Question about Presto latex mattress customizability

Recently visited Somasleep in GTA and other mattress stores to try to see if latex is for us. We liked Soma’s 11" firm latex mattress and it was explained to be 4" firm + 4" firm + 3" medium. We did not get to ask exactly what ILD these were, but we assume that it is 40 ILD and 30 ILD (?). They did mention a few things that we wanted to get a second opinion about.

First is that they say a 3" top layer provides better support than 2", especially for my partner who is 320lbs with wide shoulders.
Second, they have their latex layers wrapped individually, and that this allows for less shifting.
Third, I notice most companies provide a soft top layer even in their “firm” options, so it was a new thing to hear there was no soft layer. How would this affect comfort and support overall, both short term and long term?

We are looking at the Presto latex mattress and are hoping to figure out what would be a similar feel. The issues are that it comes in 2" layers, and is only 10" total. We think the extra 1" made a difference overall. Could presto be customized to be 11" or 12", and can the layers be more than 2"? We really like the Soma but the price was hard to fit into our budget.

Hi Cassyu,

Yes, that’s a good idea, we also carry 3" in Medium and can make you mattress with the same specifications.

In our experience, stacked raw latex layers shift less than individual layers covered with a cotton sleeve. The reason, is that is that raw latex is tacky and tends to stick
together when placed one on top of each other. The cotton covered latex layers tend to shift more as cotton on cotton does not provide the same adhesion
as raw latex. If ever you feel that you still want each layer covered with an organic cotton sleeve, we do offer this option for s small surcharge.

What you use as a top layer is a personal choice. Most like a soft layer on top as it helps in reducing pressure points on hips and shoulders. Some prefer a medium
layer as they sleep on their stomach or backs and want a bit more support. Either firmness will provide optimal support and comfort long term.

[quote]
Could presto be customized to be 11" or 12", and can the layers be more than 2"?
[/quote] Yes, we can make the The Presto Organic Dunlop Customizable Latex Mattress in any thickness you want. It can also be made with 2" or 3" layers. Please contact us directly for a quote.

Did I answer all your questions?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

I notice most companies provide a soft top layer even in their “firm” options, so it was a new thing to hear there was no soft layer. How would this affect comfort and support overall, both short term and long term?

Many latex experts don’t recommend use of a soft comfort layer (i.e. ~20ILD) for those over ~220lbs, since they’d likely go right through it and would also result in decreased durability. Medium firm latex ~30ILD is more suitable as a comfort layer for heavier body types.

Hope that helps,

• Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your input as it’s been valuable for us. Don’t think my partner will ever go below 220lbs in the foreseeable future. I am around 130lbs, back and side sleeper, and do prefer a firm mattress, so I am assuming I will be fine with a medium top layer long-term. For those weighing less than 220lbs, are there issues long term in terms of comfort / pressure problems on a medium top layer?

Hi Cassyu,

With you being significantly lighter than your partner it is possible (or even likely) that you’d find more comfort and better pressure relief with a softer top layer. I’m not sure if MFC offers the option of a split top layer, or if Mario has a configuration he’d recommend to best meet both of your needs.

Best of luck,

• Bill

HI Cassyu,

Yes we can make a split organic dunlop latex topper in KING with one side soft and the other medium, please contact us directly for a quote

regards

We’re still testing various beds and gathering information. I’m really tending toward an all latex mattress. Some version of the latex Presto is on our short list of possibilities but can MFC really only split king sized latex layers? Our bed frame and room limits us to a queen. So I guess we may have to compromise if that’s the case. Glad to see that 3 inch layers are possible as our current memory foam topper is 3" and seems to work ok on a very old mattress on a firm foundation. But perhaps 2" of latex is closer to 3" of memory foam in terms of pressure relief.

Hi Ikonography,

If you want to achieve the same pressure relief that a 3" memory foam provides, you might want to consider a 3" soft Dunlop or Talalay latex instead. Unlike memory foam, latex is more resilient and is more supportive. Additionally, the soft Dunlop latex has an indentation load deflection (ILD) of around 20, whereas memory foam has a lower ILD of about 12. This makes memory foam softer on pressure points.