Requesting mattress help in south florida

Hi Beth819,

I did a review of all your previous posts to refresh my memory of your experiences and to see if there were any “clues” to what may be the best next step. I’m posting some of your “specs” and background information here first to make them easier to remember (and save me from looking them up again if necessary) and I’ve also mixed in some of your previous comments with your comments in your last post when they were particularly relevant and “connected”.

So first of all some of your specs …

[quote]I’m 5’7 and 135 pds, and a side/back sleeper,

I have a bulging disc in my lower back.

thinner and taller

I’m upgrading to a queen[/quote]

When you started you had one primary goal in mind (the back pain) and sometimes because this was so important you were mainly focused on this rather than pressure relief issues.

[quote]First, about my back pain- the reason I started this whole mattress journey was because I was waking up everyday with constant back pain when usually it’s not really everyday or if it is, exercises, heat, advil, etc will help. I mean there’s always some kind of pain there but it hasn’t been this bad since I first injured it a few years ago.

Anyway, with the mattresses I didn’t like I could tell right away or after a few minutes that it’s not good because the lower back pain is either worse or still there, so I eliminate it right away. But with the ones that I liked, I said that they were “ok” because I didn’t completely love it, but it wasn’t hurting my back, but then my back hurt later on so I wasn’t sure if it was trying a bunch of mattresses or what.

The issue with the nature’s rest is that after I left my back still hurt. I know I can’t make a decision based on that, but it’s still a bit concerning when the only reason I am doing this in the first place is to help alleviate my back pain. The reason why I love my cousin’s mattress is because after laying on it for even 5-10 mins makes a significant difference in my back pain. So like you said I know the high quality materials are there, but I’m not 100% sure the pressure relief is there

Does the nature’s rest provide good pressure relief in my shoulders? I didn’t even test for this. My neck is messed up anyway and this whole time I’ve just been focused on making sure my back feels good which is what is most important to me. I can test that out tomorrow.

Yes, I can connect back pain to when I sleep on my mattress, other mattresses, etc. If it’s hard or uncomfortable I can tell right away and won’t be able to sleep and it’ll hurt even worse in the morning. I’ll also feel pain when I’m more active, poor shoe support, etc. I can tell the difference in my back pain and which thing causes it if that makes any sense.

I’m pretty much a side sleeper, with only ocassionally on my back when I can’t take the pain anymore on my left side, and even then I end up going back on my side. But I am in my bed a lot on my back, whether that’s watching tv, on my laptop, on the phone, etc. But sleeping wise, I’d say that if there was no back pain I’d be a pure side sleeper. Don’t know if that makes a difference, but I know I didn’t describe that before so I’m adding it now.[/quote]

So your primary goal was was the back pain which has already greatly improved …

This is great news and generally indicates that your alignment is good and that what you have is a good place to build from. Your primary goal has been mostly accomplished and now the secondary goal is one of pressure relief and from here it may just be a matter of fine tuning the comfort layers.

I would also keep in mind that because of the complexity of your background situation (both existing conditions and “posture habits”) and because a mattress may not be the only cause or solution to your back issues … there may be no “perfect” or “complete” solution. All in all I think you have already done very well.

In essence you found a mattress that mostly solved your most important issue and found it at a remarkable price.

Given all of this … and noticing some of the same tendencies as when you were looking for the mattress and during our conversations … I think you may be “overthinking” and “second guessing” things a bit and focusing on things like how much you “should” be sinking in or what “should be” happening rather than on what is actually happening and your actual symptoms and experience. You may also be “assessing” your mattress based on how it “performs” for other things which it is not designed for. Your body is the best indicator of what you need rather than your mind :slight_smile:

From what you’ve said … the actual “symptoms” that I can see (by symptoms I mean actual pain or discomfort) are that you have some lower or mid back pain and a “dull ache or weakness”.

This is one of the “other things” that a mattress is not designed for. This is normal because when you are sitting more of your weight is concentrated in a smaller area and the mattress is designed for your weight distribution when you are lying down not sitting up. This may also be contributing to some of your issues if you are “hunched” over a computer in bed or straining to some degree to keep your back straight when you are doing things other than sleeping. An adjustable bed can help if you do a lot of sitting up, reading, watching TV, or working on your computer when you are in bed because it will give you something to lean back against and help support your back, lessen pressure, and help with how far you sink in when you are sitting up without good back support (and probably hunching over a computer). This would be the same for most people especially with latex which is so elastic. Your weight distribution profile when you are sitting is very different from when you are lying down and a mattress is only designed for lying down.

