Purchased an IComfort Savant. Mistake?

Hi worldastage,

I just realized that I didn’t address one of your comments which is also related to CTF’s reply.

It is very common with a new mattress that you may need a new pillow … particularly if it is significantly softer or firmer than your old mattress. If you are sinking in more or less then the height of your pillow may need to change to accommodate a different “gap” between your head and the pillow. This can certainly lead to neck and shoulder issues. CTF is also correct that a new mattress needs some time to break in and there is also an adjustment period involved in any new sleeping surface. When I talked with Craig he also said that there was a 90 day exchange period even though this is different from the information on the site itself (which says 60 days). I would take at least 30 days to see if things are improving and if you have other pillows available to you I would experiment with this as well to make sure your head and neck are in good alignment on your new mattress.

Hi CTF (Craig),

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!. I enjoyed our conversation today.

Thanks for joining in this discussion and I share your viewpoint on your first two points and I know we agree on many other things about mattresses and the industry in general but I have to I have to strongly disagree with your third point …

The “premier” brands (assuming you are talking about Sealy, Simmons, Serta, Tempurpedic etc) are not a good basis for comparing the quality/value of any mattress because all of them have poor value when you compare them to what I consider to be true premier brands which are many of the smaller local or independent manufacturers that exist all around the country.

There is really no basis for saying that a mattress has good quality when they don’t disclose the quality of the foams they use inside it. Without this information … quality is just a “word” with no meaning because a mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the materials inside it. In the case of the iComfort line … many of the materials are not good quality by any stretch of the imagination and really don’t belong in a mattress in this price range (see post #11 here for an analysis of the iComfort line). Any mattress can seem to be good quality if it’s compared to some of the worst in the industry. I prefer to compare them to the better value available to consumers and by this standard they don’t fare very well at all. Even your own Summerfield mattresses are better quality/value than the iComfort IMO :slight_smile:

In terms of your estimated lifespan … this is also wildly optimistic in my opinion. Much better quality mattresses that use better quality materials won’t last as long as the estimated lifespan you are assigning to the Savant and given the amount of low quality foams it contains that are subject to early softening … someone may be lucky if they lasted half as long as your estimate with good comfort and support.

Warranties are more of a marketing tool than something meaningful to consumers (see post #174 here with some thoughts about warranties) and with this amount of lower density foams in the mattress that will soften and degrade much faster than higher quality materials … there is just no way that an estimated lifespan that long would make sense or be realistic for most people. The loss of comfort and support is the real reason people need to replace a mattress not impressions that exceed the warranty exclusions and this isn’t covered by any warranty.

This may be true and there is a lot of low quality “junk” that is being sold today but it’s also far worse than a lot of better quality mattresses that are widely available to consumers that know where to look.

While we agree on many things … the quality or value of major brand mattresses isn’t one of them and I much prefer to look at the quality of the materials in a mattress to make these kind of assessments. On this basis … the iComfort doesn’t compare well at all.

Phoenix