Restava Pearl Gel vs SelectFoam Cirrus Supreme-ES and latex hybrid options

Phoenix,

After some thought I have decided to keep it local and go ahead and go with the Englander. My wife and I both liked it, it felt supportive and comfortable and was priced fairly. I purchased it today for the newly discounted price and Mattress Depot threw in a mattress protector as well. I delayed delivery for a bit, until my Leggatt and Platt S-cape adjustable base should be delivered. It should have it all set up in about 10 days.

On a side note, http://www.adjustablebeds.org/ does price match and sold me the model above for $1125 shipped (compared to their site price of $1299), which was a rather substantial savings compared to buying locally once tax and delivery were also brought into the equation. Obviously it has not been delivered yet, but their email and phone communication has been quite good.

If interested, I will provide a update once I have had a week or two to sleep on the bed and formulate a more accurate opinion on if I made the correct choice or not.

Hi jhaftie,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you did great research and made a good choice based on your own “value equation”, and even managed to get a discount and a bonus based on your knowledge of “competitive value”.

I also purchased my own adjustable bed from Olejo and they provided me with great value and exceptional service as well and I think highly of them. I dealt primarily with Daniel but have talked on several occasions with many of the staff there who are all knowledgeable and helpful.

The bed was damaged in delivery (which was pointed out to me by the delivery driver) and a quick phone call to Olejo confirmed that the best thing to do (both for them and for me) do was refuse delivery with notes about the damage on the receipt. They had a new bed shipped out in record time with no hoops to jump through (I think before they even received the old one back) and it arrived soon after. I have nothing but good things to say about the service I received from them.

I’m looking forward to your update when you’ve received your mattress!

Phoenix

Mattress was received on Saturday. The adjustable base was supposed to be delivered Friday, but sadly will not show up until tomorrow. So, thus far the Mattress has found the floor to be its foundation.

It is interesting how this same exact bed that we tested feels firmer when at home. Maybe because I am not comparing it to other beds that are firmer than it at the time. Of course it is possible that the mattress protector and sheet add to this feeling. First night I ended up with a weird back/shoulder pain and my wife had neck issues. Her alignment with the pillow while in her normal sleep position looks good, but she sometimes migrates to her stomach which likely may have been the cause. But I can for sure feel my weight being absorbed and the support distributed much better than my old mattress that seemed to have heavy pressure points in my hips/shoulder. Second night was much better for both my wife and I. She did mention that she thinks she preferred the feel of the Tempur material a bit better after the first night, but I reminded her to give it some time for our body to adjust. The bed is fairly plush, but it does not have the memory foam hugging feeling which I think she likes a bit more. If absolutely needed after a transition period and she pines for memory foam, Is it possible to add a thin1.5" or so memory foam topper to give her a little of the feel she might be looking for without hurting the support and function that the mattress is currently giving?

Also Interesting I noticed on the mattress tag that the construction states that it is 72% Foam Rubber Latex and 28% Something, Something Foam. Is that normal considering that the bed supposedly only has 4" latex and sits at around 12"?

I will give another update in a bit once we have the adjustable base in place and had some more time to adjust.

Hi jhaftie,

It’s probably a little bit of both. Just to use your experience as an example … the variations in perception when you are testing mattresses is a well known phenomenon and is part of why I talk about the 'managed perceptions" of a showroom. People will often “feel” the firmness or softness of a mattress relative to what they have just tried before it or compared to some subjective reference point which is why its so easy to “make” people feel what you want them to feel in a showroom just by changing the order that they lie on different mattresses. I think most of us have direct experience with what can happen even after a couple of hours of mattress testing (or less) where we have “forgotten” what a mattress felt like and because we have tested different mattresses in the meantime the mattress that felt one way a couple of hours before feels completely different because our reference point has changed. This is especially true if we are comparing between stores with travel time in between and it can be more true yet in the time it takes in between buying a mattress and having it delivered at home.

In addition to this … the layers that are added to the mattress at home can also make a real difference (some much more than others).

This is part of the reason I advocate for more “objective” testing against certain “targets” rather than testing based on an overall feel.

As the changes between each night also shows … the first step with any new mattress purchase … especially when it is different from the “reference point” of the mattress we are used to … is to first give the mattress some time so we can adjust to a new type of feel and performance. This may have little to do with whether a mattress is better or worse in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, posture and alignment, or Personal preferences) and more to do with “unlearning” what we are used to and “learning” something different and developing a new reference point.

Sometimes of course the new mattress really is just the wrong choice but in almost all cases if good testing was done in the showroom then it will be close enough that only minor fine tuning will be needed once the adjustment period (and of course any break in period of the mattress) is complete.