By lower part of your body do you mean legs? Is this causing any symptoms of discomfort? Your torso (or trunk) goes from the top of your shoulders to the bottom of your butt so I’m guessing you mean the lower part of your torso is what you feel sinking in (and again this is normal because your hips/pelvis/butt is where most of our weight is concentrated). Is this happening when you are on your back? It would be very unusual if some other part of your torso was sinking in too far because most of your weight is concentrated in the lower part of your torso in the area of your pelvis. The lighter parts wouldn’t normally sink in as much. As a matter of fact … one of the challenges with a mattress is to “allow” the upper part of your torso and shoulders to sink in enough while preventing the lower part (hips/pelvis) from sinking in to far. Some clarification here would be helpful but again … your symptoms are more important than your “thoughts” about whether you are sinking in too far or not enough unless it causes actual pain or discomfort.

Sleeping with a pillow between your knees on your side is a good idea. It’s not clear to me though if there is a “symptom” involved here either. Again … how far it “feels like” you are sinking isn’t as important as whether there are actual “symptoms” (either pressure relief or alignment). Do you have pressure symptoms or other pain or discomfort in the hip area when you are lying or sleeping on your side?

This along with sitting in the bed could also be connected with the discomfort (dull ache and weakness).

If your alignment is OK then it generally means that you actually are sinking in far enough but not too far (at least in the hip/pelvis area). Again … how far it appears you are sinking in isn’t as important as any symptoms you are experiencing.

OK … now this is helpful and I think this is heading in the right direction. It seems to indicate the need for a bit more softness and thickness in the comfort layers and is “symptom oriented” which is helpful.

Keep in mind that there may be no perfect solution with your pre-existing conditions.

It really doesn’t matter if you buy a new mattress that has an extra inch or two in it (which would be more costly than a mattress with an inch or two less) or if the extra inch or two is in a topper. Having it as a topper has many advantages as I mentioned. For example the next model up in the PLB line is the Nutrition (which is softer) and based on the prices here you can see that the Nature here (this is the new model) is 10" of latex and is $2469 while the Nutrition here (also the new model) is 11" of latex and is $2749 or $280 more for just an extra inch of latex. The Beautiful here has one more inch at 12" and is $3269 or another step up of $520 for just one more inch. The additional price of each mattress would be much less than adding a topper of the same thickness and the topper would have many advantages. One of the most popular mattresses they have is the Pamper here for $1799 which is only 8" of latex (with a 2" comfort layer) which is a good mattress to add a topper and build your own comfort layer. This mattress and a 3" latex topper (if you purchase a topper with good value instead of one that is too costly) would be less than buying the 11" Nutrition for example. This is a more European way of putting together a sleeping system and it has many advantages over buying a whole “finished” mattress.

This isn’t “masking problems” but “building and customizing a sleeping system” which is very different. I personally wouldn’t start all over again which I think would be very risky and possibly costly given the success you’ve had already and when one of your most important goals has already been mainly accomplished (good alignment and back pain much better) … especially when another mattress may be even worse for alignment and you may end up with endless rounds of mattress exchanges … each one with a possible new set of “symptoms” … and each one adding to your cost and frustration. I think you are probably close to your best possible solution and “fine tuning” may be much more effective than starting all over again…[/quote]

.[quote]Yes, when laying on my cousin’s mattress the pain goes away every time. It’s crazy. She lives in ny, so when I go to visit her my back pain is gone the whole time I’m there. If I’m walking a lot, which is different than what I’m used to living in florida, the pain will come back but nowhere near as bad, and if I lay down for a few minutes after that I’m fine.

I do know the name of the model, it’s King Koil, Aruba

You’re saying that the beautiful would be too soft?[/quote]

Because of the complexity of your situation … only your testing and longer term experience can know this for sure (and again it would depend on your symptoms). As you know … when I tried to track own the specs of the Aruba previously I wasn’t successful (King Koil wouldn’t tell me) but if memory serves me right it had thicker and softer comfort layers. Based on your experiences though, while the Beautiful also has thicker and softer comfort layers … it may be too much of a good thing and I would guess that in terms of alignment it would be risky yes. I think you are much better off doing what you are doing by first solving one problem (alignment) and then step by step solving your “secondary” issues (pressure relief) so that the odds are much better of getting to the best possible solution for both.

