Saatva Classic mattress online

@Cheri Profile - Cheri - Mattress Underground that is great, let everyone know what the first night is like on your new baby! So cool when you get something that is just right.

1 Like

Shovlin delivered our Classic Tri Zone yesterday (with a nice bottle of wine)! Itā€™s a beautiful mattress. Very firm and supportive. Considering it was the first night with it, I didnā€™t expect to sleep good but actually slept a few hours more than usual. I wonā€™t say I woke up with no pain, but I think itā€™s partly because itā€™s new, but mostly because I donā€™t think I moved all night. The mattress looks great with sheets and the quilt on it, and Iā€™m so impressed with the quality. Itā€™s every bit as nice as the display was. The delivery guys told me one of them made the box spring and the other one made the mattress. They seemed proud of their work, and they should be. They did a great job! My husband kept hitting the snooze and had a big smile when he got up. He loves the new mattress.

1 Like

Congratulations on the new mattress. Very happy for you. Use it in good health!

1 Like

Cheri,
Last night was the 1st night I slept with my new horsehair pillow. This version is all horsehair, no cotton or wool batting that some add to the horsehair pillows. I will now add it to my list of pillows in my other post as Horsehair Pillow. I was so long ago since I slept on horsehair anything, I almost forgot what it felt like. I stacked my horsehair pillow (removing the TP Procloud Hi that I actually really like) on top of the same tempurpedic soft and conforming that I use as my base pillow. I slept like a log, in such a deep sleep, I cant exactly explain it. Not sure if it is psychological or physiological, but I slept great. It was a completely different feel from any of the pillows I listed that I own and tried. The pillow leaves an impression of my head and neck when I first get up and I can actually watch the pillow spring back, as if it as a mid recovery memory foam or latex foam. Unlike a feather, or wool pillow that compresses and you have to fluff it back, the horsehair just springs/expands back to original fluff position. When you first lay on it, the feeling is very soft and fluffy, then it compresses a little, about half way, just like my TP Procloud Hi, but with a different feel against my head. It is not hard or super firm like my when my wool pillow compresses, it has a tiny bit of springiness to the compressed hair. A more secure feeling of support to my head, neck and upper shoulders and it just stays that way regardless if I roll on my back or switch sides. The feeling as it compresses is different than any other material, hard to describe, but it does feel comfortable. I suspect for those who like a plush feel with a bounce, they may not like it, and it doesnt have the pushback of talalay or dunlop. But, it is only day one. :sleeping:

2 Likes

That sounds like an awesome pillow! I just told my husband this morning if I had tons of money I would order a horse hair bed topper. He said he wouldnā€™t be able to sleep on it with his allergies. I explained that the hair is sterilized enough times to eliminate allergens. So, now Iā€™m jealous, although I love my new shredded latex pillow and had husband try it. He wanted one, and I wanted a latex topper, so we ordered a 2" soft topper from Sleep on Latex and a pillow for him. Their customer service is excellent. I sent an email explaining that we love our new Shovlin mattress, but itā€™s a little too firm, even for me. I thought a 1" would be good, but Joe from SOL said I wouldnā€™t notice much difference with that and suggested 2" soft. I got a shipping notice soon after the order was placed.

I canā€™t believe you got your pillow from Italy that fast! If the photo is your actual pillow, it looks well stuffed. Iā€™m sure it was a bargain considering how long it should last. My mother in law has a beach house in MD and we go there a lot, and I used to feel sorry for the Amish horses we pass on the way with their tails all trimmed short. I said Iā€™m sure theyā€™re cutting them to sell for mattresses and pillows. I saw itā€™s $300 to $400 a pound!

1 Like

The horsehair is hypoallergenic and is dustmite resistant. That was a picture of the actual pillow on my bed! I am thinking of ordering another pillow, but i want to sleep with this one a couple of weeks. I checked the website and the pillow increased in price 50% from a week ago. They shipped DHL express. It only took like 3 days, crazy fast. Itā€™s interesting when you take your hand and push on the pillow, is is very springy and responsive. I am going to watch his prices, hopefully it will come down again. I should have just ordered two pillows to maximize the $45 shipping. These guys here in NJ are the only place that sells horsehair pillows.

They are a bit pricey and use darker horsehair. But they have toppers too. I have spoken to them on reddit a few times, but i have read a few complaints about their customer service and non chalant attitude, which bothers me. They do make old fashioned mattresses and boxsprings the same way they did 100 years ago. But it seems like shovlin does customer service better. I wonder if shovlin can make them?