This is interesting. The mattress tag measures the content by weight not thickness so because latex is heavier than polyfoam (it probably says polyurethane) it will always be listed as having a higher percentage than it would based on thickness.

A quick rough calculation though says that this seems to be a little off.

Using a queen size as an example … 4" of 5 lb Dunlop (for sake of argument) would weight about 56 lbs.
If the mattress had about 6" of polyfoam (and the rest was fiber in the quilting) this would weigh about 42 lbs. this would be about 57% latex.
If the base foam was 1.8 lbs density then this would weigh about 30 lbs. In this case the latex content would be about 65%

Either way though … it appears that the latex content is higher than what you would think which probably points to the latex being a little higher density (or less thickness with more quilting) along with the polyfoam being a little lower density than they said or a combination of both.

Thanks for the feedback and giving me a chance to use your experience as an example as well. I’m looking forward to hearing about how things work out as you adjust or do any fine tuning that may be necessary.

Phoenix

I am considering the Restava Cool Gel Ivory 13" vs the SelectFoam Cirrus Supreme-ES 11".
I have read your description of the construction differences and the similarity of the SelectFoam to the Tempurpedic, can you explain what those differences mean and is one type better than the other, and are these two mattresses comparable products?

Hi Wood,

[quote]I am considering the Restava Cool Gel Ivory 13" vs the SelectFoam Cirrus Supreme-ES 11".
I have read your description of the construction differences and the similarity of the SelectFoam to the Tempurpedic, can you explain what those differences mean and is one type better than the other, and are these two mattresses comparable products? [/quote]

I think highly of both manufacturers and they are both invited members of the site which means I believe they would both make a good quality/value choice that competes well with the best in the industry. NOTE: Restava is no longer a member here since a redesign of their mattresses and they may no longer be fully transparent about the materials in their mattresses … see this topic.

They are both approximations of Tempurpedic mattresses that they use as a reference point but they are comparable to different models. The Restava Cool Gel Ivory is comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and the SelectFoam Cirrus Supreme is comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. They both give you a way to test a local mattress (in this case Tempurpedic) to get a better sense of how they feel and perform and see which one may be the best “fit” for you in terms of PPP. There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here that you can use as a reference in your conversations with each manufacturer.

Both of them would be well worth considering as one of your final choices and have no obvious weak links in terms of quality and durability but the biggest difference between them outside of any differences in materials and design are that they are meant to be a reasonable “match” to different mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your quick response. Decided to do a bit of footwork and went to a mattress store. They steered me away from a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and showed me a Pure Latex Bliss latex mattress, pointing out that the store owner and his family only sleep on latex. I remembered you mentioning in one letter that you, also prefer latex.

He then showed me some “Cool Gel” mattresses as an alternative to latex. They seemed very nice too. Are these cool gel mattresses similar to the Restava Ivory Gel and the SelectFoam Supreme moreso than the Tempurpedic might be? While I wasn’t that excited about the Tempurpedic Supreme, I did like both the latex and cool gel mattresses.

Read another response from you with a person who was going with latex and mentioned Brooklyn Bedding, so I looked at their site. It looks good but their warranty and trial period programs don’t seem to be as good as Restava or SelectFoam.

This is a bit confusing, not nearly as easy as I thought it was going to be. :unsure:

Thanks again,

John Wood

Hi Wood,

Yes my own preference is Talalay latex and while it’s a great quality material and a very durable foam … other people may have very different preferences from mine. The Pure Latex Bliss mattresses though are good quality and have no “weak links” although it would be well worth making good value comparisons with other similar mattresses that are available to you because they can sometimes be in a higher price range (although there are retailers that sell it for less than their MAP or Minimum Advertised Pricing.

“Cool Gel” is just a tradename for memory foam that has some type of gel mixed in with the memory foam. It’s probably made by Classic Brands (you can see an example here). There are many different types of gel memory foams (that you can read about in post #2 here and the posts it links to) but assuming that a mattress that uses it is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP I would use the same quality/density guidelines as I would for regular memory foam. They are all in the same general category (memory foam with some kind of gel added) but there are also many different versions. Depending on the type and percentage of gel added to the memory foam … they tend to have some temporary effect on sleeping temperature when you are first going to sleep but once temperatures equalize then like regular memory foam they can also sleep warmer for some people (although probably a little less than “regular” memory foam).

I don’t pay nearly as much attention to warranties as to the quality of the materials in a mattress (see post #174 here) but a latex mattress is really not an apples to apples comparison with a memory foam mattress. Their latex mattresses also have “comfort exchanges” (unlike many of their memory foam mattresses which have a 120 day free trial and return option) which means you can exchange a layer for one that is firmer or softer which gives you the ability to fine tune a mattress after a purchase which isn’t usually possible with a memory foam mattress which is usually an “all or nothing” purchase. All of the different designs and options that are offered by different manufacturers (online or local) would be part of the “value” of a mattress purchase based on the criteria that are the most important parts of each person’s personal value equation.