Again … you would need to do more testing and then once again your longer term experience would be the only real answer to this. Suggesting a mattress layering based on “theory” would not be helpful IMO when you would need to test it in person and then actually sleep on it and let your body tell you what works. You are “outside of the averages” where any theory can be effective.

It makes sense but again this is coming from your mind and is not a symptom that is being experienced by your body. Are you feeling too much pressure or pain in some area as you are lying there? Again how far you think you are sinking in (and this can be “deceiving”) is not a symptom. Your feeling that you are lying on a firm mattress is much more helpful than whether you think you are sinking in far enough. In other words … “it feels too firm and I can feel too much pressure in “this” (fill in the blank) specific part of my body when I am lying on my side” would be a symptom. Again though … bear in mind that a mattress is designed to perform when you are lying down completely relaxed not when you are lying on your side typing on a computer.

Again it seems to me that it’s just a matter of fine tuning and considering where you were coming from and the challenges you are facing I think that a “fine tuning process” is perfectly normal and even desirable. IMO, small incremental steps are a better approach than bigger steps all at once (such as exchanging a mattress) which could risk what you have already accomplished (and the “value” you were able to find). You are already most of the way there (good alignment and only a little more comfort and pressure relief seems to be needed) and given the complexity of your situation, I think that’s pretty good … especially when you haven’t chosen a mattress that is too soft and can’t be “fixed”.

Just like the mattress pad from before … a topper would solve this problem as well because it would be over the cover and you wouldn’t feel it.

Overall … based on your descriptions and history … it seems to me that you just need a little more softness and thickness. It’s also important to make sure that what you do next doesn’t once again risk the return of your back pain issues. Because of this, if I was in your shoes I would probably try the Seven Comforts topper I mentioned before (and luckily queen is the only size available). It would give you a little more thickness/softness with less risk because its shredded so it may have less alignment risk and yet give you the benefits of a thicker softer topper as well.

While there are no guarantees of course (only your body will tell you how well it works and your situation is well outside of any “averages” that can be predicted) … the price is right and our past and current conversations and your experience on a mattress that probably had thicker softer comfort layers indicates that it could be very helpful in terms of improving pressure relief with less risk of changing one set of “symptoms” for another. It would also be the most cost effective solution (it’s very good value) because exchanging the mattress may end up costing you more (in terms of frustration, time, and money) and still wouldn’t have any guarantee of working any better than doing some fine tuning to what you already have and that has proven itself in “real life” to be close to what you need.

Phoenix

PS: In addition to an adjustable bed … it may also be worth considering a body pillow (you can search google to see what I mean) which may help prevent some of the excess bending, hunching, twisting, or strain that may be aggravating your situation and help provide better support when you are doing some of your other activities in bed besides sleeping :slight_smile:

Wow, thank you for writing all of that! But, I think all of that should be put on hold for now because what I was afraid of happening, happened, which is my back hurts today. :frowning: I kind of had a feeling when I started noticing the weakness, but I just figured it would subside since I’ve been doing so well since I got the bed. It’s in the same area as usual, the lower left where my disc problem is. So now what?? LOL. It’s actually not funny but humor is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

To respond to some of your comments though, I know I do overthink things, but when I was describing “sinking in” or not sinking in enough, it was because I thought it would be easier to understand in those terms. I wasnt overthinking at all for the past month and a half, until recently when I started noticing the firmness of the bed and my aches, etc. So what I’ve specifically noticed is that lying on it feels firm. I didn’t think it was too firm until now when I started to have soreness and now pain today. I can feel that my body perfectly straight, but that doesnt mean I’m comfortable. It’s not uncomfortable but it is starting to bother me more. When I was referring to my torso sinking in, I didnt mean my lower body, I meant I can feel lying on my side, my upper torso, like my chest down to my belly button being cushioned, “sinking in” in a bit. I dont feel that in my hips or legs, which I originally thought its ok if my hips dont feel cushioned because it’s keeping me straight, but I guess my body disagrees now lol.

