Review of Flexus Quadra-Flex Latex Hybrid Mattress and question...

My husband and I bought the Flexus Comfort Quara-Flex Latex Hybrid Mattress in June. I wanted to update on what we think of it. It has a pocketed coil that is firmer in the middle third and a 3" Natural talalay latex foam, all zipped up in a mattress cover. The top of the cover is quilted with cotton and wool. We got the soft ILD. Overall, we do like this mattress. It is soft, but supportive. When we first go to bed it feels comfortable. But during the night I wake up and it seems like I am feeling too much of the coils…a little firmer at my hips area… and my lower back aches.

The other thing that I do not like is the top has developed thick wrinkles where my hips are that are not comfortable if I lay on them. Not sure what to do about that.

I wonder if the middle might be too firm and not letting my hips sink in far enough. If I sit on the edge of the bed and am between the zones, I can definitely feel the difference. Even looking at the bed, I can see a difference. The middle is slightly higher then the head and foot.

Now to my question…What if I got a 3" medium latex topper and switched it with the soft 3" latex that is inside the mattress? Would that give me enough support? So basically, there would be 6" of latex on top of the pocketed coil. If the 3" soft latex that is inside feels too soft when it is outside the mattress cover, I could try putting the medium on top. Adding the extra topper would solve the problem of the thick wrinkles on the mattress cover top.

Anyway, can you give me your thoughts on this set-up…or any other ideas you might have to give a little more comfort, and be a little more removed from the coils. I wonder if this would make the bed feel more like an all latex mattress instead of a hybrid.

Thank you!

Hi jakofin,

From your description, I think you are correct that the 3" plush layer may not be providing enough of a transition between you and the innerspring unit, and an option would be to replace it with a medium layer, or if you want more overall material, a medium and then plush layer atop that. A comfort layer that is too plush or not thick enough can actually result in a mattress feeling harder, as the upper comfort layer is “felt through” to the firmer innerspring unit. And since you are sensitive to the breaking in of the encasement and some of the normal wrinkling that accompanies this, it could be that you need a bit thicker comfort layer. And going from 3" to 6" of latex atop the spring unit will bring the feel overall closer to an all-latex design.

While my thoughts are of course generalizations, I hope that they are helpful to you.

If you have other more specific questions, please let me know.

Phoenix

It has been 5 months since I asked this question and I still haven’t changed anything! I am still not as comfortable as I would like to be and am pretty sure I will get the 3" medium latex topper.

I wanted to make sure of a couple things, though, before I buy it. Do you believe this will give us enough support? The mattress would be, from top to bottom, 3" soft (22 ild) Talalay latex, 3" medium (28 ild) dunlop latex, and 8" zoned pocketed coils. Another question…if the 2nd layer is dunlop, will that still feel like too much of a transition between the soft and medium?

I’m interested in buying from The Latex Mattress Factory. I sent them the question about support and they couldn’t really tell me if they thought it would be enough. Maybe that is too much of an individual and subjective question. Also, I assume you like and trust them since they are members on here.

One more thing…I have a mattress protector on our mattress now and have from the beginning. I wonder if I switched to a stretchy one if that would make a difference in feel? Can you point me to a good resource for a stretchy protector that is breathable?

Thanks! I appreciate all the help you provide on here!

jakofin

Hi jakofin.

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or any “symptoms” they experience…adding the extra layer with the plush on top would increase the surface plushness and the total of 6" would be thick enough to contour around your body forming a comfort cradle which will better prevent you from “falling” all the way through and feeling the support layer underneath. The 3 zoned inner spring unit would still offer a good deep support but again it depends on your specifics, BMI, sleeping positions needs and preferences and I cannot tell if this would be supportive enough for you.

It is impossible for me to assess through an online forum if the transition layer would be “too much” for you. Many people have similar designs to the one you are now considering and this works very well for them but this does not mean that it would work well for you as again this is too subjective … you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many variables that are unique to you … for anyone to predict with certainty if the added transition layer would be “too much” for you.

