Pillows?

Hi Osahar,

Like dn, I personally would also would tend to avoid the membrane type protectors with pillows (I like my pillows cooler and more breathable). I would tend towards a cotton dust mite protector if dust mites are a concern which can help absorb moisture (although I wouldnā€™t call them water resistant as much as moisture absorbing) which along with the pillowcase would be as much as I would want to affect the ā€œfeelā€ of a pillow I liked.

The one you linked also has a waterproof/semi breathable membrane and is also a polyester fabric (not cotton).

Phoenix

Ok, the pillows arrived on Friday!

First chance to use them was last night. They are a little firm still at this point, the memory foam core needs to break in a little I think. The tencel cover is a nice feel, and does help a little with cooling. It didnā€™t seem to be as warm as my previous dual-core feather/down pillow. Iā€™m hoping as a little time passes that it softens up like the display model.

So I currently have a tempurpedic traditional fill pillow that I like, but it isnā€™t very durable and quite expensive. Its a memory foam filled pillow, so I was hoping there could be some suggestions to similar, but better quality pillows. It is shaped like a regular pillow, which I like because Iā€™m not a fan of the curved pillows. I have it in soft, but that the middle softness for this pillow. Hope someone can point me in the right direction

I thought I would report on the new shredded latex pillow I bought from Cozy Pure. Itā€™s the Pure Performance Pillow, which has a zipper so you can add/remove the latex to your liking. I liked the concept of shredded latex over a solid piece, as I am pretty fussy about pillow loft and wanted the ability to adjust as needed. I had tried some shredded latex pillows at a store and while I liked the concept, they seemed kind of lumpy/uneven to me, probably due to inconsistencies in the size if the latex pieces inside. Since the Cozy Pure pillow has evenly sized shredded latex ā€œnoodles,ā€ I took the risk that the unevenness would not be a problem.

The pillow arrived very fully stuffed. They certainly did not skimp on the fill. I removed quite a bit of it, and still ended up with a substantial pillow. So far, I am quite happy with it. It is supportive and firm in a good way, but also soft-- I know that sounds contradictory but I donā€™t know how else to describe it. It lets me sink in, but is not mushy like down and some of the synthetic pillows I have used. I like the springiness and resilience of the latex. So far I believe this is the best pillow I have owned. It is not cheap, but I took advantage of the sale they are having now. I had not read much about this pillow before I bought it, so I wanted to add my thoughts here.

Hi sas95,

Thanks for the feedback about your Cozy Pure lanoodles pillow ā€¦ I appreciate it :).

I also happen to like their lanoodles pillows and sleep on one myself (although I donā€™t have the customizable version) and I know that some of the other forum members that have purchased it like it very much as well.

Phoenix

Iā€™ve been sleeping on one of those Pure Performance Pillows from Cozy Pure for several months now - close to a year - and itā€™s my all time favorite pillow. I never thought Iā€™d find anything I liked better than my well stuffed down pillow in a tencel cover, but itā€™s been sadly neglected since getting the LaNoodle pillow. Actually, I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one on sale because I was afraid something might happen to the first one I bought and I never want to be without one. I too had to remove some of the noodles from them to get them to my notion of ā€œperfectā€ - which was fine with me since it meant I also ended up with a 3rd pillow using all the noodles Iā€™d taken out of the other pillows.

Is pillow firmness entirely subjective or can you deduce a ā€œcorrectā€ firmness based on your style & statistics? Iā€™m looking at the Z by Malouf latex pillows. Iā€™m a mostly side-sleeper with broad shoulders and a medium latex mattress - from that I can conclude that chances are Iā€™ll be more comfortable with a high loft pillow. But Iā€™m not sure whether to get plush or firm?

I do think it is very subjective, but I was in a similar situation nearly two years ago, and ended up with the Z high loft pillow in the firm configuration. I tried the plush but felt that I ā€œsunk inā€ too far. The firm pillow held me head in what felt like a more natural position. It is also dependent on the mattress. When on a latex mattress, I feel I need the extra height. On an inner-spring mattress, I would use a lower-loft pillow.

It is two years later, and it still works very well.

John

Hi JohnnyO,

It would be a combination of subjective preferences (how a pillow feels) along with more objective requirements (keeping your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions) which would vary based on the type of mattress you have and the body type and sleeping style of each person.

While you would be able to choose a pillow that in very general terms was ā€œin the rangeā€ based on specs, this may still not turn out be a good choice when it comes to the specific needs and preferences of each person and the only way to know this would be to sleep on in.

I would agree that the high loft would have the best chance of success but I donā€™t know which of the two firmness options would work best for you. I also have a Z by Malouf and am mostly a side sleeper with average-wide shoulders and a softer mattress and I chose the high loft soft because I donā€™t like firmer pillows and it also works well for me although I currently sleep on a shredded latex pillow which is softer yet.