When I mentioned the part about sitting up in bed, I didnt mean that it was causing pain, I shouldve said that I like the way it feels, more cushy, then when Im lying down, which is firmer. Sorry for the confusion. Sitting up definitely doesnt bother me.

So based on my back pain now, do you still suggest just adding the topper or trying something different now? Since you think the beautiful would be too soft, I wouldnt mind trying out the nutirition if they even have it in store to test it out. I know that they would be able to order me the old one and at the same price, so if it’s just a matter of exchanging, do you still think adding a topper is better? I looked at the seven comforts topper and I didnt really like the feel of the shredded latex. There was only site that I saw had a 1" 19 ILD topper, if that’s even what I need. I know the rest of the sites have one 22-24 size. I was just assuming I was going to need a 19" topper since that’s what the first comfort layer is in my bed, but I have no idea if that’s the right thinking?

I guess the first step is to see what your thoughts are related to my back pain now. Thanks again for all your help, I am sure you are sick of me by now lol.

Hi beth819,

I think that your current circumstances highlight even more the value of a more “modular” sleeping system.

In most cases when there are pre-existing sleeping conditions … the symptoms will go in cycles and change from time to time for reasons that have nothing to do with your mattress. In these cases … having options about a topper (or even toppers if necessary) can give you options that can help you with the different times that may have different symptoms.

It seems to me that your base mattress is providing good alignment and if anything only needs more “comfort” and pressure relief. this is a much better situation to be in than if your base mattress is too soft in the support layers or too thick and soft in the comfort layers. In this case you would be forced to get a new mattress which still wouldn’t be “modular” and may only be suitable some of the time and not others.

So I would still consider the same options unless there is clear evidence that there is some flaw in the basic assumption (that your mattress isn’t providing you with good support and alignment).

Your comments that it appears to feel too firm (and you want more of a sinking in feeling like when you are sitting on the mattress) seems to point in that direction as well.

While only you can decide whether to test the Nutrition or the Beautiful … I doubt that they would be available at the same value (and I could be wrong here) and I also think that a firmer “base” with a topper (or even several down the road as your circumstances change from time to time) would provide a more flexible and suitable set of options.

There are people who even pay “extra” for this type of flexibility and it is a much more effective solution IMO to changing needs and circumstances than any single mattress that can’t be adjusted when necessary.

While your experience may be different … it certainly doesn’t feel “lumpy” or uncomfortable … at least in my perception (and I think in Coventry’s perception who also has several and likes them as much as I do). You can see more information and her great review (along with some of my comments as well) about it in this thread.

Failing that … another inch or two of softer latex (19 ild or so and perhaps even less) would be another option. 1" would be “safer” but it may not be quite enough (depending on your best estimate of how far away from your ideal you think you are).

If you need just a little more softness … then an inch may be fine. If you need a fair bit more softness … then 2" may be the way to go.

There may even be an argument for 14 ILD which is the softest latex available. Pure latex bliss has toppers that are 14 - 15 ILD (in 2" and 3" thicknesses) so you could test this in the store on top of the mattress you have to see how you do with it. Even though latex at this softness level wouldn’t be as durable as firmer versions … it would be well worth the lower durability in exchange for years of better sleep if it suited you better. I’m not suggesting this specific topper (there are better sources with better value unless their prices are unusually low) … but only suggesting that you test it to get a sense of how it feels.

Again … I would always choose a more “modular” system when possible over a mattress where you have no ability to adjust or adapt it with the changing needs of more difficult circumstances or conditions. There is little that a “complete” mattress can do that a more modular mattress/topper system can’t do better.

One other option you have is to purchase various “cheaper” toppers from the big box stores as an experiment. This can give you the ability to return them if they don’t work out with no risk and once you have found the one that seems to work the best … then you can use it as a guideline for a more permanent or higher quality replacement

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It definitely makes sense what you are saying. Like depending on how my back is I can remove the topper or leave it, etc. I searched those links for toppers, and every one of them that has 19 ILD or lower has a restocking fee and not that many days to try it out. That’s not good because I dont know if I need 1" or 2" and there’s no way to know until I try it out, so by the time I pay a couple restocking fees, plus shipping fees, that adds up. But the only site I even see with 19 ILD or lower, is sleeplikeabear.com. Do you know of any other sites? I would definitely try the topper but that’s the only one I’m seeing so far. I can also go into a store a try the PLB 14" one just to get a feel, but it wouldnt be exact because they have the newer models now which to me feels firmer with that new blue cover. Thanks.