Latex Mattress Factory is one of our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them for your consideration. You are correct that neither they, I, nor anyone else can predict for sure if this would be supportive enough and work for you, but you are moving in the right direction by replacing the soft with the medium and/or by adding another layer to prevent you from feeling the innersprings core under your hips. It is also worth mentioning that Latex Mattress Factory caries both 2" or 3" toppers that come with a 30 days trial period and free shipping and if the thickness or ILD of the layer is not quite right then you would have good options to fine tune it and make it work.

A stretchy mattress protector will allow for more initial conformation and for more point elasticity and may help with the wrinkles that your mattress cover developed. Mattress protectors using a polyurethane film are popular choices for use with “traditional” and component-style mattresses. Protectors using thinner polyurethane films will be more breathable. As far as for sources, there are hundreds…you may wish to read through some of the popular types of mattress protector options that are listed in post #89 here. Most of our Trusted Members here offer good quality mattress protectors. I do not keep a list of all the accessories they carry but most of them would have an option or two that fits your criteria.

Poenix

We got a 3" medium dunlop topper and swapped the layers with 3" soft talalay on top and the medium inside our mattress. We both felt like it too soft! So we put the medium on top and then it was way too firm! I tried just putting a soft comforter under the sheets and that didn’t really help.

So I still feel like I need something to add a little cushion. Can you give me your thoughts on these ideas:

LaNoodle topper - https://www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-toppers/lanoodle-cuddle-top-latex-topper-best-seller

Wool fleece mattress pad like this https://www.cuddledown.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=83,3297&T1=Z1873+102+01

Wool topper like this Wool Mattress Topper | Highest Quality Guaranteed | CuddleEwe™ 

Latex topper in 1" or 2" instead of 3" (maybe 3" was too thick in soft?)

Any other kind of mattress pad, maybe something like this: https://www.cuddledown.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=83,3297&T1=Z1323+100+01

Thanks so much for your help.

Julie

Hi Jakofin,

I can attest to the CozyPure LaNoodle topper. It makes you feel cushioned and you sink into it as it nestles around your body. It gives you the sense that you’re in a much softer bed, and it took away my pressure points that I was feeling from the mattress itself. Also, it’s a good time of year to get it as it’s currently 25% off until the end of April :slight_smile:

The only thing is that the care is a bit more particular for it, as you have to be careful not to pick it up without rolling it or the LaNoodle pieces will shift around. But the handmade quality is so luxurious that this doesn’t matter much to me. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the review! I would love to try this!

Which one do you have, the Cuddle Top (free flowing one) or the Cozy Top (one with sewn channels)? Do you put this directly under your sheets or under the protector, too? Do you feel like you have to adjust and “fluff” the LaNoodles during the night, like when you turn over?

I was considering buying the DIY material and making one, maybe only for my side. I wonder if anyone on here has done that and how it turned out. The 25% off is a good deal, though, so may not be worth it. But I can’t get a 30" wide (for 1/2 Queen) one I don’t think. Not sure how that would work anyway. Might be too narrow to be comfortable and a weird transition.

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate hearing your experience with this topper.

Thank you.

No worries :slight_smile: I have the Cuddle Top and I put it under my sheets but over my protector because I felt like having the protector over it took away the cozy conforming feeling. I have two flat sheets (I hate fitted sheets… but that’s another conversation) and so it easily fits over it.

I definitely don’t have to fluff the topper during the night, or even every day. But sometimes there is an impression that I kind of smooth out with moving the noodles around with some hand pats (if that makes sense). It is definitely the comfort feeling of an old fashioned down topper, but the latex makes it more resilient and bounces back, whereas the down would flatten over time. So, it’s much more buoyant than the down feeling in terms of “fluffing.”

