Recommend A Mattress Protector

We just ordered a new mattress with a tufted top and a wool comfort level over latex and other foams over coils.

We want to protect it without changing its feel, e.g., making it drum tight, or its temperature regulating capacity, e.g., by encasing it in a nonbreathable material.

I’ve come across a lot of mattress protectors that claim to be breathable but have a layer of TPU that I would think would trap heat between the cover and the mattress.

What mattress protector do the experts use and what would they recommend for us in this instance?

@Sleep_EZ @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 @Arizona_Premium @CozyPure

Perhaps something like this?
Mattress Protector

Or
mattress protectors

or here

BSC Mattress Protectors

Life Kind Mattress Protector Wool Naturally Water Resistant

Similar Wool Water Resistant Mattress Pad Thin

We use this one during cold months. As a fitted sheet.
Cozy Pure

And this one in warm months:
Savy Rest
Available through The Clean Bedroom

We use this in guest room year round.
Berkeley Ergonomics

1 Like

@PapaMike I noticed that both the cozypure and the savvyrest are cotton but you use the latter in summer. I take it you find it’s cooler than the cozypure and I imagine less thick? I’m curious what about the savvy rest makes it waterproof because it doesn’t list a plastic layer or a waterproof coating.

1 Like

@owl_burrito The Savy Rest is thinner. The waterproof feature isn’t important to us. We use it because it was a gift. A generous one.

According to Savy Rest: The inner fabric in our mattress protector has specific waterproofing properties, thickness, and pore size that stops liquids from coming into contact with your mattress while still allowing the mattress to breathe.

@PapaMike Any idea what the Savvy Rest waterproof layer is made of?
Savvy Rest goes to great lengths to list what’s not in it without ever saying what it’s actually made of.

This mattress protector was not produced with flame retardants, formaldehyde, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pesticides, or any other harmful chemicals.

Due to pets, we need the waterproof layer and Savvy Rest has a no return policy.

I just called them and they said it’s a thin thermoplastic layer. It is biodegradable so it will breakdown over time and as a result they recommend not washing it too frequently.

Sounds like it’s the same TPU found in most waterproof protectors - nothing proprietary to Savvy Rest.

In case this is helpful, I took @Maverick’s suggestions and added them to the other’s I’m looking at. It’s a running list so not to be considered final. Probably a lot of I’ve missed. I already have the Holy Lamb moisture pad so hence why I’m not including those here.

name manufacturer type dryable price link
Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector Pad Naturpedic Cotton + plastic TRUE $127 Naturepedic Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector | Mattress Protectors
Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector Pad Plastic layer Cotton + plastic TRUE $159 https://www.naturepedic.com/organic-protector-pads
Washable Wool Mattress Pad 45th St Bedding Wool TRUE $179 Pads + Protectors | Bedrooms & More | Seattle
My Protector- Washable Wool Waterproof Sleep and Beyon Wool TRUE $195 My Protector- Washable Wool Waterproof – Cotton Cloud Futons
Organic Cotton Mattress Pad Coyuchi Cotton only TRUE $298 https://bedroomsandmore.com/products/bedding/pads-protectors/mattress-pads/organic-mattress-pad/?attribute_pa_size=full
Washable Wool Mattress Pad Suite Sleep Wool TRUE $469 Suite Sleep Washable Wool Fitted Mattress Pad | Mattress Protectors
Quilted Cotton Mattress Cover Hastens Tencel FALSE $560 https://bedroomsandmore.com/products/bedding/pads-protectors/mattress-protectors/quilted-cotton-mattress-cover/?attribute_pa_size=queen

Not sure if this one is any good, but they claim it is!
Mattress Protector, Water Resistant

1 Like

Any particular reason there’s no love for protectors made of Tencel which is more sustainable than cotton (even organic)? The Hastens pad only uses it for fill.

If you have any good finds post them I’d say. I have tencel PJs and they’re great so no objection from me. I don’t know how well it does at absorption though. If you spilled water on it, would it pass through or get absorbed and stop?

1 Like

For Tencel, I’ve come across the following:

Sleepsteady
Malouf
Naturepedic
Sweet ZZZ

They all seem fairly similar with the one big difference being their warranty length and coverage. Malouf’s warranty covers not only the protector but also damage to the mattress if its protector is purchased at the same time as the mattress. Since we already bought our mattress, it’s a moot point.

As for Tencel, it supposedly wicks moisture from the skin, absorbs about 50% more moisture than cotton, and releases it quickly into the atmosphere.

1 Like

@BedRuffles When shopping Tencel bedding products you’ll have to consider whether or not you want polyester in your bedding. Many sleepers avoid polyester.

The Sleepsteady has more polyester than Tencel. About 60/30 on top layer and 100% polyester on skirting.
Malouf claims polyester fabric without disclosing the ratio.
The Naturpedic is organic cotton, no Tencel.
Sweet ZZZ claims 100% Tencel.

1 Like

I stopped into a Hästens this weekend to take a look at their tencel pad. It says on their website that they don’t recommend it for medium or plush tensions so I expected it to be thick. The person at the store said it was fine for all tensions and it was thinner than I expected. It seemed fine but I wouldn’t really expect it to withstand much. They only sell one tencel pad so this was definitely the right one. I think the suite sleep wool is thicker for a lower price.

1 Like

So, in essence, Hästens is charging over $750 (King) for a cotton cover slightly stuffed with Tencel? I knew there was a Hästens premium, but that’s ridiculous.

Has anyone made a decision on a protector? I think I’ll be going with the suite sleep wool protector since it seems like the thickest wool protector there is (as far as I can tell) without plastic and the brand has a good reputation.

Ended up buying a sleeper :roll_eyes: candidate:

Sheets & Giggles Waterproof Mattress Protector

We just had our new mattress delivered yesterday and this should arrive by the end of the week. Will report once we get it and have had some time to sleep on it.

The top layer is made of 100% lyocell and no polyester so I’m hopeful that will help with breathability. With pets, we couldn’t avoid the waterproof TPU membrane for protection. Being made in Spain, rather than China where most of the comparable protectors are from, was also a nod in its favor.

2 Likes

Just wanted to provide an update on the Sheets & Giggles mattress protector.

• So thin it’s translucent and the bold stripes of our mattress cover can be clearly seen through it

• Soft with a slight stretch and no crinkling

• Even though it’s listed as only 13” deep, it easily fit our 15” mattress with room to spare and stays on through the adjustable bed movements

• No discernible heat or moisture trapping

So far, so good and I’ll update if anything changes.

2 Likes

Great update! I’m glad to hear it’s working out. I ended up going with the suite sleep wool protector, which arrived today. It seemed like the thickest of the wool options and the sample we looked at in the store was very soft.

We did a quick test this afternoon and it felt good. It seemed to add a slight plushness, which was nice. They say it will shrink when washed so I’m going do that before setting it up.

2 Likes