Hi Beth819,

post #4 hereThe better sources of toppers I’m aware of are in .

Several of them sell 19 ILD but 14 would be a little harder to find (although SLAB carries them as you mentioned).

I would start with testing the PLB 14 ILD 2" topper to see how it feels for you (even though 14 ILD is very soft and would be less durable, it may be closer to the Aruba you used to like although I’m not certain). The new PLB line is supposed to be fairly similar in feel to the old and the extra firmness may be because they are so new and not broken in yet. It would still give you a chance to get a good sense of the feel of the topper though.

Toppers are usually non returnable “personal” products or in some cases returnable with fees or shipping costs involved but some testing may give you enough confidence to order one anyway. There is also the possibility of toppers at the big box stores that may give you a way to experiment without risk.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

The only site I’m seeing with 19 ILD from that post is sleep like a bear. There’s one more, foam order that says their soft is 17-25ILD, and I emailed them to see exactly what that means. Is it possible for an ILD to be a range like that, or is it that they don’t know exactly which one it is? All the other sites from what I’m seeing are 22-24 ILD. When you say the big box stores which are you referring to?

I stopped by z mattress tonight and I tried out the topper on top of the new hybrid, celebrate? Do you even know what that is? I know I tried the 2" topper but I don’t know which ILD it is. The woman had no clue, but she said the other store has the nature there and they have different firmeness levels in the topper, so I can go test them out. Is that true or is there only 14ILD and then your choice of 2"or 3’? I just need to know my info before I go back in there lol. Anyway, it definitely felt softer and more cushy, but I’m worried that that might be too soft. So I’m assuming I’d need a 19, but in 1" or 2" I’m not sure. Unless I get something lower than 19 in 1"? I don’t know I’m so confused lol. Thanks.

Also, I took the zippered cover off last night just to see the difference and it is much more comfortable without it. It’s a tiny bit softer but definitely more comfortable. I know I probably shouldnt be sleeping on it without that cover, but I just wanted to see. So hopefully if I get a topper that will solve that problem.

Hi Beth819,

ILD is always in a range (even when it has a single number) but Talalay has a narrower and more consistent range in a single layer than Dunlop. ILD’s are never exact. For example … Latex international measures the firmness in 9 different places in a core and then they are averaged to create the rating. If the average is closest to 19 then that’s the rating. If it’s closest to one of the other numbers then that’s the rating. Sometimes the average of a 19 ILD core will be lower and sometimes higher but everything in the same range are all called 19 ILD. Differences of a few ILD aren’t noticeable. Dunlop has an even wider range of ILD’s across the surface than Talalay and will also vary from the top of a core to the bottom.

I know that Dreamfoam and Matressses.net both sell 19 ILD toppers but I’m not sure of the thicknesses they have available. SleepEz could also order one if they don’t have any in stock. If you call any of the listed merchants they will often have products available that aren’t listed on their site.

The layering of the celebrate is as follows …

3" ActiveFUSION Fast Natural Talalay
2" Natural Talalay Latex
8" Bonded Foam/Latex

Most of the PLB toppers are 14 - 15 ILD and I haven’t heard of any firmer versions but that may not be correct. As far as I know they come in regular Talalay, and Active Fusion fast response Talalay. The merchant should know and if they don’t they should call PLB to find out (they should be chasing down the information they don’t have that you want).

I would probably be a little worried about that as well. At that softness it won’t be as durable either. As far as height … if you want “just a little or “just a touch” more softness then I would go with 1”. If you want something that would be more noticeable with a fair bit more softness … then I would go with 2".

That’s about as 'accurate" as I can get because I can’t really feel what you are feeling … although my sense is 2" if I had to guess.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

So I called all the online stores and there’s only one, select foam, that has a 90 day trial and no restocking fee. It’s $300 for a queen 2" topper, and they said it’s 19ILD. Do you think this is a good price?

I’ve noticed that the back pain ihas gotten worse, especially on the weekends when I sleep more. Two things are going on; the lower back pain that i normally have on the left side, but it’s in an even lower spot now than before this mattress. The other pain is a general soreness on both sides of my back if I end up sleeping on my back for a while. And the interesting part is that the pain goes away after a while, once I’m not in bed anymore. I really hope the topper is the answer, because what would I do if that doesn’t work? I wouldnt even know which other mattresses to try, etc.

