Perfect Cloud vs. eLuxury

Hello, The Mattress Underground community. I’m about to pull the trigger on a new Queen-size mattress and am looking for some advice. My wife and I are replacing our 10-year-old cheap inner spring mattress. We both have been experiencing back and neck pain that has been worsening for years, and we’re fairly certain our mattress is to blame. It has become really uncomfortable and even painful.

We’ve been to a few local stores to try to see what we like. We like memory foam, or hybrid mattresses that feel very similar to true memory foam mattresses. I’ve been doing a ton of research and it looks like I can get a mattress equivalent (or even better) to the $1200-$1600 mattresses we’ve been looking at in stores, in terms of quality and feel, for around $400-$900, if we order from an online warehouse direct company instead.

The two main mattresses I think I’ve narrowed it down to are:

eLuxury/ExceptionalSheets 10" Gel Memory Foam Mattress ($445)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSEK2Y6

Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10" Memory Foam Mattress ($450)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSL9T3U

eLuxury seems to be a bit more reputable of a company. They have a 90-night risk-free trial, the mattress is made in the USA, they are an established company that offers a lot of other products, and their customer service is apparently outstanding. The only problem is that the 3" top layer of the mattress is 3lb per cubic foot density memory foam. I’ve read a lot that says the top layer should really be 4lb density for durability.

Perfect Cloud seems a bit less reputable. Although the company is based in the USA (and they say the mattress was designed in the USA as well), the mattress appears to actually be made in China. They don’t offer a trial. However, the 3" top layer of the mattress is 4lb density, so it seems like this may be a more durable and long-lasting mattress.

I’ve also looked at Tuft & Needle, Leesa, Casper, Sleep Master, Classic Brands, Night Therapy, Signature Sleep, and other online brands. I’m open to revising those or others, but I keep coming back to these two because of their combination of excellent reviews and excellent price.

Both mattresses have excellent reviews and have been certified through the CertiPUR-US program. Does anyone have any advice on which of these two mattresses I should choose?

Hi Strat,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

[quote]The two main mattresses I think I’ve narrowed it down to are:

eLuxury/ExceptionalSheets 10" Gel Memory Foam Mattress ($445)
www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSEK2Y6[/quote]

A forum search on eluxury (you can just click the link) will bring up some comments and feedback about them and as you can see some of their online descriptions are misleading and I wouldn’t consider them to be a reliable supplier. In addition to this I would consider 3" of 3 lb memory foam in the top layers of a mattress to be a weak link in a mattress which I would avoid (see the quality/durability guidelines here).

[quote]Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10" Memory Foam Mattress ($450)
www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSL9T3U[/quote]

Outside of confirming that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (or making sure that there is a good return/exchange policy if you are uncertain) ,… the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label) so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can confirm that there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in any mattress that you are considering. This includes the density of all the layers not just the top memory foam layer.

They also don’t appear to be particularly knowledgeable about the materials in their mattresses because in one of the questions on Amazon they were asked about the foam density of the other polyfoam layers and they replied that it was 3 lb density which is almost certainly wrong (and it also wouldn’t match their shipping weight).

Dura Global is also just an import and marketing company that imports many types of products and they certainly don’t specialize in mattresses. I personally wouldn’t have a great deal of confidence that any guidance they would provide when you talk to them on the phone about whether the mattress you are considering would be a suitable choice for you (which I would consider to be an important part of any online mattress purchase) would be reliable.

They are also fulfilled by Amazon so if for some reason you purchase one of their mattresses that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for then you would be subject to the cost and time limits of the Amazon large items return policy (see post #11 here).

There is also more about purchasing a mattress that is made in China that may be subject to longer periods of compression during shipping and storage and some of the additional risks and uncertainty that can be involved with this type of purchase in post #6 here.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a business can certainly be helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

The tutorial post includes several links to some of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that includes many different types of mattresses in a wide range of budgets that would be well worth considering if you are looking at online options but I would consider both of the mattresses you are considering to be somewhat risky choices.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply, Phoenix.

I live on Long Island, and the mattress stores we have around here are basically just Bob’s and Sleepy’'s. We liked Bob’s highest end foam mattress, the Bob-O-Pedic MyBob Gel, but it’s $1100 plus shipping, and I’m unsure about its quality. There’s a lot of mattresses at Sleepy’s that we like too, but their prices are all $1200 and up.

