Pranasleep OM Guru alternative and advice

We are looking for a new mattress to replace our 5 year old Sterns and Foster pillow top that has already broken down and causing me some lower back pain in the morning. Unfortunately I had not found this site when we originally purchased back in 2013, so much thanks Phoenix. I wanted to check out some latex mattress after reading some of the great benefits on here, so my wife and I went to a few stores that were referenced in Post #2 here to try a few different mattresses out. The one that we both liked the feel of the best was the Pranasleep OM Guru, which for 13k is laughable. We also liked the pure talalay bliss world’s best bed, but liked the OM Guru a little better.

Do you, or one of the other retailers, offer something similar to the feel of the OM Guru, which I read is a combination of Talalay latex and foam? My worry, and where I could use some advice, with the OM Guru is support, and I read through the comfort vs support layer articles and I get to a degree the differences there between relieving pressure vs spine alignment. I don’t know how to test spine alignment though, and since I am already having lower back pain due to insufficient spine alignment in our current mattress I want to make sure we are good going forward. My wife and I both like the feel of a soft mattress, like the feel of sleeping in the bed, but not to the degree that a full foam mattress feels like. The mattress we replaced with our current mattress was a tempur-pedic and neither of us really liked it. We enjoyed the initial feeling of sleeping in the bed but neither of us slept well, I had back pain, and the reason we went with our current mattress was it had the foam pillow top with traditional spring underneath. We liked the OM Guru as it felt like sleeping in the bed but still had some bounce and life to it from the latex.

My wife is primarily a stomach sleeper with some side sleeping. She is usually around 130-140 (currently she is pregnant with our third so isn’t 140, no comment, and isn’t stomach sleeping). I am a bigger guy, 5’10 244, and typically start sleeping on my back or side and usually wake up on my stomach.

Thanks for the help you can give!

Thank you for your interest in our products. I find the the OM Guru price to be laughable to put it mildly. I especially loved the patented Perimeter Wrap which is nothing more than a fire barrier. The latex is the exact same latex we use in our all natural talalay designs. The quilted top says it has many different layers of this and that including wool however the picture shows all the layers to be very light in color and natural wool is in fact much darker than what I see in the picture. That thick top quilt will be an issue down the road because all those layers will compress and cause dips in the bed which is something you are trying to get away from now. The PLB World’s Best would be a much better mattress overall.

Now here’s some honest truth, you are too heavy for either of these beds to hold up for more than a few years. Super soft Talalay does have an awesome feel but will compress and lose it’s support for someone your weight. If you are committed to that soft a mattress then you better make sure you are willing to purchase a new layer every few years or you need to move up the layers to a firmer configuration. With our zippered covers you have the ability to change the upper layers when the start to lose support. The lower layers like the base core will hold up fine for many many years. We also have the very same latex PLB uses in all their models including the World’s Best. I think it’s best if you call me direct to go over the various layers and firmness choices. One thing I do know is that you will save a ton of money going through us. 888-773-7326