Quality Mattresses? Do they exist anymore?

Hello.

I’m in the Orange County, CA area, and can’t for physical purposes travel to LA to check out which would undoubtedly be many other options for me.
I’m 5’6 120 pounds, I live with chronic pain in my entire body, from an accident. I’m currently sleeping on a 7 year old Room and Board Latex mattress which would have lasted longer if I didn’t spend so much more time that sleeping in it. Whatever I get next I really can’t afford to get wrong. I like firmer mattress which seem nearly non existent since everyone wants this princess cloud sleeping thing with comfort layers now, It’s ridiculous. (no offense to anyone out there who loves these, But If I have to physically roll myself out because I can’t sit in it, no good.)

I don’t really want another straight up latex bed for fear in 7 years and 3+ grand later I’m right back where I am now. I’m not into a in a box mattress (i.e. casper, etc.), any kind of memory foam or foam mattress. And I’ve kind of heard sterns, simmons etc. Big box mattresses are all crap these days and are currently enjoying a large class action suite.

I like the idea of a latex hybrid deal, but hate the idea of buying a sight unseen, over the internet deal, because it’ll probably still be too pillow topped and squishy and I’ll probably spend more money having it shipped back.
I like the idea of charles p rogers, power core estate or power core nano’s but I have no way of testing it in person. I just ruled out Naturepedic because they’re using dunlop latex and the mattresses have no reinforced sides (that’s going to run into problems right there).

Near me as mattress manufactures are Newport Bedding co, and Custom Comfort Mattress (who I know are cutting corners because I’ve been watching my parents have to keep having their latex mattress fixed over and over the last 2 years, but I will give them credit, they have replaced it once after the first year, and just after the second year stripped it down to try to make it right.)

I’ve heard Aireloom’s are still decently made. I’m willing to spend whatever to get this right. I just want to find something worth wile made of at least, decent coil, wool, cotton and talalay latex hopefully.
Without foam garbage, Dunlop (because I know it just wont t hold up as well, and cooling gel (so scary).

I ran through bloomingdales high end stuff today and was disappointed to find 8k mattresses with egg carton and upholstery foam inside them. (Otherwise they would have been totally fine mattresses, I mean what the hell?)

Any other companies companies anyone can put on my radar?
Thanks guys!

Hi mwhitney,

The simple answer to this is “yes many”.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly help you know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines I linked relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers such as Sleepy’s that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

The choice between different types and blends of latex is also a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice as well and any type or blend of latex (including Dunlop latex) is a high quality and durable material. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop latex in post #7 here.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

If you are considering online mattresses (particularly with good trial periods and a free or low cost return options) then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses with different designs, options, firmness levels, prices, and return/exchange policies that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

I was wondering the same thing - if anyone made a quality mattress anymore…

I wanted a firm, innerspring, double-sided mattress - like they used to make in the old days. I was seriously considering buying a luxury mattress on Bloomingdale’s website ($3540 on sale), then I came across a Gold Bond mattress on Wayfair’s website: Gold Bond Anniversary Firm. I did some research on the company and found out they are an independently-owned company in CT and have been making quality mattresses since 1899…they make lots of different kinds of mattresses too - one-sided, double-sided, latex, foam, innerspring, futon, etc - but I only wanted a firm innerspring that I can flip.

I took a chance and ordered the Anniversary Firm mattress set (they have a Plush version too) and I am so happy I did…the price was great - it’s very firm - it has 12 3/4 gauge coils - the gauge of the coils was very important because I weigh over 200 lbs., and I read somewhere that you should not go with coils any higher than a 13 gauge if you are over 200 lbs., - because the thicker coils will be more supportive and feel more firm. I like to be “on” my mattress, not “in” it!

It is exactly what I had been searching for - I’m going to buy a second set in the next few weeks.

Good luck with your search.

Hi pattycake,

Thanks once again for sharing your comments.

Just for reference and for the sake of others that may be reading this … there are many coil systems that use innersprings with a higher gauge than 13 that would be suitable for those that are over 200 lbs. I would be very cautious using wire gauge (or coil count) as a way to determine the quality, durability, or value of a mattress because the foam layers above the innerspring are usually the weakest link in a mattress, not the innerspring itself, and the gauge of the wire is only one of many variables that determines how a particular innerspring will feel and perform inside a specific mattress design and can be more misleading than helpful. The total amount of steel in an innerspring would probably be a much more important spec that could be used to compare innersprings (although this would also be somewhat misleading) but unfortunately this isn’t a spec that mattress companies normally provide. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Phoenix