Rocky Mountain Mattress - Conover? - Also need some advice on new MemFoam King purchase

Hello everyone, and Mr. Phoenix.

1. This site has been great, thanks for all of the positive vibes and great information.

2. We live in a city close to Conover, NC, so I was excited when I saw on your list of recommended manufacturers that they were so close. Is that an error? I believe they are in Utah based on their website, and no map app or other links via my smart phone today could find a Conover address for them today.

3. HELP WITH PURCHASING: my wife and I have had our king size innerspring mattress and box spring for 10 years, an innerspring, and the time has come for change. i have a herniated disk and she has some back issues, so we are strongly pursuing a memory foam (latex as well, sorry for my terminology). My current local choices (and we are looking for value based on your suggestions Phoenix) are:

Mattress Firm (3 locations within a mile of one another :dry:
The Original Mattress Factory
Mattress Barn
Ashley Furniture
and coming within a week is a Sleep Number store.

I visited both Mattress Firm and The Original Mattress Factory so far. MF is as said, very nice but not very knowledgeable in terms of foam density and such, and were very much wanting to close a deal on a Tempur-pedic. But they were nice ladies. OMF was nice as well, but no sense of wanting to close a sale (I like that) and said that their Memory Foam line was intended to be middle of the road in the industry of Memory Foam when they introduced their line. I have yet to explore Charlotte, and have seen your links to various stores.

my budget cap is $2000.00, and have seen some of your recommendations go as low as $800.00 for mattress only, but those are online. I also have a large truck so transport and returning are not an issue, and being a salesman that covers half of my state hitting other locations is no issue.

QUESTIONS:

• THe OMF King models for Latex and MemFoam are right at $2000.00 for a set. I laid on them and felt good. Is that a good value (subjective, I know, but you seem to rate their foam very well)?

• Is there a new discovery of a store for something within an hour drive that you feel would be beneficial to check out?

• I am a side-sleeper, my wife is a stomach sleeper. I would not care if we slept in a ring of fire so long as our bodies were in better shape as a result of the mattress :stuck_out_tongue: . If that helps in your advice to us I would appreciate it.

Thanks much!

EB

Hi Eagleback,

Welcome … and I’m glad the site could help you.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start would be the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (which would include many of the local choices you mentioned).

Rocky Mountain Mattress is based in Utah but the factory that makes their mattresses is in Conover. The Lake Mattress retail location in Mooresville used to have some of their mattresses on the floor where you could test some of the Rocky Mountain Mattresses but the retail location in Mooresville has been closed so local customers can now go to the factory in Conover. They don’t have any complete mattresses in a showroom there but they will put layers together that can give you a good sense of what any of the Rocky Mountain mattresses would feel like. I’ve updated the information in the Hickory, NC list here and in the Charlotte, NC list here and in the High Point, NC list here and in the Hendersonville, NC list here to reflect the changes.

I think highly of the quality and value of the OMF mattresses yes and they are transparent about the materials they use in their mattress but only you can decide on the “value” of a specific mattress purchase and how it compares to your other “finalists”. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress in post #13 here that can help you make meaningful “value” comparisons with other mattresses.

If you are close to Conover then the better local options and possibilities I’m aware of would be in the Hickory list in post #2 here.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make mattress suggestions based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” so I never recommend specific mattresses so any advice I can provide is always limited to “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix