Reliable local source for "testing"

New here, so forgive me if I’m misusing the site. DH & I are lightweight, moving from a age 20+ memory foam from Joanne’s Bed & Back shop. Want memory foam–we like a “dead” bed. Have used a topper for a few years as bed is slowly sagging middle.
Now, would someone recommend a good local (retail) source here in Reno, NV to work with? We probably would be happy to replace our old bed with one similar, but really need to do some test lying down in addition to some more homework on specific materials/density, etc.

Edited to add: It was a Spine-Align, and the topper has been a 2" Red Nomad. Everything would be okay except the sagging!

Many thanks!

Hi GrumpyOldPerson and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

New here, so forgive me if I’m misusing the site. DH & I are lightweight, moving from a age 20+ memory foam from Joanne’s Bed & Back shop. Want memory foam–we like a “dead” bed. Have used a topper for a few years as bed is slowly sagging middle.

Sorry to hear of the sagging in your current mattress- 20 years is a good run for memory foam! You have come to the right place… you mention you have to ‘do some more homework’ - you might want to include reading our [Mattress Shopping Tutorial] to see how to assess a good mattress retailer, and the [Mattress Durability Guidelines] to see how specific materials compare to the [Mattress Specifications You Need To Know].

Any mattress that you decide on will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns, and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You don’t say what other layers and materials are in your current mattress, like polyfoam or innersprings, but many consumers enjoy memory foam for the ‘dead’ feeling you mention- the lack of motion transfer. You say you are both lighter sized, so I would keep in my that excessive amounts of lower grade foam can breakdown prematurely leaving ‘divots’ which can affect alignment as well as cause muscle and joint pain; you should make sure any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

Now, would someone recommend a good local (retail) source here in Reno, NV to work with? We probably would be happy to replace our old bed with one similar, but really need to do some test lying down in addition to some more homework on specific materials/density, etc.

Unfortunately, with all the business turnover in the last few years, we aren’t able to provide geographic listings of retailers and manufacturers.@Phoenix has some suggestions for Reno showrooms in This Post that might be of use, though it’s from 2017.

While you are correct in wanting to test in person, as that is the best way to see how a mattress feels, most of the Trusted Members of the site do ship across the U.S., and are experienced in matching sleepers with their ideal sleeping solution, with good customer service, quality material and construction, and generous return and exchange policies, if you do decide to explore online options. Also, MattressFirm in Reno carries Trusted Member GhostBed who offer several memory foam and hybrid memory foam mattresses that may interest you. Hopefully, other forum members in the Reno area can comment on their experiences with local showrooms as well. If you find a few mattresses you are interested in we can possibly comment on how they may work with your Stats and PPP. Here’s hoping you find the ideal mattress for another 20 years!

~ Basilio

Thank you. DH & I are both reading through the website to get acquainted with the current state of materials & market. He managed to find that our current mattress is actually a coil/memory foam hybrid. Exact density, type of coil, etc. is unknown. I knew this was going to be a trial to replace, and now I REALLY know it! I’m the Princess & the Pea for these kinds of things, so am fully not looking forward to it.

Hi GrumpyOldPerson,

Now that you know what components are in the Mattress you’ve enjoyed for so long, it will make it easier to ‘zero in’ on the type and focus on the comfort. Keep the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines in mind as you look. As long as the memory foam is of good density and thickness, you can focus on how it feels for you both. Being lighter sleepers,
I would not be too concerned over the coil support layer- any good mattress will have good quality innersprings. Focus on the feel - Remember the moral of the Princess And The Pea - she proved by her sensitivity to something wrong in the mattress that she was a real princess, got the great bed, and her prince!

I trust, with a bit of due diligence, that you can find a great comfortable mattress that will suit you both!

~ Basilio