Review of the Ultimate Dreams mattress

Hi Sst3wart,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words as well and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

It appears that the Camilla and Bamboo Bliss (on BB website) are now $200 more than the Amazon “equivalent”, Ultimate Dreams 10" or 12" (Eurotop). I’m guessing the main reason is the ability to interchange the top layer through BB. The Ultimate Dreams also mentions: “Quilted Bamboo cover contains 100% biodegradable bamboo fibers with 1.5 inches of super soft reflex foam”, where the BB one say “1 inch chemical free wool and soft reflex foam”. I remember reading somewhere (here) that anything over 1" was not good.

These Ultimate Dreams seem very popular and highly recommended, and are definitely a bargain if you get the firmness right. Think I am leaning towards the 12" over the Denver Telluride I was considering.

edit: I got info from Jacob (very responsive!). It is free within 120 days to exchange comfort on Brooklyn Bedding, it is not free on Amazon. Any information on BB only applies to BB, not Amazon. Amazon’s Dreamfoam Bedding is considered our sister company. The core foam on Amazon is 1.5#, the Brooklin Bedding core (Bamboo Bliss and Camilla) is 2.17#. Worth buying at BB and getting the 5% discount.

[quote=“JDMWDC” post=19243]So, Dreamfoam is the same company as Brooklyn Bedding? Interesting. If so, I’m wondering…

Why is the Ultimate Dreams Latex (10") on Amazon only $50 more than the Cotton Camilla (10") on the BB website? They seem to be the same build but the Dreams has a much higher density foam core. Any one do the comparison and can share?[/quote]

Hi tcat007,

As far as I know and just to clarify … the entry level Cotton Camilla also uses 1.5 lb HD base foam along with the Amazon mattresses.

The other mattresses on the BB site use the 2.17 lb polyfoam.

The Ultra Plush on Amazon doesn’t really have an equivalent on their own BB site because the top layer can’t be exchanged and is a different design although the materials are similar to the Cotton Camilla so from this perspective they are comparable. Outside of having 2" less polyfoam … the Cotton Camilla is more comparable to the Amazon Eurotop in terms of design, exchange options, and materials. There are fewer comfort options available but the exchange policy is more liberal.

The Amazon Eurotop is only similar to the Bamboo Bliss in terms of total thickness (which is not particularly meaningful). The base foam in the Bamboo Bliss is higher density than the Amazon Eurotop and the cover is also much higher quality because it includes wool in the quilting which is used for the fire barrier and wool also helps with humidity and temperature regulation (and is much more costly than polyfoam).

The guideline I use is “around” an inch or so. I tend to become more cautious once the thickness of lower density polyfoam used in a quilting layer or in the comfort layers is 2" or more. The 1.5" of polyfoam is also quilted to the cover which pre-compresses it and improves durability and removes any “false loft” from the foam. In other words quilted polyfoam would be more durable than the same foam used in a comfort layer that wasn’t quilted. There isn’t an exact point where the thickness changes from being OK to “not OK” so the guidelines I use have “fuzzy edges” to take small differences and fractions of an inch into account. With the quilting in the Ultimate Dreams I would consider the quilted polyfoam layer to be in an acceptable range where the the softening of the quilting layer won’t have a significant effect on the durability of the mattress.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=20056]Hi tcat007,

As far as I know and just to clarify … the entry level Cotton Camilla also uses 1.5 lb HD base foam along with the Amazon mattresses.

The other mattresses on the BB site use the 2.17 lb polyfoam.

The Ultra Plush on Amazon doesn’t really have an equivalent on their own BB site because the top layer can’t be exchanged and is a different design although the materials are similar to the Cotton Camilla so from this perspective they are comparable. Outside of having 2" less polyfoam … the Cotton Camilla is more comparable to the Amazon Eurotop in terms of design, exchange options, and materials. There are fewer comfort options available but the free exchange policy is better.

The Amazon Eurotop is only similar to the Bamboo Bliss in terms of total thickness (which is not particularly meaningful). The base foam in the Bamboo Bliss is higher density than the Amazon Eurotop and the cover is also much higher quality because it includes wool in the quilting which is used for the fire barrier and wool also helps with humidity and temperature regulation (and is much more costly than polyfoam). As you mentioned exchanges are also free while on the Amazon Eurotop there is a cost involved.

The guideline I use is “around” an inch or so. I tend to become more cautious once the thickness of lower density polyfoam used in a quilting layer or in the comfort layers is 2" or more. The 1.5" of polyfoam is also quilted to the cover which pre-compresses it and improves durability and removes any “false loft” from the foam. In other words quilted polyfoam would be more durable than the same foam used in a comfort layer that wasn’t quilted. There isn’t an exact point where the thickness changes from being OK to “not OK” so the guidelines I use have “fuzzy edges” to take small differences and fractions of an inch into account. With the quilting in the Ultimate Dreams I would consider the quilted polyfoam layer to be in an acceptable range where the the softening of the quilting layer won’t have a significant effect on the durability of the mattress.