Thanks,
Beth

Hi Beth819,

It’s not the lowest price for a 2" queen size Talalay topper but then the ones that are lower may not have a return policy (and a return policy adds to the price of a product).

As I mentioned in some of the previous posts … I would keep in mind that there may be no perfect solution with a disc problem and that to some degree any mattress may cause you discomfort from time to time or to some degree because of the underlying issues involved. In other words the “best possible” support and comfort may not be enough to prevent any discomfort at all and the goal in these cases is usually “best possible”.

I’m hopeful the topper will help with this as well. What may come next (if anything) would depend on your experience with the topper. It seems to me that your base mattress is suitable so rather than trying other mattresses it would be more of an issue of which topper will provide the best possible additional pressure relief you want to add to it. With your unusual circumstances and sensitivity it may take some experimentation to find the right combination but each step will provide additional insights into the best possible combination over the longer term.

Phoenix

For the protector so far I don’t want to go over $120–that already kind of is pushing it.

You said stretch knight cotton is good and less detectable so I was thinking the the jersey one that also has a membrane.

Organic Cotton Jersey by Gotcha Covered

I do want a cotton one without a membrane if that means there’s a higher chance it’ll have even less effect to the feel of the mattress than the membrane one but full on cotton ones (without a membrane) I’ve looked at are SO expensive ($200 or more).

Most of the cotton-knit protectors you recommended are organic which is not a requirement of mine. Do you have any other in mind that have a good reputation and have minimal effect on the feel of the mattress. Again minimal comfort interference is what I really want with some protective and temperature control qualities if possible. From what you’ve mentioned it seems I would want stretch knit or jersey and to be honest I’m not really sure what either of those are technically speaking. I know jersey kind of feels like a t-shirt? And stretch knit is… stretchy…

You know what else I’m really floored by–how much MORE expensive the cotton ones are. This was a shocker to me since they provide the LEAST amount of protection.

Other ones I’m interested in:

Suite Sleep

This one looks really nice and I would probably buy it if it were Amazon and cheaper because Amazon lets you return anything but I couldn’t find it on Amazon. It’s way too expensive though but I like the look of it, it looks like it’ll stretch nicely and not interfere with the feel. Any other ones like this, maybe non-organic, to bring the price down.

Cozy Pure

I think it has to be stretch knit now that I think about it. Jersey does not seem it would be comfortable. My mattress cover now is some kind of stretch knit and I think that’s the best. I love the cover.

I’m talking about my current mattress which is the Signature Sleep 12in Memoir Chinese mattress.
Dreamfoam Aria is on the way. For now looking for stretchknit cotton protector.

Hi EZ4HZ,

[quote]You said stretch knight cotton is good and less detectable so I was thinking the the jersey one that also has a membrane.

Organic Cotton Jersey by Gotcha Covered

I do want a cotton one without a membrane if that means there’s a higher chance it’ll have even less effect to the feel of the mattress than the membrane one but full on cotton ones (without a membrane) I’ve looked at are SO expensive ($200 or more).[/quote]

The protector you linked has a polyurethane backing which is the membrane that makes it waterproof. The cotton jersey would be stretchy and the membrane would have some stretch to it as well but protectors with the membranes aren’t as breathable as a cotton fabric so there are some people that tend to sleep a little warmer with the membrane type of protectors.

[quote]Most of the cotton-knit protectors you recommended are organic which is not a requirement of mine. Do you have any other in mind that have a good reputation and have minimal effect on the feel of the mattress.

You know what else I’m really floored by–how much MORE expensive the cotton ones are. This was a shocker to me since they provide the LEAST amount of protection.[/quote]

Most manufacturers that make a knit cotton protector tend to use organic cotton which is a fairly costly material (thicker fabrics are also more costly than thinner fabrics) because cotton is the most heavily sprayed crop on earth and most people that tend to choose a cotton protector want some assurance that the cotton is pesticide free. The mattress protector post includes all the knit cotton options I’m aware of (although of course the list may not be complete) and there aren’t as many different choices with these types of protectors as there are with the membrane type of protectors which are made by many more companies and are the most popular type of mattress protector.

