Restava Westin

Hello,

I have read extensively through the various articles and forum posts on this site and have a few questions regarding the Restava Westin. First off, I should say I live in the Buffalo, NY area and according to this website there is a real big limit on the factory direct places you can purchase from. This leads me to believe that my best bet is to purchase online and after reading and looking over various sites I think the Restava mattresses are the best bang for the buck.

Some specifics about what I am looking for:

1. Trying to stay under $1,000 for the mattress itself and would like it to be a King.
  2. I like something medium to soft, my fiance likes firmer comfort layers so I am really looking for something medium in comfort.
  3. I have done enough reading to conclude that the Restava appears to have a 6" 2.5lb support layer, and a 3" 5.3lb comfort layer with an additional 2" gel quilt top.

I am looking for ideas about how this bed will measure up for what I might need. Are there other beds from online retailers that would be in the <1k price that I should be considering? Also, is it recommended to get the foundation from Restava or are there better bang for the buck foundations to be had?

I was planning to go out today and see if I could find the Tempurpedic Prima in stores as this is what Restava compared the Westin to.

Hi the4thdimension,

For the moment I would hold off on a Restava mattress purchase until their current specs have been clarified so you can make more meaningful comparisons because I believe they have changed from what is on their website (see post #20 and onwards in this topic).

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of many of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step). Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase. Which of your final choices is the “best bang for your buck” would depend on how each of your finalists compare based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would normally choose the foundation that a manufacturer recommends because it would normally be a “safe” choice for their mattresses but if you also wish to look at alternatives then the foundation post here has more information about and sources for foundations that are suitable for different types of mattresses including memory foam mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks for getting back to me!

I think I will take your advice and steer clear of the Restava until more is known. I would assume you will update the original post if you get updating information about their new configurations?

I went out today and tried some beds at various places. The first place I went was xtreme discount mattress and looked the Dutch Craft Contou-pedic 2000. This was like 7" of support foam, 2" 5lb memory foam, and 2" gel foam. The specific densities were not listed on the spec sheets.

I also looked at a variety of Tempur-pedics at Raymour & Flannigan just to get a feel of what I might like because a lot of these sites compare to them. After looking around and taking your advice into play, I have boiled it down to:

1. The Christeli Astoria 11.5"
    Astoria 11.5-inch Contour Memory Foam Mattress – Christeli

This bed comes in at $999 for a king, and has 3" of 5.3lb comfort layer with the rest being 2lb support core. I could not find any information about what they are made of. If anyone has that information and thinks its good quality stuff, chime in. The downside is they don’t appear to be Certipur.

1. The NovosBed Aria
    http://www.novosbed.com/product/aria-memory-foam-mattress/

This bed is a bit above my price range but if its a solid bed, I would like to spend the extra coins. It comes in at $1,200 and has 2" of 4.1lb plush foam, 2" 5.2lb mf, and 7" of 2lb support foam.

1. Brooklyn Bedding 10" Cotton Camilla
    http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/10-inch-cotton-latex-mattress

I would go for the king medium level 6 which comes in at $999. Though they do not list the densities, the site says 3" of blended talalay latex (60s,40n) and 6" HD foam core rated at 28 ILD for the medium bed. The downside is a foundation from them is 170 for the wire raised frame and 345 for the box-spring looking one.

Please let me know what you think of these options and which are known to last longer and user better builds of materials.

Thanks again.

Hi the4thdimension,

I certainly will yes. I have some updated information and will post it as soon as I receive a little more that I’m still waiting for (which may be after the end of the long weekend).

[quote]1. The Christeli Astoria 11.5"

This bed comes in at $999 for a king, and has 3" of 5.3lb comfort layer with the rest being 2lb support core. I could not find any information about what they are made of. If anyone has that information and thinks its good quality stuff, chime in. The downside is they don’t appear to be Certipur.[/quote]

Park Place who manufactures their mattresses is on the CertiPur list*.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

[quote]3. Brooklyn Bedding 10" Cotton Camilla
www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses...otton-latex-mattress

I would go for the king medium level 6 which comes in at $999. Though they do not list the densities, the site says 3" of blended talalay latex (60s,40n) and 6" HD foam core rated at 28 ILD for the medium bed. The downside is a foundation from them is 170 for the wire raised frame and 345 for the box-spring looking one.[/quote]

The density of latex is only a “comfort” spec (like ILD) and not a “quality spec”. The blended Talalay latex they use is a very high quality material. The polyfoam in the base layer in the Cotton Camilla is 1.5 lb density. their other polyfoam/latex hybrids use 2.17 lb polyfoam in the base layers. There is more about the differences and similarities between the Cotton Camilla and the Bamboo Bliss and the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop (made by Brooklyn Bedding’s sister company Dreamfoam) in post #16 here.

You are looking at some very good final choices but I would decide whether you prefer latex vs memory foam which can help you narrow down your choices. There is more about the pros and cons of each in post #2 here but the best way to know which one you tend to prefer would be based on your own testing or experience.

All of the mattresses you are considering use good quality materials and none of them have any weak links in their design. They would all make good choices.

Post #13 here and the posts it links to has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase including suitability, durability, and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you so you can make more meaningful comparisons between your finalists.

Phoenix