Mine was actually given to me by a friend when she upgraded her bed-set, so I can attest to its longevity-- It is at least 6 years old.

Since my last post on here, I purchased a LaNoodle topper from Cozy Pure. A couple things I’ve noticed: It does take a little more effort to turn over, but I don’t turn over as much, which is a good thing. This might also be from the new 100% cotton sheets I’m using…they seem to stick to each other and make it not as easy to move in bed, as well. I also think I feel a little hotter at night, but it could also be that it is unseasonably warm here right now! But over all, I really love my LaNoodle topper! I think it’s just what I needed for the pressure point relief. My hips are not hurting as much now! :slight_smile:

However, I still feel like the zoned pocket coils in my Quadra-Flex may be causing my low back to still ache when I wake up in the morning.

The guy from Flexus told me that there is room to add 1" more inside the mattress cover, so if I added a 1" firm latex on top of the coils, but below the 3" soft latex would that would help with not feeling the pocket coils zoned middle as much? Or would 1" not even be enough to change anything?

Just wanted to run this idea by you to hear your thoughts. I don’t know what else to try, so please share if you have any other ideas

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

cbear08,
Thanks for sharing your experience with the LaNoodle topper and letting me know about the sale! I ended up buying one and really like it! It definitely helps with the pressure points I was having.

I’m curious about your comment about fitted sheets…why do you hate them? And how do you keep the flat sheets to stay on the bed? I really hate how fitted sheets get all wrinkly and bunchy during the night, but it seems that a flat sheet would do that, too.

Anyway, I’m just curious! Thanks!

Just curious, how did you find customer service w/ Cozy Pure? I’ve heard good and bad about them

I talked to Cheryl on the phone and she was very helpful and personable! My order was exactly correct and came in a decent time. I haven’t had to contact them since, but I have a good positive impression of them!

Since my last post on here, I purchased a LaNoodle topper from Cozy Pure. A couple things I’ve noticed: It does take a little more effort to turn over, but I don’t turn over as much, which is a good thing. This might also be from the new 100% cotton sheets I’m using…they seem to stick to each other and make it not as easy to move in bed, as well. I also think I feel a little hotter at night, but it could also be that it is unseasonably warm here right now! But over all, I really love my LaNoodle topper! I think it’s just what I needed for the pressure point relief. My hips are not hurting as much now! :slight_smile:

However, I still feel like the zoned pocket coils in my Quadra-Flex may be causing my low back to still ache when I wake up in the morning.

The guy from Flexus told me that there is room to add 1" more inside the mattress cover, so if I added a 1" firm latex on top of the coils, but below the 3" soft latex would that would help with not feeling the pocket coils zoned middle as much? Or would 1" not even be enough to change anything? Is there anything that can firm up the top third section of the zoned coils?

Just wanted to run this idea by you to hear your thoughts. I don’t know what else to try, so please share if you have any other ideas

Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Hi jakofin.

I’ve just noticed your older post with the same questions that got buried under the other contributions and discussions in progress. Good that you brought it up! :slight_smile:

I am glad you are enjoying your LaNoodle topper from CozyPure and that it helped with the pressure point relief for your hips. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I always appreciate it! I agree with you … the softer and thicker the comfort layer(s) are the more they’ll deepen the cradle around the body which will cause a little more motion restriction when turning and, as you’ve experienced, how much you sink in will also affect the sleeping temperature as well, but this won’t be as much as with memory foam layers. (Yes I see what you mean with the sheets sticking to each other, and getting caught underneath the body… I got trapped a few times myself. :slight_smile: )

Generally speaking, you are correct that this would point to not having enough support or the comfort being too thick or too soft. I know you tried the medium instead of the soft and it felt too firm with causing you the pressure points, but I am a bit confused as to what you have… Quadra-Flex (11"} and a topper (2" or 3") and La noodle ??? … this would give you 6’ + of comfort which may be responsible for the support issue that you are mentioning.