There has been some good forum feedback on the Cozy Pure protector and the Suite Sleep protector and the European Sleep Designs protector (which off the top of my head may be the least costly at $189 for a king size).

Jersey is one of several types of knit fabrics (vs woven fabrics). They are all “stretchy” but some types of knits are more stretchy than others or stretch well in multiple directions rather than just in a single direction.

Phoenix

Of the Cozy Sleep, Suite Sleep, and European Sleep Design which would affect feel the least you think? Also, I could not find a way to order Sleep Design’s matress…do I have to call?

Hi EZ4HZ,

I think the only way to answer this would be to find someone that has tried all of them which may be difficult (I don’t have any personal experience with any of them).

Yes … you would need to call them.

Phoenix

Phoenix this is the same problem I am facing buying a Mattress Cover that I cannot feel. Right now on our Bed is covered by a Large Mattress Cover over the older Latex Mattress and and Mattress underneath entirely that we are using. It seems to restrict me feeling the Latex Topper properly, always has. And it is fairly New! Maybe 2 months old. Do we need a separate Topper Cover for our New Latex Topper? We have not used it yet! I understand A Soft Stretch cover is important with no polyester on back. Only a cotton?
Is that Correct? And our Latex Topper is still airing out , it has a ink stain running clear down one side , same with the place they glued being a California King. Is that normal?
Whom has the best Latex Covers? I do understand this lady about my lower back has a bad issue to, I got a Softer Topper. Hope I am not sorry. The other Latex Topper Sunk at least 2" in less than 6 years. Had a longer warranty, not worth shipping back. So bought another. Will never buy from them again, yes was a good company we thought. Bought 3 Toppers from them in those 6 years, not this time!
Bunny
Thanks

Hi Bunny1999,

I’m not clear if you are referring to a mattress/topper cover or a mattress protector or a mattress encasement or which type you currently have (see post #6 here). If you are referring to a mattress protector then there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s always a good idea for a latex topper to have a dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect the topper from tearing when you handle it. A mattress protector or sheets would offer “some” protection but it’s a matter of degree. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex.

The choice of fabric would be a preference and a budget choice (polyester is generally a lower cost than cotton). Cotton would be a preference for those who prefer more natural fibers and is also better at absorbing and wicking moisture than polyester and will also be less prone to static charges.

I don’t know what you mean by an “ink stain” (unless someone wrote on the topper with a felt pen) but It shouldn’t harm the topper. California king latex toppers often have a glue seam where they glued the extra length to make the longer size and in some cases can have a glue seam where two narrower sizes were glued together depending on the size of the mold that was used to make the original latex core…

If you have a mattress protector then you can use a topper directly on the mattress and put the protector over the topper.

Again I’m not sure if you are referring to an actual cover but there is no “best” of anything in the mattress world because there are too many individual needs and preferences and criteria involved in any choice you make for any type of mattress or component. If you are looking for a topper cover rather than a protector then there are some sources for topper covers in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix I was talking about 3" Latex Mattress Topper cover! Sorry for the confusion. I did read your posting too on Topper Covers. Some are heavy looking others look thick, hard to truly see unless it is in front of me without asking your opinion which I trust.

I read this;

1. Not All Organic Cotton Covers Are the Same
    Knitted Covers vs. Woven Covers
    Questions You Should Be AskingIs the organic cotton cover made from woven fabric or knitted fabric?organic cotton latex mattress coverKnitted organic cotton covers are softer, more breathable, more elastic, offer better moisture control, and provide better pressure relief than woven organic cotton covers.
    The 2 primary types of fabric used on mattress covers are woven fabrics and knitted fabrics. They are made differently and have very different material properties.
    Woven Organic Cotton Fabrics
    In woven organic cotton fabrics, the stitches can only stretch in one direction parallel to the weave. Strands are tightly packed together and several criss-cross over one another, offering minimal elasticity or pressure relief. Typical woven materials include denim, tweed and canvas. Woven fabrics do not stretch because their fibers run at 45-degree angles to one another.
    2.Knitted Organic Cotton Fabrics
    Knit fabrics are different from woven fabrics in that the strands of yarn are looped together as opposed to being straight. Knitted fabrics can stretch in any direction because the stitches are in loops and can bend in any direction without stressing the knitted fabric, offering much more “give” and elasticity over woven fabrics.
    Elasticity in a latex mattress cover is crucial because allows the fabric a natural way to be wrinkle resistant and stretchable without becoming permanently distorted, which in turn allows the layers of latex underneath to give optimal pressure relief. This is important as reduction of pressure on the surface of the mattress reduces the constriction of blood flow to the neurological system, providing a deeper undisturbed sleep, thus optimizing regeneration and restoration that comes naturally from sleep itself.
    Knitted mattress covers are softer, more breathable, more elastic, offer better moisture control, and provide better pressure relief than woven covers.

