Ready to Buy Latex... Limited Tryout Ability

Hi tor,

[quote]Before I pull the trigger, may I just ask for your opinion on my final set-up? Even after all this research, I’m still a bit confused about the mattress encasement vs. the mattress protector. As I live in NYC, I definitely need the Protect-a-Bed bedbug mattress encasement. Based on this, I think my set-up should be in this order, but could you tell me if this is accurate?

Foundation
Mattress
Bedbug protector/Mattress Encasement
Topper
Topper Cover
Mattress Protector[/quote]

Post #2 here has more about bedbugs, dust mites, and encasements including a link to what I believe is among the most informative sites on the internet about bedbugs and the different strategies that can be used to protect against them and to deal with them if you do get a bedbug infestation.

The first thing I would keep in mind is that a mattress encasement will have nothing to do with whether you get bedbugs … it will only protect your mattress against being infested and needing to be disinfected if you do get an infestation. A dust mite encasement is a different product from a bed bug encasement so if you want to protect against bedbugs then you need a bed bug encasement.

At the very least … I would tend to use an encasement around your mattress and another one around your foundation (which may be an even more likely place to shelter bedbugs).

I would tend to encase any part of your sleeping system that you want to protect from bedbugs where there would be no other options to eliminate bedbugs and their eggs and larvae if you do get an infestation. If you do get an infestation then you can put your pillows in a dryer for long enough to kill them and if your topper would also fit inside a commercial dryer then you could kill the bedbugs that way as well. If you do decide to protect your topper as well then you can put them inside the bedbug encasement but I would keep in mind that the arrangement will be semi permanent and you won’t be able to remove the topper. In other words … anything that is inside the encasement would become a permanent part of your sleeping system. I would tend to keep toppers outside of the encasement and then deal with any infestation of the topper when and if it happens because it’s wouldn’t be nearly as big an issue to replace a topper as it would a mattress/foundation.

So that would mean you have an encased foundation with an encased mattress on top of it.

Now that you have decided what parts of your sleeping system you want inside the bedbug encasement … then the next step would be to add the topper (either inside or outside the encasement but I would personally add it outside the encasement).

The mattress protector is a completely different product with a different function than a bed bug encasement and is used to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition and to protect against dust mites, body fluids, skin flakes, and accidents, and to be easily removed and washed. Your “sleeping surface” would be either the top of a mattress or if you are using a topper then it would be the topper itself. In most cases … the mattress protector would be used over the topper to protect it, especially if you are using a breathable and water resistant mattress protector, although some people may choose to sleep directly on the topper (especially if it’s wool which can be put in the sun to air it out and activate the “self cleansing” properties of the wool) and don’t want a mattress protector to affect the feel and performance of the topper. This would be a personal preference. If you use a topper without a mattress protector that would also prevent moisture and skin cells from reaching the mattress and you are OK with replacing the topper in case of an accident or it becomes unhygienic and needs to be replaced a little more quickly then you probably wouldn’t need a mattress protector at all since the topper would be performing a dual function (adding softness and pressure relief and also protecting the mattress). I would tend to use a breathable protector over the topper.

[quote]ECO-Pure Wool Washable Protector Pad

Mattress Protector:
St Dormeir 24":
www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/...product.22061.36265/

I have just a couple of other questions, if you have a moment or two!

Is adding the St. Dormeir mattress protector a good idea if I have a wool or latex topper? I can imagine that this might make it harder to air out the mattress and topper? I'm thinking that if I go with a wool topper, I would be better off with something like the Shepherds Dream wool washable protector pad (instead of an encasement).[/quote]

You would only need one or the other of these two protectors … not both since they would both be used over the topper and both would provide breathable water resistant protection. I would personally tend to use a protector over a topper regardless of what type of cover is around the topper because it’s easier to remove and clean.

For the large majority of people a latex mattress with a wool quilted cover and a wool/cotton protector and sheets that are good for temperature regulation (viscose materials, cotton, linen etc) will easily be “cool enough” and adding a thicker wool topper would be more about changing the feel and performance of the mattress than it was about temperature regulation. It would be a preference choice for those that liked the “feel” of sleeping on thicker layers of wool. I would also keep in mind that thicker wool toppers will change the feel and response of any latex below it so you would “feel” more of the properties of the wool and less of the latex. I would also keep in mind that wool will tend to be firmer than a softer foam material.

You certainly wouldn’t “need” 12" of latex plus an additional topper (especially if it was latex) since 12" would be more than enough although some people may still prefer it but the only way to know which one you would prefer would be to test both of them side by side. You would also have the option of using 9" of latex and then adding a topper on top of this which would create more of a “pillowtop” feel because a topper can “act” a little more independently and “feel” a little softer outside a cover than inside it (see the first page of posts in this topic along with posts #3 and #4 here). I can’t imagine anyone “needing” more than 12" of latex even if they did prefer it.

Phoenix