Phoenix[/quote]

Phoenix,

Your level of knowledge and sharing is exceptional!!

I am trying to decide between the Amazon - Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress and the 12" Bamboo Bliss direct from Brooklyn Bedding and this information is really pushing me towards paying the extra money for the Bamboo Bliss. With the 5% discount and the higher quality etc. it makes way more sense!!

You and the mattress underground are awesome!!

Probably worth the extra $150 for the Bamboo Bliss. Since if you decide to exchange the top layer on the Ultimate Dreams, it’s an extra $75, making it only a $75 difference. You get the better base foam and the wool in the cover (although in the pictures the covers look identical). I’m allergic to wool, but under a mattress pad and sheets, I doubt it would effect me.

Just need to convince my wife that latex foam will be MUCH nicer and softer than the firm memory foam mattress we have in our second bedroom. I plan on showing her the Telluride at Denver Mattress and telling her it’s “the same” latex top layer so it will feel as good… (but I’d much rather order the Bamboo Bliss online since I think it’s a much better mattress and deal)

Hi zer0sum,

I know that it’s always tempting to look at “value” in terms of price alone or to make the price of a mattress the most significant part of “value” but when the differences are relatively small and both are in your budget range … my own thoughts are that one of the most significant parts of the “value” of a mattress is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences, how long it is likely to continue to do so (its durability), and what options you have if you need to make changes or adjustments either now or in the future.

A mattress is one of the most important purchases you can make and will have a more significant effect on your overall well being than almost any other purchase you will make (hidden or obvious). In most cases … over the life of a mattress … you will remember much more about how well you slept on a mattress than you will how much you originally paid for it (especially if the differences are relatively small).

All of these things are the basis behind what I call your “personal value equation” which is really a way to factor in all the most important parts of a mattress purchase that can determine it’s “value to you” rather than just it’s “commodity value” or the price alone.

The Bamboo Bliss is a better quality mattress with more beneficial features than the Eurotop and if these extra features have “value” to you in “real world” terms (better temperature control, a better exchange policy so you can make comfort adjustments if your initial choice isn’t close to your “ideal”, and a higher quality base layer) then the extra cost would certainly be worth it IMO.

For those where the initial cost alone is the most important factor in their personal value equation or where the additional benefits of the Bamboo Bliss are less important … then the Eurotop is also a great choice even though it’s not the same quality and lacks some of the features of the Bamboo Bliss.

Phoenix

After much research, I’ve decided to give this mattress a shot with price and quality in consideration (college student).

Hi Bennykim88,

I hope you have a chance to give us your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix - You’ve heard this before but I’ll just say it again - Thanks for all your work on this site! I’m not sure where I would be if not for all the information from you and also others that frequent this site in my search for a new mattress.

I’m trying to decide between the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Latex versus buying directly from BB with the Cotton Camilla which seems like its “equivalent”. From a personal “value” standpoint, the Bamboo and Aloe don’t make sense for me personally, but I was wondering if you knew why BB decided to offer only 2 firmness choices for the CC? I appreciate the piece of mind with BB’s exchange and return policy, but also like the personalization in the Dreamfoam in that the entire range of firmness can be chosen.

Thanks again for your time!

Hi dhou,

I’m glad the site could help you and you are certainly looking at two good options :slight_smile:

I don’t know for sure (you could ask them to get the “definitive” answer) but it’s their entry level mattress so my guess is that they probably wanted to make the choices less complex and make their top two firmness levels available for the sake of simplicity and the economics of having fewer options.

Phoenix

Finally I will have a place to rest my spine!

Considering I too am on a budget, I’ve finally decided on the Ultimate Dreams 10" latex mattress
I’ll be sure to return with updates…

Many thanks to Phoenix for creating this indispensable resource.

It has arrived! Will report back soon…

Hi phate,

You’ve certainly making a good choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when the tree marks reach the day of the mattress’ arrival :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress!

Phoenix

This is my very first post; as already mentioned this is Great Site with Great Information. I go between this site and another mattress review site. My wife and I are in need of a new mattress. Our 14 yr old Aireloom double-side pillow top innerspring mattress had served us well, but is showing her age and it time to go. So I started my quest to find a new mattress. We visited a few brick and mortar stores and tried a couple of beds, primarily Serta iComfort and iSeries. My wife like the hybrid iSeries bed; but I wasn’t crazy about it. We also tried some memory foam beds; but getting in and out of some were difficult. Both my wife and I are not small people. You would definitely put us on the heavy side of the scale; so I’m concerned whether or not a foam or latex bed is suited for us. I hear so many good things about them.