I looked at your brand recommendations here. The only brands with well-reviewed mattresses in the price range I’m shooting for are Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam Bedding.

Brooklyn Bedding appears to only sell one bed, and it’s latex instead of memory foam. I’m not sure that I’ve actually tried laying on a latex bed, so I’m hesitant about it. I’ve heard mixed things about latex beds in general, and that particular bed seems to have mixed reviews here on this forum. I know I really like the feel of gel memory foam, and they have the highest customer satisfaction scores, so that’s what I’ve mostly been looking at.

Dreamfoam bedding makes a few gel memory foam beds. The 12" Ultimate Dream Supreme Gel looks good, but it’s only available in “Short Queen” size on Amazon, so I’d have to order through their website, and I have an Amazon gift card balance that I really want to use for this. The 13" Ultimate Dreams Gel looks good too. I’m a side-sleeper, but need back support, so I’m not sure which of those two would be better. Maybe I’ll parse the reviews to try to figure out what Tempur-Pedic mattresses each of them correspond to in terms of firmness and I can try them out in Sleepy’s.

All that being said, I’m a bit disappointed that you dislike both of my original mattress choices. I was hoping that someone here would have some personal experience with them. I guess the research will have to continue.

Hi Strat,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Long Island area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Sleepy’s focuses on major brands that generally use lower quality and less durable materials and as you probably know from your reading here I would avoid the major brands and the chain stores specialize in them (see the guidelines here).

You can see some comments about Bob’s mattresses in post #4 here and as you can see I would be very cautious about any mattress purchase from them.

[quote]I looked at your brand recommendations here. The only brands with well-reviewed mattresses in the price range I’m shooting for are Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam Bedding.

Brooklyn Bedding appears to only sell one bed, and it’s latex instead of memory foam. I’m not sure that I’ve actually tried laying on a latex bed, so I’m hesitant about it. I’ve heard mixed things about latex beds in general, and that particular bed seems to have mixed reviews here on this forum. I know I really like the feel of gel memory foam, and they have the highest customer satisfaction scores, so that’s what I’ve mostly been looking at.[/quote]

As I mentioned in my last reply … I would avoid using mattress reviews as a reliable source of information about whether any mattress will be either a suitable or a durable choice for you and they will generally be more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here). There are much more reliable ways to choose the best quality/value mattress that will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP, quality and durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Having said that … both Dreamfoam and Brooklyn bedding are members here (they are actually sister companies) which means that I think highly of both of them and like the other members here I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

If you are considering online choices then the tutorial post includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of and in addition to the list you mentioned some of the better online options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges are listed in post #4 here and there are also some very good options in the “simplified choice” mattresses that are listed in post #2 of this topic.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress but when you can’t test a mattress in person (or if you can and you are still uncertain) then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about helping you to “match” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else so that in combination with your own personal testing you can make a “best judgement” choice.

There is also more about the pros and cons of latex vs memory foam in post #2 here but since the choice between different types of materials and components and different types or categories of mattresses is a preference choice (see this article) the most reliable way to know which material you prefer would be based on your own personal testing and experience. Some people have very different preferences than others.

If you follow the steps of the tutorial post one at a time along with the information in the posts I linked in my replies (most of which are also in the tutorial) then you will have the highest odds of making a purchase that is the “best value” for you.

I would always keep in mind that the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well you will sleep on the mattress (PPP) followed by how long you will sleep well (durability and the useful life of the mattress) followed by all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While the price of a mattress is important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is really important and price is just one of many parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase. The mattress you sleep on will have a bigger effect on how you feel and your overall well being than almost any other significant purchase you can make and when you look back on a good quality mattress purchase in a decade or more you will remember much more about how well you slept on it and how long you slept well than you will about the price you paid and relatively minor differences in price that have only a small effect on the yearly cost of ownership spread out over the years will be much less important to you.

In other words … making value comparisons are always much more important than just making price comparisons which won’t necessarily reflect the value of a mattress purchase relative to your own unique needs and preferences and the specific criteria that may be most important to you.

Phoenix