Posh+Lavish latex $ - am I smart or making an expensive mistake? Help!

Hello and thank you for more information than I ever thought possible to know about mattresses! Thanks to this site, I found a local mom and pop store (I never knew these existed) and I know why my Tuft and Needle bed with their topper felt great 4 years ago, started hurting 1 year ago, and was made much worse when I bought a bigger, softer topper to try to make it better.

Until this site, I would have sworn I need the softest bed available. I am female, 5’4", 130-135 pounds, with what could be described as an hourglass shape if gravity had made the bottom of the hourglass somewhat bigger, and mostly a side, sometimes a back sleeper. :slight_smile:

My husband is 6’2", between 180-205 depending on the era he’s in, and decidedly not curvy at all. He’s a side and back sleeper.

He hates spending money on large purchases, so I’m trying to find the best long-term value solution for our bed with health/comfort and durability in mind, so we can minimize the number of times we need to do this in our lives.

Keeping in mind pressure relief and support, we tried a bunch of beds, and to my surprise, only the firmest two beds made my waist feel supported while on my side. It was shocking to feel my back actually in a straight line. I also needed a soft top layer to reduce pressure on my shoulders.

The bed that is locally available and seems like the best long-term deal(??) is a Posh and Lavish Relax with a 3" topper. The mattress itself is just 6" of medium firm Dunlop and 2" of Medium Talalay. Combined with the soft 3" Talalay topper, this would set us back about $3600 which seems crazy to me, but compared to other latex mattresses, I guess it’s not that outrageous? We’d also need a new base in order to support a latex mattress.

I haven’t found another store with latex nearby, so our only other options would be online only. I’ve also seen posts on here where people hate their latex mattresses, and I would be so sad if we spent the time and money on this and it was a mistake.

I feel like I’ve spent so much time thinking about mattresses, I need to just buy one and move on with other things in my life. :slight_smile:

Can anyone add input, thoughts, encouragement, ideas? I really appreciate it!

Posh and Lavish is above average, but why pay a premium? Go to online sources like SleepEZ, Arizona Premium Mattress, or Flobeds. Plus the online sources have a return policy.

I tried P+L….the Dunlop base felt like a hockey puck while the Talalay topper was glorious.

My favorite latex? King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook (Firm). All Talalay latex. I may try to replicate it with Flobeds Vzone….plus Flobeds is adjustable. If you want it firmer, make it firmer by switching out a latex core. Its pure genius!!!

No way would I buy any mattress without a return policy. Id skip out on the Posh and go online. You might decide if you like Dunlop or Talalay. I like Talalay.

Let me know what you do!
John

My point was why pay a premium for P and L when you can get the same thing (even better) from online sources plus you have a return policy?

I like Flobeds because it is all Talalay and the zoned VZone top layer. All layers in Vzone plus all layers in mattress are adjustable.

John

With that said….if you like the Posh Lavish Relax….get it. Better to buy expensive you will use and have a cheap car instead of vice versa.

Wouldnt hurt to research a bit more. Look for King Koil Brook latex mattress. Available nationwide. Im 95% sure you will like King Koil latex over P and L.

John

Looking at the P&L, it presents itself beautifully. If the $3600 is not an issue, and is manageable, then I would put the price aside for a second. When I was looking at mattresses, I allowed my budget to hit 4x that amount. The reason was that I thought I would have to go there to get the comfort I wanted. Dual-sided, edge to edge coils, super firm, quality materials, good customer service, reputable company, easy return, refund, exchange policies, just in case it didnt work out. Having said all that, the most expensive mattress we tried was a 14k+ shifman and after multiple trips to the stores, trying the same mattresses over and over again on different days; in the morning, afternoon, late afternoon, I was on a mission. After months, we settled on a mattress we never tried, sight unseen, based solely on specs and reputation. $1300. It was not about the money, it was about finding something we believed in our best guesstimate, would meet all of our PPP’s and would do that in a cost to performance ratio that made “common sense” to us. My wife said to me the same thing when I told her the price of the Shifman, are you “crazy?” I just wanted comfort and longevity.
This is my advise to you. If you feel that the P&L is “your” mattress and it meets everything you desire, then @BillyIdol is correct, just go for it. Just be sure in you mind that this mattress is everything you really want. Should a layer fail, is there a remedy for it. If a layer is too soft or too firm can it be swapped out. Personally at 6’ 218 (formerly 245-50) my wife is 5’4 130-35, I prefer a spring support layer, but you know what you like. I would suggest you speak with trusted member Custom Sleep Technology. Bob is one of the best at narrowing down the best combination of all latex mattresses and mattress combinations. It was hard to discern on the P&L site if they offer dual comfort, or any customization to their mattresses. They offer “split mattress” and adjustable bases, but I did not see any options to have dual comfort options. In so far as size, as a couple you are not too far off from my wife and me. We happen to share the same comfort levels (or at least we think we do) as our super firm hybrid mattress has worked wonderfully. You need to be certain as a couple you feel the same way. I would encourage you to check out trusted manufacturer website (https://customsleeptech.com/) and see how the same materials you are pondering can be customized down to specific parts of your body. Bob is a straight shooter and will offer candid advice, he really wants to see folks comfortable even if he recommends a product that is not his. Remember, this purchase is not a race. Latex will last you a good long time if done right. I emphasize “done right.” CST pricing as you will see, even for the most customizable options, is in the same neighborhood as where you are with P&L. So, at that level, everyone is in the same ball park. The key is as @BillyIdol mentioned, with the combination of layers and mattress build that you want and need, do you need to go there or could you do the exact same for 20, 30 or 40% less and be just as happy (which was my mindset in the end). Anyway, take your time ask all the questions as you have, but check out CST just to see what options you have for each of your comfort characteristics should you need it.