I initially started my search looking at the Saatva mattress. A family member purchased one and loves it. But base on my research I was concerned with going with another innnerspring mattress. My wife and I are also interested in purchasing an adjustable base (Leggett & Pratt) for our new bed.

Which leads me to my first question will an adjustable base reduce the life and efficiency of a foam / latex mattress?

I’ve been currently looking at Ultimate Dreams mattress on Amazon and seeing a large number of positive reviews. Now I just noticed Brooklyn Beddings Bamboo Bliss and the Aloe Alexis. Not sure if the Aloe bed is worth the extra cost. But being heavy people we are concerned about getting two thin of a mattress so to speak. Our current mattress is about 15" thick, it was probably close to 17" when we bought it new 14 yrs ago.

Both my wife and I are primary side sleepers and occasionally back. We like a firm mattress, but not a hard mattress.

So is it possible for a large couple, who desire to lose weight, to find a comfortable foam/latex mattress without having to break the bank?

Hi cviz,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place i would start your research is post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

If the mattress uses materials that are suitable for use on an adjustable bed then in most cases no or at least not significantly. All mechanical forces such as compression or bending will have some effect on the materials over time but better quality materials or foams are very durable and can easily withstand the extra bending with little negative effect on durability. I would also make sure you ask the manufacturer or retailer of a mattress about using it on an adjustable bed to confirm it would be suitable (there are a few exceptions or foam types which may not do as well on an adjustable bed) and to make sure it meets the criteria of the warranty.

The thickness of the mattress is not nearly as important as what is in the mattress. Thick mattresses that use lower quality materials (which is the “norm” with many of the major manufacturers) are less durable than much thinner mattresses that use higher quality materials. Mattress thickness in other words is more of a marketing poly if the thickness comes from lower quality materials. There are some legitimate benefits in some cases for a thicker mattress which uses high quality materials though which you can read about in post #14 here.

A mattress softens and breaks down from the top down so the top layers of a mattress are the “weak link” of most mattresses in terms of durability and the heavier you are the more important the quality of the top layers are. For someone who was lighter the top 3" or so may be the most important while for someone who was heavier then the top 6" or so may be more important because heavier weights will sink into the mattress layers more deeply. The extra layer of latex is a “transition” layer which acts partly for comfort and partly for support and in addition to the performance benefits … latex is more durable than polyfoam. You can read a little more about some of the benefits of all latex vs a latex polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here. In the case of the Aloe Alexis, the top two layers (6") would be latex so this would be beneficial in terms of durability for higher weights than a mattress where only the top layer used latex such as in the Bamboo Bliss (which uses high quality materials but only has 3" of latex so if you were heavier then you would “go through” the top 3" more and the durability of the layers below this become more important).

I guess it would depend on the relative size of the bank but IMO, in most cases absolutely yes :slight_smile:

The other benefit of a mattress which has exchangeable layer is if you do lose weight and your needs and preferences change as a result then you can just replace a layer for a different firmness/softness level instead of the entire mattress.

Phoenix

I’m glad I came across this thread while looking into a new mattress. I am pretty set on Ultra Plush with a softness of 10, as I’m only 150 lbs and an avid side sleeper. Would a slotted bed base such as the Sultan Luroy from Ikea be appropriate for a mattress of this nature? Or do I really need a box spring. I know nothing!

Hi amart798,

You can read more about the different types of foundations that are suitable for different mattresses in post #1 here and the post it links to.

You can see Brooklyn Bedding /Dreamfoam’s suggestions for a foundation here and in most cases a foam mattress does best on a firm non flexing foundation or platform bed not on flexible slats or box spring (unless the mattress is thinner and your specific experience or testing or the specific recommendation of a manufacturer indicates that a flexing support system would be better for you on a specific mattress).
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint:brooklynbedding.com/memory-latex-foundations.

Phoenix

To answer this question, I just called Chuck and asked him about the difference. They are the same mattress with exception of the zipper top in the more expensive Cotton Camilia. He was super nice BTW.

I went ahead and ordered the Dreamfoam as the zipper isn’t that important to me.

Thanks for the wonderful site, and wealth of information guys. I’ll be sure to post my thoughts after I receive the bed (and free pillow!).

Hi Stridingman,

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Out of curiosity … what firmness level did you choose?

Phoenx

I just ordered mine and can’t wait.

Hi Nealdo,

You won’t have to wait too long because they normally ship very quickly.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix