Please help me choose ♥️

It’s really nice to see this site is still going strong 10 years after my last purchase! Thanks to all the help here, I bought the 12" Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss (#6). Have been sleeping well for 10 years, but am older now. I tend to sleep on my side and having uncomfortable shoulder pain most nights, so I end up on my stomach, cuddling pillow, head on mattress. 190#, with 150# wife.

I’m thinking I’d like something softer for me shoulder, but otherwise the Bliss is nice. There were too many options 10 years ago, now it’s insane! I tried a Purple in a store, and didn’t really like that “crushing” feeling. We have an adjustable queen base. Looking for suggestions. Thank you!

Hey tcat007 and returning MUGster and indisputable leader of the Gang!

Welcome back to the MattressUnderGround!

I am not familiar with that Bamboo Bliss Mattress and there doesnt seem to be much information on the Web about it. But as an owner to 2 BB mattresses, my guess is since the Signature Hybrid is their most economical, versatile, best selling mattress, it may be the one you might turn to for a replacement. Their Ecosleep mattress is another nice mattress if you want something more eco minded.

You may find that the growth of TMU in the past ten years, may warrant a visit to some of the Trusted Members websites here. Trusted Members Many of our TM’s have offerings that not only rival but exceed expectations of quality, but at modest prices your would not expect from the quality you receive. Since there are no intermediaries, our TM’s continue to offer products and personalized service that we were accustomed to from years past.

Quite frankly, with the opportunity to trial these mattress options, you could peruse each of the lines and narrow down to something that looks perfect and trial it out. If you allow the folks to join you in that search, you will find that they nail it the first time over 90% of the time.

From BB i would recommend the Signature Hybrid in firm with cloudtop, the firmness support your 190# body will enjoy and the cloud top that the 150# wife will find comfortable.

From some of our trusted members, they could put you together a latex mattress hybrid with a nice supportive core layer with modifications for comfort layers to suit each MUGster’s sleep style. For example the @DLX premier DLX Premier, @NestBedding Nest Owl and @Sleep_EZ Hybrid Flippable two different feel sides to get you started.

Good luck on your search and dont forget to use the Trusted Member Section here TM Discount Codes for TM’s promotions and discounts. If you do choose the BB for your final decision, PM me for those discount codes that exceed their website promo’s.

Remember, no one can tell your body what is comfortable for it, except your own brain. You can only rely on the past, and look to the future with those specs and try to come close to what was once comfortable. Keep in mind that 10 years is a long time, and sometimes our needs change as our body and preferences change. Plus, since you are used to sleeping on a mattress for such a long time, the adjustment period to a new mattress may take some time of its own. That is where those valuable trials come into play and the advice of the TM is so valuable. You get to visit them every 10 years give or take, they see “you” every day, multiple times a day. They tend to get it right with a high success rate.

Best of luck in your search,

Norm (aka Maverick)

1 Like

Thanks, @Maverick for mentioning DLX.

The Bamboo Bliss mattress used to be made with a combination of materials including rayon from bamboo fabric, wool batting, a 3" Talalay latex layer, and an 8" 2.17 lb foam core.

@tcat007 you might be interested to know that there was once an option for a zipper top on the Bamboo Bliss, allowing you to replace the 3" latex layer if needed. If your mattress has a zipper, you could potentially purchase a softer 3" foam layer to address your comfort preferences.

Considering a different mattress like the DLX Premier Hybrid could also be a viable option. Keep in mind that switching from an all-foam Bamboo Bliss to a spring mattress like the DLX Premier Hybrid may require an adjustment period. This is a matter of personal preference and your body may take some time to get used to the new comfort and support of a hybrid mattress.

If you’re looking for a softer feel, the DLX Premier Hybrid Soft might be a suitable choice compared to the Bamboo Bliss, which is rated as a 6, assuming the information that we have is accurate. We recommend the DLX Premier because it offers the flexibility to adjust it after you’ve slept on it.

DLX and similar mattresses will be compatible with an adjustable base.

Best of luck with your search for a new mattress!

2 Likes

Wow, Thank you @DLX for that valuable information. This should help @tcat007 with his mattress dilemma. Now he really has an additional option. As always, the TM’s come through! Can’t say enough about you/them.

Thanks for your input and help!

