Polyfoam Help- Support All Latex Mattress on Adjustable Wire Grid Base- 10" Dunlop @ Spindle

Hello Phoenix,

1st: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! for the time and information you provide on this website. I’ve spent many hours reading, learning, and finally testing mattresses. I know more about mattresses than the average bear, but still not enough lol. You are a bright light in the murky world of mattress buying.

We’ve purchased the 10" Abscond Mattress from Spindle Mattress, 2 twin xl to make a king in medium firmness Spindle Mattress and it’s on the way. (Thank God.)

I can’t say enough good things about Neil over there. He talked to me at length over the phone a few times, sent all the specs and manufacturing info by email, and spent well over an hour with us when we went to test out their mattresses. He answered every question I had with the detail and patience of someone who likes their job. Spindles prices were very, very good for a 10" all natural (not blended or synthetic), made in America, continuous pour dunlop mattress.

For the base I was really hoping to get the S-Cape adjustable base with massage to manage my fibromyalgia (wide spread muscle pain, aches, fatigue, & unrefreshing sleep) but we can’t afford it (yet). I had hoped for lower Black Friday /Cyber Monday sale prices.

So, My next choice is an adjustable wire grid foundation: Pragmatic-Adjustable-Bed-Frame-Head-and-Foot-Split-King

or like this Primo International Fleet Adjustable Bed Frame Head and Foot, Split Cal King.

Would a layer of firm base foam would be my best solution to prevent sagging and shearing? of the all latex mattress from being on an adjustable wire grid?

[ul]
[li]What kind of polyfoam?[/li]
[li]Do I need closed cell or open cell? (Would closed cell foam would be easier to vaccuum / keep clean?)[/li]
[li]What thickness do you suggest?[/li]
[li]What Density?[/li]

[/ul]About the polyfoam: I went here Foam Factory website and promptly got confused with all the choices, lol:

Conventional Foam Mattresses
Foam Types: Poly Foam, Super Soft Foam, HD36 Regular Foam, Lux Regular Foam, HD36 Foam-HQ and Lux Foam-HQ!
Standard Sizes: Twin, Twin Long, Full, Full Long, Queen, King & Cal King.
Heights: 1/2", 1", 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6"

What foam do you recommend? Will there be a chance of out gassing? Do some polyfoam come certified by Certipur or Oeko-tex ?

(Feel free to move this if my post is in the wrong place, I couldn’t figure out how to put into the best base for an all latex mattress discussion. It’s my first time posting to a forum.)

Bless you, Sleepy Gal

Hi Sleepygal,

Congratulations on your new mattress first of all :slight_smile:

As you know I think highly of Neal and Spindle and the quality/value of their mattresses and the knowledge, service, and guidance he provides to his customers and I think you made a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

[quote]For the base I was really hoping to get the S-Cape adjustable base with massage to manage my fibromyalgia (wide spread muscle pain, aches, fatigue, & unrefreshing sleep) but we can’t afford it (yet). I had hoped for lower Black Friday /Cyber Monday sale prices.

So, My next choice is an adjustable wire grid foundation: Pragmatic-Adjustable-Bed-Frame-Head-and-Foot-Split-King

or like this Primo International Fleet Adjustable Bed Frame Head and Foot, Split Cal King.

Would a layer of firm base foam would be my best solution to prevent sagging and shearing? of the all latex mattress from being on an adjustable wire grid?

What kind of polyfoam?
Do I need closed cell or open cell? (Would closed cell foam would be easier to vaccuum / keep clean?)
What thickness do you suggest?
What Density?[/quote]

You can read a little more of my thoughts about a wire grid support surface with an all latex mattress in post #10 here (which you’ve probably read already).

If you decide to use polyfoam I would use an inch or so of very firm HD polyfoam in about a 40 ILD range or firmer and in about a 1.8 lb density range or higher (for durability). I wouldn’t use a closed cell foam which doesn’t breathe and has a more “pneumatic” feel and is not generally used in sleeping systems. Two inches will do an even better job of isolating and protecting the mattress from the wire grid surface so if the gaps are further apart (only 6 or 7 wires on each side) then 2" may be a little better but 1" would also be fine.

