Presto customizable organic latex for larger individual and other questions.

Hi Mario!

We already exchanged a bit via email concerning your latex toppers, but since it probably wouldn’t be a good fit for my current issue I have been looking into a new mattress instead.
I currently am looking at either a hybrid (zoned pocketed coil + latex) or an all latex bed.

I am 5’11’’ and 280 lbs. Mostly a side sleeper but also sleep on my back (70/30).
Now needless to say that our options seem pretty limited in Canada and I haven’t been able to find any nice latex hybrids that meet the TMU durability guidelines.
Having something shipped from the US is expensive and ultimately I would end up with something inferior for the same price.
Plus, with the current situation, I think I would rather encourage a Canadian company and our economy.

I have been eyeing the Presto customizable organic latex mattress that you are currently selling. I was hoping on going up to 2000$ max, but I don’t mind spending a bit more for something that will be worthwhile. My current 100% cheap polyfoam mattress has been causing me great discomfort for several years but lately it is unbearable. So I am at the point that I want something that will be good for me for several years to come.

I have my concerns however. I have never tried a latex mattress and sadly with the current pandemic I can’t really try any. I do know that I preferred the bounciness of my old innerspring mattress to this current polyfoam one, but did enjoy the comfort the polyfoam provided in the early days of me getting it.

What concerns me the most however is if it would be a good fit for someone my size.
I understand that it is customizable but I have seen at several places that heavier people should go with a larger mattress. Usually in the lines of 13-14 inch. This seems to concord with what is stated in the documentation on these forums that for heavier people the comfort and support cores should usually be larger. I am wondering just how well a 10 inch all latex mattress would work for me.

The other question I have is if the ILD of the different layers is customizable or if you ship them all the same (Example : 1x 4 inch 40 ILD + 1 X 2 inch 30 ILD + 2 x 2 inch 20 ILD).
If it is customizable, what do you think would be best suited for a side sleeper my size?
This is the confusing part for me, as I know what you recommend for average size people and that usually larger individuals should go for a higher ILD but don’t know exactly how all of that adds up with my PPP.
I easily feel pressure points in my shoulders, need support for my lower back and I usually prefer a softer mattress. I would say that my priorities are in that order. I know that this is subjective and it is almost impossible for you to figure out what would be best for me, but what would you suggest?

Also, I believe this model comes with an extra latex layer on the side for more customization? How much more would it be to add in a cover for it, so I could potentially use it as a topper and make the bed be 12 inches?

I am desperate to sleep better as the lack of sleep is aggravating my anxiety and panic attacks.
Thank you very much for your time or any input you may have.

Hi LeKrang,

We recommend you try both Dunlop and Talalay latex in store before deciding to buy such a mattress. The unique qualities of latex such as exceptional support and resilience do appeal to most, however some sleepers find that a solid latex mattress has too much push back for their pressure points. I’d wait until stores reopen in the next few weeks so that you can experience what type of material you’ll be sleeping on.

Correct, a thicker 13-14" all latex mattress mattress would be preferable for your sleeping type and weight. We can make The Organic Dunlop Latex Presto Mattress in any thickness and firmness that you like. Please contact me personally after you had a chance to try a mattress in store to discuss your options.

Please, lets discuss this further, after you have tried Dunlop latex in a store.

The Organic Presto is an 8" mattress with a free 2" layer that makes it 10" thick. The cover is already made to accommodate the bonus layer.

Let’s keep in touch in a few weeks after the stores reopen so that we can discuss your options.

All the best

Mario

Ok,

Thank you for your time.
I will look for store openings and try and find somewhere where they have dunlop mattresses.

After trying them I will get back to you.

I have looked and in my area the only latex mattresses I am able to find seem to use a thin 1’’ to 2 inch layer on top of other foams or coils. No all latex mattresses. I wonder if this will be a suitable test.

Hi LeKrang,

No that would not be sufficient. You need to experience a mattress made entirely of latex to experience the support and latex push back. What area do you live in, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

regards

I live in Saguenay, Chicoutimi.

I think I might have found one. Matelas Lion D’or seem to carry a all natural latex mattress. I will call and see if they have it in their showroom.

Hi, I will have to keep you updated.
I contacted them and it seems they are closed until the 25th.
It still isn’t clear for them if we will be able to try the mattresses out after the reopening because of the current pandemic.

Here’s hoping I will be able to try out their all latex and pocketed coils and latex mattresses when they do.

HI LeKrang,

That’s odd, because some mattress stores in the Gatineau Qc. region opened on Monday and you can try out mattresses as before. Hopefully things will resolve faster for you,

Thanks for the update

regards

Hi Mario!

It turns out you were right.
The information I got from a friend was false.
They are opened since Monday and it is possible to try out the mattresses so I went out there and did.

To my surprise, the sales person who is also the business owner (passed down from his father and grandfather) really knows his stuff. He told me several things that I had read on here in the tutorials and was really knowledgeable. I went in with a few specific questions to try and ‘‘trap’’ a dishonest sales clerk but he fell in none of them and even told me details before I asked them that were almost a copy/paste word for word of what I had read on here.

All in all I came out very impressed and I am confident that what he is selling is quality. It is a small owned business that pays attention to detail and with a ton of knowledge and it shows.

I tried several mattresses including the two I had my eyes on before going in. I really enjoy the support the latex provides and the feel of it. It is also responsive which I was missing in the all foam mattress I currently own.

There are two types who stood out for me.

A pocketed coil and latex hybrid bed and the all latex bed.

Here are some specs.

Hybrid :

1200 X 9 inch tempered steel pocketed coils support layer.
4 inch 100% natural organic 5,5 lbs/ft3 dunlop latex comfort layer. (GOLS and OEKO-TEX Certified)
The latex layer comes in medium or firm. Medium being 36 ILD and the firm 44 ILD.

All latex :

9 inch of 100% natural organic 5,5 lbs/ft3 dunlop latex (GOLS and OEKO-TEX Certified)
He has soft, medium and firm. Same ILD as above with 28 ILD being his soft.

Surprisingly enough for me, I found the firm Hybrid to be more comfortable than the medium all latex. I guess the pocketed coils help relieve more pressure in my shoulders and my hips and all in all, even if it had a higher ILD on the latex, it felt softer and more comfortable while provide exceptional support for my back.

I think all in all I prefer the hybrid.
He also offers a 90 day replacement if the mattress is not to my liking I could switch out for one with higher or lower ILD latex or change mattress completely.
His guaranty isn’t the best I have seen at 10 years, but figure that with the quality of materials used it will outlast the guaranty easily.

His prices are usually a bit steeper but he currently has a 30% off if you pay him cash. The Hybrid in queen size comes below 2000$ and the all latex turns out to be 2250$ all taxes paid and delivered.

This seems pretty reasonable.
Do you think this would be a good buy going from the specs provided?

Hi LeKrang,

I’m happy you were able to go and try some latex mattresses! Now that you’ve experienced the feel of a solid latex mattress and a hybrid you are in a better position to make a choice in terms of comfort, firmness and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences).

From what you’ve described they both look like solid mattresses! It’s great that you are dealing with a small “mom and pop” business and that the owner is actually there to assist customers on the floor. I think you’re making a good decision buying locally and supporting a small business.

Please keep us posted on which model you decided to get, and how it sleeps.

All the best

Mario

Hi LeKrang, What is the model you have purchase at the matelas lion d’or?

Regards