Ottoman bed with wooden slates - central support required? DWR Nest Bed

I’ve purchased the Nest bed frame from Design Within Reach… and I have some issues. I’ve put a Saatva innerspring mattress… first a luxury firm… and it was awful. Uneven, heavily dipped in the middle… a disaster. We thought it was defective, sent it back… and got the extra firm mattress from Saatva. Much better, but starting to feel a dip again in the middle, and I think it’s becoming more pronounced.

I’m well within the mattress weight requirements of the bed specs (< 132 lbs) … but i realized there is no center support from the frame to the ground. Is the mattress just sagging through the slats given no center support? Perhaps I should go with a more traditional Beautyrest type mattress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. May send the bed back, but perhaps there might be another solution? Or perhaps the Saatva is just a poor mattress / match for the frame.

Link to the bed: www.dwr.com/bedroom-beds/nest-storage-bed/1727.html?lang=en_US
Link to the instructions / construction of the bed: www.dwr.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites...e%20Instructions.pdf

richkohan:

My comments upon this base would be the same as what I supplied years ago (where you posted a duplicate of this post in another thread). The metal rectangular steel in the center and perimeter should provide adequate center support with minimal flex. This is a common design and a leg to the floor isn’t always required. The slats are bowed so they can accentuate slightly the difference between the sleeping area and the center, but I wouldn’t think so much that it causes the mattress to feel a sag. But of course I don’t have your platform bed here to analyze it or evaluate the quality of assembly.

Regarding the mattress, there’s no reason that you would need a different style of support for it than what this base supplies. There is nothing specifically specified by Saatva regarding a base like this that it would be inadequate for those mattresses. It actually should be supportive for most mattress types.

You don’t mention how long you’ve tested out each of the two mattresses you’ve had, but my best guess would be that this is more of a mattress issue versus the base. It could be that what you’re experiencing is the normal softening or breaking in of a new mattress and you don’t like that. The top panel of your mattress could be cut too large and allowing for a bit of excess initial impressioning. The first mattress could be just softer than what you like. Without you and the product in front of me, I couldn’t give you a truly accurate analysis, just best guesses from 25+ years doing this.

One of the best ways to test things would be to place your mattress on the floor and see if over a week or so it does the exact same thing. If it does, the issue is with the mattress and/or your comfort preference. If it doesn’t, then maybe you don’t like your new DWR bed set. (BTW, if this bed set is causing the mattress to sag in the center (which I wouldn’t think to be normal), it will do that for every mattress.)

And for your comment upon maybe getting a Beautyrest, please do a search on this forum for Beautyrest and most importantly read through the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to learn about what to look for in a mattress, specifically learning about foam quality/density.

From a computer, that’s the best advice I can offer. I hope it’s helpful!

Hey richkohan,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: !

[quote]I’ve purchased the Nest bed frame from Design Within Reach… and I have some issues. I’ve put a Saatva innerspring mattress… first a luxury firm… and it was awful. Uneven, heavily dipped in the middle… a disaster. We thought it was defective, sent it back… and got the extra firm mattress from Saatva. Much better, but starting to feel a dip again in the middle, and I think it’s becoming more pronounced.

I’m well within the mattress weight requirements of the bed specs (< 132 lbs) … but i realized there is no center support from the frame to the ground. Is the mattress just sagging through the slats given no center support? Perhaps I should go with a more traditional Beautyrest type mattress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. May send the bed back, but perhaps there might be another solution? Or perhaps the Saatva is just a poor mattress / match for the frame.[/quote]

Thanks for your question to Trusted Member Beducation ~ MattressToGo, hope you found @JeffScheuer’s response helpful. Thanks also to @TheBeducator, Jeff for your quick response and expert insights, your ongoing support of TMU consumer subscribers is always appreciated.

I too am interested in your answer to Jeff’s point from your post:

Looking forward to more details…

Thanks,
Sensei

[color=purple]Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. Hope you are all doing well and are healthy / safe.

It’s been some time, so just now coming back to give an update and hopefully get some more advice.
So just to refresh - I’ve had the nest bed frame from DWR (King) since late November and it has been a real hectic ride.

I started with Saatva mattress luxury firm - it was just incredibly soft… uneven… and I would sink in. I only had it for a few weeks. I switched it out for the Saatva ultra firm - same issue. When I slept on the sides of the mattress (near the edge), it was pretty firm… but i felt it sloped into the middle as i would inch away from the edge… and the more i moved myself to the middle i felt an eventual sinking in. I held on to this mattress for 3 months or so. Ultimately, I returned it.

So I felt it just has to be the brand / mattress that just isn’t great, or just didn’t work with me. I went to Bloomingdales… got a KLUFT and got an Edlridge firm that I was in love with in the showroom. It showed up… and initially felt GREAT. Much more firm and solid. But 10 minutes in … i star feeling a sloping and sinking in - how is this possible?!? Not as bad as the Saatva, but it’s just not nearly as good as my old (and cheap) Stearns and Fosters Queen that I had on my old bed… I’m thinking it HAS to be the frame.

Few things:

Weight and height: With this bed frame, I’m not supposed to have a mattress above 10" and max weight of 132lbs. The Saatva was about 11" … and had a weight of 125 lbs. This KLUFT is 12" and has a weight of 145 lbs. I figured the weight restriction was due to the pistons on the ottoman feature… and I don’t use it much. Could the weight be an issue? DWR suggests using their Sonno Prima foam based mattress that is like 8.5" and around 100 lbs or so (maybe less). They have told me I can use an innerspring mattress as well.

Will mattress weight really make a difference on sagging / sinking in the middle? I figure 20lbs shouldn’t make a difference given that the assumption is you can have 300lbs+ added when you have two people on the bed… but perhaps I’m not thinking about this the right way?