I will look for the knitted , although not a easy find? Maybe…my eyes are not that sharp anymore to detect a thinner knit.
As it said Knitted Covers are Softer, more Breathable, and more elastic.
I guess what I was trying to say is, I want a completely separate Cover for the New Latex Topper.
Oh I did find out these accidently marked the wrong side for cutting, to make it long to be a California King. I asked he was Honest! With a Good Cover we will never see it. Wish they did not occur.

Sorry to keep asking you things , but no one I know has more knowledge then you do! You have helped so so many, I hope you know how much you are sincerely appreciated! You are a Pro, honestly!!!
Bunny

Hi Bunny1990,

I don’t have any personal experience with any of the topper covers that are listed but your best source of guidance about any of them would be the manufacturer or retailer that sells them. They are all knowledgeable about their products.

As the article you posted mentions … a more stretchy knit cover will allow the latex to contour to the shape of your body more effectively. The tradeoff is that a woven cover can be more durable and can also provide better protection for the latex against oxidation from exposure to air (see post #3 here). There are also some people that prefer covers that are quilted with various materials such as wool (see post #6 here).

There are a few vendors that sell knit covers listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I am a new owner of a Presto Latex bed (just received the 10" – 4" firm, 2" firm, 2" med, 2" soft in a split King) and I tried putting on my previous mattress protector (cotton/polyester, decent thickness) but I ended up with a drum-effect and took it off the bed as it obviously wasn’t going to work. Instead, I put a sheet under the fitted sheet to help with any sweat/etc. in the near term. I found even the sheets to make the mattress considerably firmer than it was without any layer on the bed.

Since I have this wool/cotton topped mattress – I would like to find a protector that has decent water resistance (I don’t want to damage the fabrics/mattress) but that maintains the feel of the bed and the properties of the wool/cotton cover of the bed (why buy a wool cotton covered mattress to cover it with polyurethane and lose the cooling effect?).

What suggestions do you have? The St. Dormeir sounds like an option, but might not offer enough water resistance…Thoughts?

As an aside, the bed feels a little firm (moreso with sheets on). We tried an 8" Modesto (by nature’s embrace) and it’s my understanding the Presto as configured should be a little softer than the Modesto – anyway, I will need to give it time and break in, but I definitely think the protector (even if thin) can affect the feel and sleep quality.

Lastly, the bed is a beast – almost 200 lbs. We had to unzip and move half the bed layer by layer – latex has no rigidity when it comes to moving it (which I knew, but it’s one thing to actually experience first hand). Although a pain to reassemble, it was at least POSSIBLE to move because of the split king. Otherwise, it would likely be still out on my driveway…

Hi sanndennis,

You’re right, The St-Dormeir Cotton Merino Wool Mattress Protector does not offer much in water resistance but it does absorb moisture and is unique as it can be machine washed and dried. Unfortunately I don’t know of any mattress protector that is water resistant and not made with some kind of synthetic waterproof membrane. Sleeptek makes a wool pad that is quite absorbant, but not completely waterproof. Then Berkeley ergonomics has one made of 100% organic cotton knit, that will absorb moisture and since it’s a knit it will not create a drum effect like you experienced with your mattress protector

Organic Dunlop latex is the most supportive bedding material and takes some getting use to. The mattress will soften up with use and our bodies take a few weeks to get use to a new sleep surface.

I’ve never hear anybody call our latex mattress a “beast” but in your case I understand completely :slight_smile:
The king size is our heaviest beast at over 200 lbs of solid organic Dunlop latex, wool and organic cotton. The Presto has a top-zip cover so that you can re-arrange the loose inner layers to adjust the comfort and support of the mattress. This feature allowed you to disassemble the mattress in order to move it around with more ease than a conventional latex mattress. Thank’s for sharing your experience, I’ll add this feature to our description of the Presto mattress.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario