex and the top 6" of the Alexis are also latex so they would be very comparable in terms of durability.

If you are comparing the OMF Serenity to the Total Latex Mattress then it’s a little more complex. The OMF Serenity includes a middle layer of good quality polyfoam but even though it’s good quality it would be less durable than latex even though it’s deeper in the mattress and would be less subject to compression forces than the top layer. The material edge here goes to Total Latex Mattress.

The Total latex mattress is one sided and the Serenity is two sided so the top layer would be switched to the bottom when you flip it and this layer would be less subject to compression forces and normal wear and tear. This would keep the polyfoam layer in the middle though so in effect it would be more like flipping the polyfoam layer individually because it wouldn’t change its position inside the mattress. With the Total latex mattress you could only flip the top layer. The “flipping” edge here would go to the Serenity.

Both have a latex comfort layer which is a very durable material but the firmness of each layer also affects durability and this is one of the unknowns that can’t be factored in because it would depend on the firmness you choose with the Total Latex or the Aloe Alexis.

While the deepest layer in a mattress generally isn’t a significant factor in durability … it will have some slight effect and because every layer in a mattress will compress to some degree (depending on the layers above them), softer layers on the bottom will be slightly less durable than firmer layers so there would be a very slight edge here for the Total Latex Mattress.

While it’s not a durability factor for the original materials, there is a durability benefit to having replaceable layers because if the top layer softens before the rest of the mattress and you lose comfort or support it can be replaced without replacing the complete mattress so this would be a durability benefit in terms of the cost of ownership / useful lifetime ratio that would give an advantage to the Total Latex Mattress.

How our needs and preferences change as we age also affects the useful lifetime of a mattress and it wouldn’t be uncommon at all that our needs and preferences will change over the course of a decade or longer (just like our taste) and that a mattress that was suitable 10 years earlier may no longer be as suitable (or even suitable at all) if we were to purchase it new 10 years later.

It would also depend on where you were inside the range of comfort and support that was suitable for you with each mattress and how far away from the line that you will eventually cross as the mattress softens and wears before you lose either suitable support or suitable comfort. If one mattress was very close to the edge of your comfort or support range then it would take less softening to put you over the edge than a mattress design that was closer to the upper end of your range and had more “room” for the softening of materials in either the comfort or support layers before it would “cross the line” and become unsuitable for you. This is an unknown variable.

So these are the main factors that would be involved in the useful life of each mattress and they are complex enough that I don’t think there would be a clear winner that could be predicted in “real life” terms (speaking strictly in terms of durability). I would put both of them in a “very durable” category where under normal circumstances and assuming that both of them were a good choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and not at the lower edge of your comfort or support range that it would be completely realistic to “expect” that both of them would last you for a minimum of 10 years and depending on how you age most likely a fair bit and very possibly a great deal longer than that.

Phoenix

Thanks for a very thorough reply to my questions! I think we’ve decided on BB but now we’ve thrown the 100% latex in the mix and are trying to decide between the Aloe Alexis, Total Latex and Natural Latex. Looks like the first two are blended latex and I was wondering how that compares to the natural latex as far as feel and durability.

I actually spoke to Mario earlier at BB and he recommended the Total latex over the Natural for us based on our profile I gave over the phone.

Hi Beaker,

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. As you experienced … they are good at helping their customers decide which of their mattresses is likely to be the best “match” for them.

Phoenix