Hopefully you’ve also had the chance to read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices and help you decide on the type of mattress and materials, the features, and the options before and after a purchase that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you again for your valuable update. The information was great!

Just reread the tutorial, good info! Looks like I’ll be going back to work

John Wood

Hi Phoenix,

With your help, I think I’ve got it narrowed to the SelectFoam Regalis 12" or the Restava Ivory Gel.

The question now is this. The Restava has 3" of gel foam while the SelectFoam Regalis has what they only describe as a “thick 5lb support layer of select gel”. The SelectFoam rep, Peter told me something to the effect of their mattresses not retaining heat so the gel is practically unnecessary.

In your opinion, would the cooling aspect of these two mattresses be equivalent?

I’m sorry to keep bothering you but your assistance and guidance has been invaluable up to this point.

Thanks again,

John Wood

i recently purchased the Regalis hd. I will have a detailed review coming soon, just want to get a few more nights on it before I post a review. I can tell you that it doesnt sleep any hotter than my old innerspring. I am by no means uncomfortable due to temp regulation throughout the night. I do really like the mattress though (took a few nights to “soften” to what i expected to be), so if you do order be aware of this. It is rated a medium firm bed, but when i first recieved it, it was very firm feeling to me. After a few nights it has improved greatly and I am sleeping well.

Thanks Everready073!

It sounds like just what I’m looking for.

John Wood

Hi Phoenix, Everready073,

Thanks again for all your help!

I finally “pulled the trigger” and decided on the SelectFoam Regalis-HD 12".

Peter in the Miami store was very helpful and pleasant to work with, I only hope the mattress turns out to be the right choice.

I’ll let you know!

John Wood

Hi Wood,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

@Wood: How do you like the Selectfoam Regalis HD12? You’ve had it for about a month, right? What’s your verdict so far?

I’m thinking of the same mattress so I’m quite interested.

Cheers!

Bed-Dazzled,

Sorry I’m just getting back to you on this. I had knee replacement surgery just prior to getting my Regalis HD and I had quite a bit of residual pain so it was difficult to determine the source of it. I wanted to get past that to fairly judge the mattress.

As most of the posts indicate, it was a bit firm at first, even for me and I prefer firm mattresses. That firmness, along with the pain had me questioning my decision. I have now been sleeping on it about 6 weeks, my knee pain is subsiding and the mattress is softening up beautifully. I have, however, walked around on it a few times as suggested by other posts a some mattress sales people, to help the softening process.

At this point, it appears to be exactly what I was hoping for and just the way my salesperson, Peter described it. Some people say that you need at least 2 months or more to really know for sure but at this point I am very happy with my purchase.

Hi Phoenix,

Below is a copy of a response I sent to a question from bed-dazzled. It’s also easier to copy it than retype it. :slight_smile:

Sorry I’m just getting back to you on this. I had knee replacement surgery just prior to getting my Regalis HD and I had quite a bit of residual pain so it was difficult to determine the source of it. I wanted to get past that to fairly judge the mattress.

As most of the posts indicate, it was a bit firm at first, even for me and I prefer firm mattresses. That firmness, along with the pain had me questioning my decision. I have now been sleeping on it about 6 weeks, my knee pain is subsiding and the mattress is softening up beautifully. I have, however, walked around on it a few times as suggested by other posts a some mattress sales people, to help the softening process.

At this point, it appears to be exactly what I was hoping for and just the way my salesperson, Peter described it. Some people say that you need at least 2 months or more to really know for sure but at this point I am very happy with my purchase.

Hi Wood,

Thanks for taking the time to share your update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s good to see that things are working out so well now that your mattress has broken in a little more.

It was a just duplicate of your previous post that was addressed to Bed-Dazzled (which I responded to) so I deleted it.

Phoenix

Hi again Phoenix,

I’ve had my SelectFoam Regalis for slightly more than 4 months now.

Final verdict…I love it! It is exactly as described. It is somewhat firm, as I prefer, and yet very restful and comfortable at the same time.

In speaking by phone with Peter, at the Miami store, he suggested the Regalis over the Cirrus Supreme-ES due to the fact that I am a “side sleeper”. He was vey helpful and it was a pleasure dealing with him.

With your guidance and Peter’s assistance, I ended up with a mattress that seems to be perfect for me at a very fair price.

I thank you again for your patience and advice.

John Wood

Hi Wood,

Thanks for your “final verdict” … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

You are past any initial break in and adjustment period for your mattress so with the quality of the materials in your mattress it would be reasonable to expect that the PPP that you are experiencing now will last you for many years to come.

You did well!

Phoenix