$1 a day for 10 years for amazing sleep? $3650
$2 a day? $7300

John

1 Like

I guess the only issue is, will it be amazing in ten years? Will our body change and like or require something different. If money is not the issue, then it is worth 5 years of amazing sleep, and you can worry about how your body changes in 5 years from now. Pick what you like first. Evaluate. Sleep on it a day or two then revisit the conversation and see if you are just as excited. In our practice, I have the luxury if a patient likes a $200 frame more than the $150 one, and leans to the $150, I will ask them, if money wasnt a consideration, which one do you like best. If they say the $200 one, I just give it to them at $150. In the long run, I know it will be less headache’s for me. They will be back for an exam recheck, they will say the Rx is not working, or the glasses don’t fit right, or some other BS. If they end up with the one they really want and it works the same, there is never any second guessing or buyers remorse, they are happier. Less time with them on my part equals more time to spend with the next patient.

I very much appreciate the input!

@BillyIdol I looked, and there is a local seller who sells the King Koil Brook, but it is much more expensive than what I would end up paying for the one I’m looking at right now. Part of my issue is that while $3600 feels very expensive to me, it’s a fantastic price for this bed and topper. Sigh. And thank you for the suggestions on the other online retailers. My only hesitation is the inability to try them out before pulling the trigger. But the return policies do make that decision much easier.

@Maverick I am so impressed with your tenacity! (And I 100% think you are correct on the buyers remorse issue - your patients are lucky to have you!) I am really at this point where my body is in pain in the morning (last night I ended up and the couch and slept much better), and I have so many other things in my life that need attention. That is why it does feel a bit like a race. Also, the reason the price is as low as it is is because the local store is no longer going to sell P&L, so they are down to 1 or 2 left of each model. I think my concern is that I will end up in pain after a few weeks on a new bed and be that much poorer. The store does have a 30 day exchange policy, but the restocking fee is hefty.

Thinking of it in money terms though, it really is critical to my health to sleep well, and the well-being of my family depends on my health. I think I have actually almost talked myself into going to buy it tomorrow…we shall see if I feel the same way in the morning!

1 Like

Flobeds is probably the same as King Koil Brook, but way cheaper. $2800-$3400 when they have a sale (which is about half the time). Plus it is adjustable. Checkmate? Id go down and try KK just to see how it feels! No obligation to buy!

What size do you need? Flobeds VZone in Cal King during sale is $3400-$3500.

John

Dont let “store closing” pressure cloud your judgement. Just because it is on sale does not mean it is good.

King Koil Brook way better than P and L. But try it out yourself. I wont be buying P and L myself.

P and L Relax at $3600
King Koil Brook at $5600 ($5200 sale price on Veterans Day or Black Friday at Sit N ) Cal King $4600 at Wallaroos out of Utah

Id get the KK because it is superior. Invest in yourself. P and L is a waste of money in my opinion. At $4600 (Cal King)….it is a no brainer.

Id check KK Brook Latex and then P and L and then make a decision.

John

I know how you feel about it being a race. If your gut instinct says this P&L is the right one, then follow your gut. Don’t do it under duress. That is where mistakes are made. I could give you dozens of reasons that you have time to make a selection. Unless this store is willing to offer the bed at a price you consider disposable, the bed is not moving that fast. Its an all foam bed. It can be duplicated. Call Custom Sleep Technology and see if it really is something he cant duplicate. That is basically mostly what he does, latex. And his latex is from Talalay Global, one of two manufacturers of the world’s best latex. It is worth the free phone call and he offers a 1hour free phone consultation. He is a good guy. I have spoken via email many times and is always happy to respond and answer any of my questions and he didnt know me from adam. 3600 is a lot of cash, i still think you need to take that breath and review your options. @BillyIdol is correct, dont let the limited available cloud your judgment. If they never had it in their showroom for you to try, you would never know it existed. I am not trying to say it is a bad mattress or you shouldn’t buy it. What i am saying is, really be sure. Who has $3600 to make a mistake. Eveyone here wants you to be comfortable and happy, which is why we offer our help, advice and wisdom. You know you, take that step back and see the whole picture, then you will make the right choice.

Hi Omgiminslc,
I knew I wanted you to try something on the CST site,(Talalay Latex Mattresses) I just could not find it the other day. But I think it could be a valuable tool in evaluating and measuring your body metrics for finding a great match based on your input and best likely outcome results. You can take a look at the silver and gold builds. Of course you can modify any combination and the mattress profile is really the best guesstimate of what is the likely solution for your body metrics. Good luck, hope you find your perfect night’s sleep.