If I was in your shoes however I would tend to use a bed rug which is very durable and more breathable as well but is also more costly.

[quote]About the polyfoam: I went here Foam Factory website and promptly got confused with all the choices, lol:

Conventional Foam Mattresses
Foam Types: Poly Foam, Super Soft Foam, HD36 Regular Foam, Lux Regular Foam, HD36 Foam-HQ and Lux Foam-HQ!
Standard Sizes: Twin, Twin Long, Full, Full Long, Queen, King & Cal King.
Heights: 1/2", 1", 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6"

What foam do you recommend?[/quote]

I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything from FBM. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable dealing with them.

Some of the better online sources for polyfoam that would be suitable for what you need (if you decide to go in this direction) are listed in the component post here.

There will generally be some offgassing or initial smell with any new polyfoam but if it’s CertiPUR certified (Oeko-Tex is not usually a certification used for polyfoam) or if it’s made by a US foam manufacturer (who are almost all CertiPUR certified) then it would be tested for harmful substances or VOC’s and unless you have a known sensitivity to polyfoam even if it’s certified then by most people’s standards it would be “safe enough”.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Wow. Thank you for the heads up warning me about Foam By Mail (FBM). I will not go near them (or their websites Foam Factory, USA Foam, Foam Distributing…)

Regarding the wire grid base, I agree it is not ideal. My hope is being able to adjust the head or feet to help those nights I’m in a flare up and can’t get comfortable no matter what I do. (I have a feeling the new mattress will go a long way to help with that.)

My other reasons are the lower cost, lack of upholstery (allergies), and the ability to return the base to a local Walmart or have Amazon come pick it up should there be a problem (both assumptions I need to verify).

Hmm… a mattress rug… Do you think a rug would hold up to bending and being raised and lowered repeatedly?

It was explained to me there is a risk of damage to the wire grid base, because of the way force goes straight down through a latex mattress without dispersing as it would if there were coils. This can create repeated stress on the wires causing them to bend or fail. (Think of putting your weight up on your knee to climb into bed in the same spot every night…)

Do you think a mattress rug disperse that force better than a firm poly layer?

Shoot, I’ve even thought of securing 1x3 slats right to the base (a lot of work), or securing coated 1x1 mesh wire fencing to the base to even out the support and prevent sagging.

Has anyone done anything like this? I’ve heard of pegboard but think it might be to heavy. Your thoughts are appreciated.

And thank you again for warning me about Foam By Mail. They represent much of what is wrong in this industry.

Sleepy Gal

Hi Sleepygal,

Coir is a very durable material and some of the manufacturers I’ve talked with believe it is even the best material to use as an insulator over innersprings to prevent the foam layers from sagging into the springs (although it’s not used for this as much because it is more costly than some of the synthetic alternatives). A friend of mine that manufactures mattresses told me that he has taken many beds apart when they are replaced and that coir is the only insulator material that he’s seen that didn’t develop impressions from the springs after many years of use.

I think that a thin layer of coir would certainly be flexible enough to be used on an adjustable bed and while it may develop some creasing at the bend points over a period of years … I don’t think there would be any issues in the short and medium term.

I don’t think that either one would disperse the force as much as resist it and fill in the gaps to help prevent the latex from sinking into the gaps.

If I was in your shoes and the higher cost compared to polyfoam wasn’t a deterrant I would lean towards using the bed rug because of the greater breathability and the better durability.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Thanks for the info on the coir bed rugs. I’ve read they are made from coconuts, do you know if they dry out or shed?

I’ll write a review after I get all set up and have had some time to evaluate the mattress. I can’t wait, I’m so excited. I’m going to check out mattress covers next. Thanks again!

Hi Sleepgal,

You can read a good article here about Coir and how it is made but it is coated in rubber and won’t dry out (any more than it already is) or shed.

Phoenix