Plz help in mattress selection for a very heavy guy

Hello…as the title states, I’m a very heavy person (5"9, 325 lb). I’v been waking up with severe lower back pain, it’s high time I got myself a new mattress. While searching for information, I found this treasure trove of information. I did try going through all the info here but I would appreciate any and all opinions that can help in getting a great mattress.
I live in Winnipeg , MB so I am a little short on choices I guess …not considering the big brand names as per advice on this site. My current mattress is a very old coil spring. Half the time I sleep on my back and the rest on my right side. I wake up mostly with severe lower back pain and extremely painful right shoulder and numb right arm. I know the root cause is not the mattress but rather my weight but I’m hoping that getting the right mattress will at least help lessen the discomfort. I shall appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you

Hi krazy_kh,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry you’re having back issues, but hopefully a new mattress will help minimize some of that discomfort.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Regarding durability, having a higher BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter, and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

In a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Winnipeg are in post #2 here.

I wake up mostly with severe lower back pain and extremely painful right shoulder and numb right arm. I know the root cause is not the mattress but rather my weight but I’m hoping that getting the right mattress will at least help lessen the discomfort.
You’re correct – there are both “environmental” (our physical level of fitness, flexibility, work habits, pre-existing conditions, etc.) components to sleep quality as well as “material” (mattresses, support structures, pillows, sheets, etc.). Hopefully we can help out with one of those issues with the information I’ve provided in this reply.

Take some time and read though this, and I look forward to learning about your progress and of course any questions you might have moving forward.

Phoenix