Phoenix

I saw this thread pop up and couldnā€™t resist putting my two cents in!

First off, I have tried many pillows over about the last 15 years- most of them are in the closet. When a guest comes, I am able to ask if they want firm, medium or soft, etc :lol: There are 8 pillows in that closet, most poly fill, most cost over $30ā€¦

Iā€™ve tried latex (taladay I think, not shredded), and memory foam (thankfully a friend let my try hers), didnā€™t like either of those. I like feather, but DH seems to snore more on feather, so we removed feather about 3 years ago.

My favorite pillow (polyfill) from I donā€™t know where itā€™s from, is about 7 years old, lumpy (which I donā€™t mind) and I wanted to replace, but couldnā€™t find the exact pillow online. This one has been washed a couple of times, and always has an allergen blocker cover on it.

On a whim one day, while in Target last summer, I ended up getting an inexpensive pillow to try out (around $12), sick of paying a lot of money for pillows and being disappointed. And itā€™s become one of my favorites! The pillow has an organic cover, and says it blocks allergens, but at this price, I donā€™t quite buy that, so I still have an allergen cover on it.

We are having guests next week, and much to my frustration, many of the pillows in the closet have become musty (moldy) smelling. We moved to a damp area 7 years ago, this is new for me. We just had to get rid of my favorite futon after we came home from a trip and it smelled moldy.

Iā€™m off to Target this week to buy a few more of their organic cotton polyfill pillows to replace the musty guest pillows (I guess I could wash them, but donā€™t have the energy or time before guests arrive)- my DH likes this pillow too- so Iā€™m hoping the guests find them
comfy too.

this is the pillow: http://www.target.com/p/aller-ease-down-alternative-organic-pillow-standard-queen/-/A-14448264#prodSlot=_1_6

And I have an all cotton allergen protector on it. The cover is not organic, but National Allergy does sell an organic version too. This is the one I have: http://www.natlallergy.com/all-cotton-allergy-pillow-covers.html

I just ordered more pillow protectors for the guest area, and Iā€™ll be putting more ā€œDamp Ridā€ moisture control units around. I have them in the clothing closets and they work well, but need to get them in the other closets, disappointed to have the guest pillows smell moldy, and the futon ruined. Iā€™m thinking of putting a Damp-Rid cup under each mattress, our new polyfoam mattress and the new cotton/foam futon. Hopefully that will keep musty smells out of the pillows and futonā€¦

I have been looking for a pillow for a side sleeper, namely myself. Has anyone tried the Charter Club Latex Foam Pillow? I just tried it in a Macyā€™s store where itā€™s on sale for $47.99 plus an extra 15% off if you buy it online and use the code" SUPER by 4/12/2015; although, Iā€™m sure Macyā€™s is always having a sale. I tried one for like 1 minute right before the store closed and thought it was niceā€¦

Lauren Ralph Lauren Latex Fusion Memory Foam PillowI also tried the , which is also on sale for $74.99ā€¦ Iā€™m sure when youā€™re thinking pillows, Ralph Lauren is the first thing that comes to mind. I liked this pillow and thought the latex/memory foam combination was interesting but I think I prefer something firmer; not sure I like the sinking in feeling, but I probably need more time to make a better assessment.

Being a side sleeper, I was intrigued with the Sensorpedic Bounce Foam Gusseted Pillows that I found online. I may go back to see if I can try one of these. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever tried a Gusseted Pillow so Iā€™m intrigued. Itā€™s on sale for $41ā€¦97 and it says it comes with a 15-year warranty.

I might be more interested in the Totillow Pillow if I could find a price on their website. Am I just overlooking it?

Any side sleepers have experience with any of these pillows or even a Gusseted Pillow in general?

Hi electricrelish,

I donā€™t have any personal experience with any of the pillows you mentioned and a quick search didnā€™t turn up any feedback on the forum about them either but hopefully any of the members that have used any of them will see your post and share their comments and feedback about them.

The Sensorpedic pillow sounds more like it uses one of the newer generation of polyfoam materials (see post #2 here) and doesnā€™t sound like memory foam at all.

I checked the Totillow site as well and clicked on the order now button on this page but it just leads to the same page and I also donā€™t see any prices anywhere on their site. It also says ā€œTotillow Down Synthetic Posture Pillow now offered at AMAZON.comā€ but itā€™s not currently available there.

According to the cached Amazon page here and the Kaboodle site here they were selling for $79 when they were available.

Phoenix

36 years trying to find the perfect pillow, still searching. The latest one is a shredded latex from AZ Mattress Company. Not sure about it yet, but after 2 nights, I am not in love.

Has anyone tried Chiroflow pillows? Good/bad?

This summer I tried quite a number of pillows. I updated almost all my beddingā€¦ I couldnā€™t part with a 10 year old Scandia down neck roll pillow. Itā€™s still fantastic! However, itā€™s now double encased in dust mite covers.

I added an Empress Silk Silk filled Pillow Silk Charmeuse Cover - Standard, Silx Silk Filled Double Fill Pillow, Boudoir and my new favorite pillow an Obasan Saguenay 1.0 ā€“ Organic Wool Pillow for my head.

The silk pillows are firm. They started out too hard for me, but over 2 months they have become softer and softer. The Empress Silk pillow is great for back sleeping. Itā€™s about 2 inches thick when I lie my head on it. I feel like it supports my neck really well. The travel size Silx Filled pillow is just a great little pillow if I need a little more loft. And I love silk. I love. The combo of the two after breaking in is starting to become really comfy for side sleeping. But I still prefer the wooly one more for side sleeping. i actually swap pillows depending on if Iā€™m on my back or side. I never found a single pillow over the years which could do it all.

I tried a Pure-Rest Organic Wool Woolie Ball Fill Pillow and a Holy Lamb Wooly ā€œDownā€ before The Obasan. For me, the Obasan has a malleability and cradling effect that the others lack. How? For me I feel like my head is resting on a cloud but being kept perfectly still by the force of the wool. Perfect for side sleeping. I love it for back sleeping too, but I prefer the silk just a tiny bit more. The other wool pillows arenā€™t bad, but the other two donā€™t make me want to exclaim heavenly. I also like the cover and the wool puffs best of all in the Obasan. After two months It still feels really cuddly and supportive. It replaced an 8 year old down Pillowā€¦ Ha, this is so subjective.

The Obasan Pillow only took two days to arrive from the time I ordered it. All the way from Canada to the US. Shipping was free! Considering how long natural bedding companies can make you wait for a pillowcase I found this detail astoundingly nice. It made me really happy! It has a zipper like the others, so you can remove wool if you want, It requires a little daily maintenance. But itā€™s actually fun. i like fluffing a wool pillow like this for a minute or two everyday, Obasan said it could last up to 6 years with proper care which entails putting it in a dryer with tennis balls every so often and placing it in direct sunlight at least 1 time a year. How I hope it lasts!

Finally, I tried Berkeley Oxygen, Savvy Rest medium Talalay and an Obasan Saguenay 2.0 ā€“ Shredded Organic Rubber Pillows. I personally am not a fan of latex pillows - shredded or sculpted - for my head. My head is transformed into an unwilling bouncing ball. I actually got awful neck pain sleeping a whole night on any one of the three. I feel like I can never just relax into the latex. I always feel like itā€™s pushing back at me. There is a consolation however,I love them under my knees to relieve back tension (absolutely wonderful). I used to use a Buckwheat Pillow or a micro bead pillow under my knees ā€“ but latex is far and away the best. I wish I had used them in the past for this purpose!

Hi mattress maven,

Thanks for taking the time to share all your pillow feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Iā€™m ordering a CPAP pillow made with buckwheat hulls and shredded foam for my sleeping pillow. Anyone familiar with a wedge pillow? There are so many, Iā€™m not sure which one to order. I think it would be nice for watching TV.

Hi Quickstrike,

Hopefully some of the members here that own one will see your post and share their experience.

While I donā€™t use one myself so I donā€™t have any personal experience with sleeping using wedge pillows ā€¦ I would suggest that if you plan to use a wedge pillow for sitting up and reading or watching TV that it provides suitable back and lumbar support when you are sitting up and isnā€™t only designed for elevating your head a little when you are lying down to help with breathing, snoring, acid reflux, or some of the other reasons that some people may choose or need to sleep with their head elevated a little.

Phoenix

Hello,

I am new to this community.

I am side sleeper with no health conditions or chronic pain.

I just sleep very HOT.

Has anyone tried Obasan Pillows from Ottawa, Canada?

Are they really good or just another expensive marketing ploy?

This is the pillow I am thinking of gettingā€¦
http://obasan.ca/shop/saguenay-5-0/

Thanks,

Mike

File this under the, ā€œyou actual mileage mar varyā€ category:
This pillow appears to be similar to one from Savvy Rest that Iā€™ve used. It has a different feel from the all shredded latex version. To me it feels more ā€œbreathableā€ and not quite as dense as the all-latex version. My pillow also has two cotton covers, plus my pillowcase, which all affect air flow. Iā€™m a warm sleeper and this pillow works fine for me, but this is my own personal and subjective opinion.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go