I did not realize that there was extra room in the cover, but depending on the setup you currently have this could be a very good solution to fine tune the mattress or mattress/topper(s) combo …I do agree with Flexu’s suggestion of adding the 1" firm Dunlop latex under the 3" of latex. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and quilting) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer both above and below it and the mattress as a whole, and even though there is no way to know for sure if this would totally fix the issue, I would say that adding it could be just enough to help with resolving many of the issues you mentioned along the way such as"bottoming out" to the coils underneath, the wrinkles that your mattress cover developed (adding the extra inch will stretch the cover diminishing or eliminating the wrinkles), and will also add more support, although I would keep in mind that placing it under 6" of latex will have less effect than placing it under 3" (the deeper the changes within the mattress the least noticeable they are). .

All in all, this could work very well for you and I would certainly rely on Flexu’s advice. I hope you’ll have some time to post back and let us know how well it worked for you.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply! What I have is the quadra flex just like it came…8" zoned coils with 3" soft talalay latex inside the cover and the lanoodles topper on top. I might try adding the 1" firm inside the cover.

This is really a question for cozy pure, but what is the best way to “fluff” the lanoodles topper? It seems there is a pile of noodles down the middle of the bed and I’m not sure how to easily redistribute them.

Hi jakofin.

It seems that you have a good plan to add the firmer transition layer.

You are correct that Cozy would be the best to answer any maintenance related questions. They already made a note about this: [quote]
easier to “fluff” by redistributing the lanoodles weekly when you are changing your linens.
[/quote]

I hope they see your post to add a bit more color on this.

Phoenix

Hi Jakofin! Glad you are enjoying the LaNoodle Cuddle Top and it’s helping with pressure point pain! The good thing about the “floating latex” is it does just that - floats around your body and cuddles your curves… with that said, the noodles do need to be redistributed occasionally. King size has more surface area so that size will definitely require a bit more maintenance than a Queen, Full or Twin size. Also much depends on what type of sleeper you are, because the more you move around, the more the noodles will shift as well. We usually recommend you redistribute the noodles weekly while changing your sheets so they don’t continue to shift. “Fluff” the perimeter by gently lifting and shaking the topper, then using your fingers “rake” the noodles that are gathering in the center and redistribute them. Again, if this is done weekly, it’s not too hard and there won’t be much maintenance. Give us a call and we can give you a few other tips as well, or if you ever want to send it back to be “refluffed”, we do that too! 800.229.7571 Monday - Friday 10 am to 6 pm ET.
Be well,
-cheryl

Absolutely NEW update of captchas breaking package “XRumer 16.0 + XEvil”:
captcha solution of Google (ReCaptcha-2 and ReCaptcha-3), Facebook, BitFinex, Bing, Hotmail, SolveMedia, Yandex,
and more than 8400 another size-types of captchas,
with highest precision (80…100%) and highest speed (100 img per second).
You can use XEvil 4.0 with any most popular SEO/SMM software: iMacros, XRumer, GSA SER, ZennoPoster, Srapebox, Senuke, and more than 100 of other programms.

Interested? There are a lot of impessive videos about XEvil in YouTube.

FREE DEMO AVAILABLE!

See you later :wink:

jakofin,
I was reviewing this thread and your comments are quite helpful. Could you give me your approximate body weights as another reference point? I know there are often preferences too, but this might be helpful.

I’m glad I could be helpful! I am 160#, side and back sleeper. My husband is 205#, mostly stomach but also side sleeper.

I still like my bed and still use the Lanoodles topper. The topper definitely adds cushioning and softness. We tried without it for a couple nights and wasn’t as comfortable…my hips were aching in the morning. When I get in bed at night I have the feeling of Ah, this is so comfortable!
The one thing about the Lanoodles topper is that you do have to fluff it periodically, but I’m used to it now and feel it’s worth the added effort.
Hope this helps!