Maverick (aka norm)

Thank you all for the info! By the way tcat is a he. Sheet changing tomorrow, will look to see if it has a zipper (and it’s about time to rotate, been 10 years :rofl:). If it has a zipper, I may try one of these:

Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Soft - 3 Inch - Queen Size (GOLS Certified Organic) https://a.co/d/1JEJolD

If not, the BB Aurora Lux in soft looks interesting. Will probably take me a year to make up my mind!

Please consider that at the time, it’s likely that Brooklyn Bedding was using a blended Talalay latex in their mattresses. There is ongoing debate about whether this blend is superior to 100% natural latex. For most people, blended Talalay latex typically provides a plusher feel.

The link provided offers a latex product of good quality with no known issues. However, it’s important to note that 100% natural Dunlop latex tends to be more buoyant and resilient, which some individuals might perceive as too firm. If you are seeking a softer option, you may want to explore alternatives such as this product: Amazon 5-Zone Foam Topper. Please note that we do not have experience with this particular product and we cannot guarantee its long-term quality and performance. However, it serves as an example of a concept of finding a softer layer and there are no guarantees that it will provide the desired level of comfort. It is a cost-effective option that allows you to experiment and see if it can enhance the comfort of your existing mattress.

2 Likes

My mattress does have a zipper. It’s actually in much better shape than I would have guessed. Some discoloration, but probably been there since day one. No sagging. I rotated it, probably going to live with it, since wife loves it. I can’t imagine any 3" layer being softer than the layer that’s removable.

Google Photos
Google Photos

The “Puffy” is actually something I’d probably like, but I know my wife doesn’t want softer. I guess I could buy a 3" twin layer and experiment with my side. Actually cutting 3" foam could be a challenge.

Sorry for the delayed response. Just catching up now.

While the discoloration may seem unusual, it’s actually normal.

Even though the foam appears flat, it’s typical and expected for any foam to lose its resilience over time. This loss of resilience means that the firmer underlying layers contribute more to the mattress feel. Therefore, replacing the layer might improve things for you.

I neglected to mention that for many people experiencing shoulder issues when sleeping on their side, the pillow can play a significant role. While not always the case and doesn’t work 100% of the time, a thicker, firmer pillow might be worth trying.

Regarding cutting the latex, it’s a personal choice based on your comfort level of these type of projects. Here are some YouTube videos that might help you understand what’s involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzcEqQfXobc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfmWtByk4-s. These can give you an idea of whether you want to embark on the adventure of cutting latex.

1 Like

I’m curious how the 10 year old 3" latex would compare to this:
ViscoSoft Memory Foam Mattress Amazon.com

Comparing memory foam to latex can be challenging due to their distinct feels. Latex tends to offer more buoyancy and resilience, while memory foam typically provides a sensation of sinking in and envelopment.

1 Like

Follow up. I ordered this foam topper:
ViscoSoft Memory Foam Mattress Topper Queen - 3 Inch Reflex Gel Mattress Pad CertiPUR-US Certified https://a.co/d/863P8Eh

Put it on today. They do feel a lot different (just squeezing them) this memory foam is 1.9-2# and feels firmer than the 3" latex from the 10 year old mattress (which I believe is 3.5# latex). The new memory foam fit perfectly with careful tucking and zipping. It does feel slightly firmer lying on it, but only tonight’s sleep will tell if it’s any better. I think I may just fill it with a 3" layer of marshmallows :rofl::rofl:. It is a cheap update to an old mattress. The latex is close to falling apart (but hanging into it just in case).

Considering the queen is only $60, if it doesnt work out, you can make a half of dozen pillows out of it, or chair back cushions for the car or desk seat.

1 Like

Well, wife hates it, and it’s definitely firmer. So the old one is now back in place. Going to keep the memory foam for cushions or another bed topper. I may just buy the soft Talalay topper at BB, it will either be the same or softer. But they only sell it with a cover now ($400!), so if you know of the same in 3", 19 ild, no cover, let me know. Not sure what the ild of the original Bamboo Bliss was, was just called a “level 6”, which I think is medium (maybe 24?).

1 Like

Thanks, it’s a queen, so looks like $424. Getting to the price where a new mattress may be in order.

1 Like

Not that it would allow you to buy another Ferrari to add to your collection, they are offering 5% off, so the price comes down to 402.

You could try a Dunlop 19ILD. Perhaps a bit more supportive, but no quicksand like the memory foam, and half the price of Talalay.

If it doesnt work, more pillows and cushions!