ROMA MATTRESS - Medium vs. firm side, which side is which?

I have been sleeping on a SleepEZ Queen layers mattress since 2013 and I love it. Recently, we refurnished a guest room in our home and I chose the ROMA mattress. We had our first guests last week. Last night, I decided to sleep on the mattress to see how it felt for our guests. I found it hard as a rock and struggled with pain all night long. I have no pain with my layered SleepEZ mattress. My husband and I tried to figure out if we have the firm side up, but we couldn’t tell. Is there a label we are missing? Also, if we add a topper, which one will make the bed feel like our regular SleepEZ layered mattress? We have two medium layers and one firm layer in that one. We sleep with the medium layers on top. Thank you!

Hi KnealKC and thanks for the order(s) and thanks for reaching out on this! There is a big tag on the head or foot of the mattress that says Roma. If that tag is facing up, then the softer side is facing up. If the tag is facing down, then the softer side is facing down.

The only way to get a mattress that feels like the layered mattress is to order another layered mattress just like the one you have, and even then it might feel a bit different because Dunlop is only available in a range of firmnesses. For example, if we sent you 10 medium Dunlop layers, they will all feel slightly softer or slighter firmer than each other. So I’d like to just offer some advice on how to choose the right topper, and hopefully this will help you get the feel adjusted properly on the Roma.

Please keep the following in mind when choosing a thickness for your topper: A 2" topper will make a noticeable difference but, depending on how much you want to change the feel of your mattress, may still leave something to be desired. The 3" topper will change the feel of your mattress the most, and if that’s the change that you’re looking for then this would be the best bet. The best way to summarize it would be to say that a 2" topper will make the mattress feel moderately softer and the 3" topper will make the mattress feel much softer.

Both the thickness and the density makes a difference when choosing a topper. Ultimately, how you make your decision will depend on the following: how firm your mattress is now; how much softer you want your mattress to be; your height, body weight, and sleeping preference (For example, if you weigh more than about 200 lbs I would recommend a medium topper; if you weighed more than 200 lbs and bought a soft topper, you would likely bottom out and sink right through the topper to the firm mattress that you’re trying to move away from).

Aside from that, Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so Talalay is much more common for toppers.