I’m really not fussy. I feel great on most mattresses in hotels… i feel great. But I wake up with terrible back aches and just overall fatigue.

I have one more shot of returning this mattress… there is a Shifman York Metro that is closer to 10" and weights 118lbs… it felt OK in the showroom… I don’t want a foam mattress… i really want an innerspring… and this may be my only last option. Really worried I’m going to have the same problem with this new mattress and then i’m in big big trouble.

Is it possible the nest bed frame is defective or not assembled correctly?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be helpful.

• Richard[/color]

Hi richkohan.

Good to hear from you again. It sounds like you have been on quite the mattress/DWR frame adventure.

[quote]I started with Saatva mattress luxury firm - it was just incredibly soft… uneven… and I would sink in. I only had it for a few weeks. I switched it out for the Saatva ultra firm - same issue. When I slept on the sides of the mattress (near the edge), it was pretty firm… but i felt it sloped into the middle as i would inch away from the edge… and the more i moved myself to the middle i felt an eventual sinking in. I held on to this mattress for 3 months or so. Ultimately, I returned it.

So I felt it just has to be the brand / mattress that just isn’t great, or just didn’t work with me. I went to Bloomingdales… got a KLUFT and got an Edlridge firm that I was in love with in the showroom. It showed up… and initially felt GREAT. Much more firm and solid. But 10 minutes in … i star feeling a sloping and sinking in - how is this possible?!? Not as bad as the Saatva, but it’s just not nearly as good as my old (and cheap) Stearns and Fosters Queen that I had on my old bed… I’m thinking it HAS to be the frame.[/quote]

After trying so many mattresses with the same result, I think your experience suggests the issue is with the frame… as Mattress To Go had also mentioned in post #2 in this thread that you could be experiencing the normal softening or breaking in of a new mattress and dislike that feel. They suggested that a way to test this would be to place your mattress on the floor and see if over about a week’s time, it does the same thing. If it doesn’t, it’s not the mattress and is definitely the frame. If you have not yet tried that test with your current mattress, it may be worth doing so to compare the difference between the mattress on the floor and the mattress on the frame. It would greatly surprise me that three mattresses in a row have the same issue. This points more to issues with the frame than issues with the mattress.

I looked at the PDF care instructions for this bed frame and I am not seeing where there are any restrictions on the mattress thickness (see attached). You also may be interested in reading this thread which discusses this particular bed frame. The slat system that this design uses can affect the feel and performance a mattress and may ultimately bow past a level point with too much weight. You may also want to read about the individual sleeper BMI and mattress thickness relationship post #14.

[quote]I have one more shot of returning this mattress… there is a Shifman York Metro that is closer to 10" and weights 118lbs… it felt OK in the showroom… I don’t want a foam mattress… i really want an innerspring… and this may be my only last option. Really worried I’m going to have the same problem with this new mattress and then i’m in big big trouble.
Is it possible the nest bed frame is defective or not assembled correctly?[/quote]

As Mattress To Go mentioned, this is most likely the case…if this bed set is causing the mattress to sag in the center, it will do that for every mattress. It may not even be an issue of defectiveness, but rather just the way the design of the frame affects mattress performance.

To summarize, I strongly recommend that you place the mattress that you now own on the floor and see if you have the same experience to determine if the bed frame could be the cause of what you are experiencing as “sagging.”

I look forward to hearing the result of your experiment.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. Those are helpful thoughts.

Unfortunately I don’t have the room to lay out the mattress on the floor. I also live alone and the mattress is quite heavy… but the lack of room is the real issue.

To your point on height and weight… the height restriction is on their website and it’s really more about “clearance” for when lifting the bed to use the storage underneath. I’m less concerned about that…

But I do wonder about the weight. Is it possible the mattresses are too heavy and that is why it is bowing and feeling like I’m not getting enough support? This mattress is quite heavy (150lbs+) and the indication was that the mattress shouldn’t be more than 130lbs. I thought this was more related to the weight the pistons could handle for the storage feature, but now I’m wondering if it’s also related to what the slats can handle. I figure the slats also have to handle the weight of 2 people in addition… but perhaps I’m thinking about it wrong?

I was allowed to switch the mattress one more time… so I’ve chosen a thinner and even more firm solution that has compliant weight (118lbs). This is my last shot at it before I have to think about getting rid of the frame. I’m getting a Shifman Metro York (https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/shifman-metropolitan-york-mattress-collection-100-exclusive?ID=3156193)

Apparently there are no issues with this bed with a foam mattress (https://www.dwr.com/bedroom-mattresses/sonno-mg-mattress/2516560.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&pn=2&start=1)

But it just perplexes me that it can’t handle a traditional innerspring mattress. Their online associates have told me it can handle an innerspring mattress… is it also just possible there is something defective with my particular unit?

Hopefully I can figure this out soon and get some decent sleep soon. I have some bad back pain emerging over the past few months.

• Rich

Well I now got the fourth mattress and same issue! Unbelievable!

I’m out of options. They won’t take back the DWR bed and I can’t swap any other mattresses.

There’s not much left to do except sell the bed via a consignment service and start fresh. I can’t take many more days of these aches when I wake up.

Perhaps it’s because there is no center support… perhaps the bed is sinking through in between the slats (although they are within 7cm apart)… perhaps I just hate sprung euro slats, but tough for me to believe that anyone would be OK with the feel I’m getting on these beds.

It feels great for the first few minutes I slip into bed… and slowly over time i just feel like i’m sinking in.

Last ditch effort before I get rid of this bed. Can I use a bunkie board solution on top of the bowed slats? I was thinking something like this?

• Richard