Purple alternatives and/or topper options for DIY split king

Hello - this site is amazing, and thank you to all who have contributed to the wealth of knowledge here!

Our current bed is a DIY split king where we each have two layers of natural latex in differing firmness ratings (hers are firmer than mine). I have a rib/back injury that leads me to be very uncomfortable much of the time, and I toss and turn. She has scoliosis and loves the firm support of the latex.

We recently went to the Purple store to see what the hype is about. I absolutely loved the pressure-point relief that the buckling column gel comfort layer provided. She liked it in some positions, but was more skeptical about being able to sleep on it long term. We’ve also seen all the reports of the Purple mattresses sagging over time, so are wary about investing in what would be our most expensive mattress ever with that issue.

Finding a buckling column gel topper seems to be nearly impossible unless I gamble on material quality, offgassing, firmness etc. by ordering something through Alibaba. (It seems Intellibed used to offer one, but I’m not finding it anywhere now, and Purple does not sell them. Purple also recently purchased Intellibed, so it seems like the market is consolidating rather than expanding in terms of options.)

I’m looking for recommendations either for a buckling column gel topper available here and now (2023) that uses quality materials, or alternatives to the Purple that don’t have the sagging issue so that I can just get a Twin XL for my side (and hopefully figure out any height difference).

For what it’s worth, the model that seemed to meet my needs best was the Purple Premier 3 Hyprid (3" buckling column gel layer on the hybrid coil base), but obviously I’m willing to explore, especially if I can get a good topper to try on our existing latex layers.

Thank you so much!!

Call Intellibed. They sell a topper, but its not on the website.

John

1 Like

Good to know, thank you!

I think they dont advertise it because then there is no reason to buy the Intellibed.

John

Hi LiveAwake and welcome to the mattress underground :slight_smile: Glad you are finding the info here useful!

Our current bed is a DIY split king where we each have two layers of natural latex in differing firmness ratings (hers are firmer than mine). I have a rib/back injury that leads me to be very uncomfortable much of the time, and I toss and turn. She has scoliosis and loves the firm support of the latex

We recently went to the Purple store to see what the hype is about. I absolutely loved the pressure-point relief that the buckling column gel comfort layer provided. She liked it in some positions, but was more skeptical about being able to sleep on it long term. We’ve also seen all the reports of the Purple mattresses sagging over time, so are wary about investing in what would be our most expensive mattress ever with that issue

For what it’s worth, the model that seemed to meet my needs best was the Purple Premier 3 Hyprid (3" buckling column gel layer on the hybrid coil base), but obviously I’m willing to explore, especially if I can get a good topper to try on our existing latex layers.

The Purple Premier 3 Hybrid is a 3" Buckling gel comfort layer, with a pocketed coil support layer with a transition foam base. From our experience it is a kind of love or hate for different people. You can read more about Purple in this search here It can be difficult to assess how the purple mattress might fit with any given sleeper and how the column gel cells will work for either of you. Just remember that every layer affects every other layer in a mattress so I am not sure how the combo with bucking gel will play out for your situation.

Finding a buckling column gel topper seems to be nearly impossible unless I gamble on material quality, offgassing, firmness etc. by ordering something through Alibaba. (It seems Intellibed used to offer one, but I’m not finding it anywhere now, and Purple does not sell them. Purple also recently purchased Intellibed, so it seems like the market is consolidating rather than expanding in terms of options.)
There have been quite a few manufacturers that have different versions of buckling column gel. One is Intelligel and one is NexGel (now owned by Spring Air / Sommex since Natura went bankrupt) and Leggett & Platt has a version called Somnigel which is being used by King Koil and several other manufacturers in their mattresses

Buckling Column Gel is a unique material that has recently introduced in comfort layers; the internal structure is square or hexagonal columns which ‘collapse’ at a certain weight threshold, allowing it to be firm( to its’ threshold) in some spots and softer where the columns have collapsed or buckled, they provide a mix of pressure relief and lumbar support. The ‘cons’ are that these have different ‘collapse’ thresholds and the firmer ones(usually hexagonal cells) are too firm for some people, and they also have a ‘crackling’ feeling to them some people liken to bubble foam and some people have difficulty getting used to this. You can read more from @Phoenix on Buckling Column Gel here and post #2 here. If either of you need additional pressure relief, you may want to look into this. Purple and Intellibed have a large market share of this type of mattress, and now they are no longer separate entities, it will be interesting to see how this affects the availability for other manufacturers going forward. I do see Dubuque Mattress Factory has a Buckling Column Gel mattress with their version ‘Somnigel’ that has a 2 ¼" comfort layer.

It may require you to do some phoning directly to Intellibed/Purple or Leggett and Platt with your request to see if they are able to offer you any advice/assistance. With a little more consideration and research you can hopefully finish your new mattress you both find comfortable that will last many years.

~ Basilio

Intellibed has not yet returned my call, and anyway from what I can find in the way of reviews online people don’t seem to like the topper they offer very much.

Purple doesn’t offer a topper. I want to find one for my side of the bed; she’s not into it for her side. I’m nervous to order something from Alibaba, but I’m not seeing any other options. Does anyone know of a good manufacturer on Alibaba who makes a similar product to the Purple grid that can also be trusted to use safe low VOC material? I’m just going to get a twin XL for my side.