You wonder if Shovlin can make horse hair pillows? Iā€™m sure they could. I donā€™t know that they ever have though. They sell Bedgear pillows. Not to bash Bedgear, but the pillows seem pricey for what looks like a mishmash of foam in them, and I couldnā€™t find info on what that is on the website . Maybe you could call Shovlin and ask. It could be a new market for them. Iā€™m not sure if I mentioned this, but I love the surface of our mattress. I think the tufts in the top layer of our past few mattresses were contributing to the sagging feeling. Those tufts can be pretty deep indentations. Shovlin is open every day, so you should be able to catch someone there. I think they should make latex and horse hair toppers too. If you live close enough to visit them, youā€™ll see why Iā€™m raving so much about their quality.

1 Like

Sorry Batmannorm. I tried to correct my reply. I was trying to say maybe you could call Shovlin and ask if they would be willing to try making a horse hair pillow. I know they do special orders for camper and boat mattresses, so itā€™s possible.

1 Like

I live about 30-40 min south of them. So it would not be a big trip for me. Glad you love your mattress. I was helping someone and their tufts were very deep on their mattress and i thought it may have been the cause of their issue. It is a thing! It is a great feeling when you come home to a new mattress and lay down and just say ahhh! Turns a rough day into a pleasurable ending.

1 Like

Awesome! You can try the horse hair mattress if you go for a visit.

1 Like

Just order another pillow, and 1kg of additional horsehair fill. Love the pillow! Want a little more loft, so I will add 1/2kg of stuffing to each pillow to up the loft and feel. I have been sleeping like a log! How has the mattress been working for you?

Iā€™m happy you like your pillow! We just had a Sleep on Latex topper delivered today. This is kind of a long story, but I couldnā€™t get comfortable on the new mattress, so we ordered a 2" soft Dunlop topper. I donā€™t remember if I mentioned that before. I was waking up with bad back pain and thought it would help. So I had the bed apart, sheets and mattress protector washed and hung on the wash line, then decided to try the bed with nothing on it. It felt nice like the one in the showroom. My husband was getting ready to leave for work, and I told him to try the bed. He said it felt really good, so I determined that our mattress protector is too thick. Itā€™s a cooling waterproof protector, but has a quilted texture. I guess I could have avoided needing a topper, if I had replaced the protector with a thinner one. We only have it a year and a half though, and itā€™s nice to have the topper anyway. So the mattress is perfect! No body impressions at all and very supportive.

That is so weird that a mattress protector would cause that much disruption. The topper is a good thing to have on the mattress anyway as it does extend the life of the mattress. Although with the shovlin, I dont think that would be an issue. Let me know how you and your husband feel about the 2" soft topper on the mattress. That is just crazy with the protector. I am really surprised. I know that when you have sheets pulled very tightly on the mattress, it will affect the feel and actually make it feel firmer. Well good luck with it, you may need to adjust a bit to the new mattress, kind of like the kiwi, but I think this one will be better as it is unlikely to soften like the kiwi did. Good luck with it!

I know I was shocked at how much better it felt without it. Iā€™m sure this mattress is going to last a really long time. I really love how itā€™s made and that itā€™s flippable. I was so worried I would have to call them and do an exchange or have the lumbar support taken out. I know thereā€™s an adjustment period with any new mattress. It was actually a Saatva Luxury Firm that we returned. Their customer service was excellent at least. I didnā€™t think they would refund for the foundation because one of our cats clawed through it to make his own hammock, but they refunded all of it. I know some people do ok with Saatva, and maybe it depends which factory builds it, but ours wasnā€™t good for us. Did you make it to Shovlin to try the horse hair mattress yet? Let me know if you like it when you get there.

Sorry, i was helping someone with their kiwi, got mixed up for a second. I was hot on saatva for a minute, after i rejected, the aireloom S&F and the BR Black, i was looking at saatva, but got freaked when i read the individual reviews. I rejected that one too. I am sure the shovlin will work out just fine. Didnt get up there yet, been busy at the day job. I was looking at the place in Italy where i bought the pillows, they sell the horsehair toppers and mattresses. I just checked and the 2nd pillow is on back order. Seems like a lot of places are on back order on horsehair products all of a sudden.

Itā€™s all fine. I didnā€™t want anyone reading this to think Kiwi had any issues. Iā€™ve never read anything good or bad about them. I know exactly what you mean about the Saatva hype. I watched YouTubes and thought it had to be the perfect mattress, especially with so many nice reviews. Then after it didnā€™t work, and I found this forum, I realized how stupid I was. I really appreciate how much help youā€™ve been. Do you know what the Italian horse hair price range is for the mattresses? I canā€™t imagine as much as Hastens which itā€™s more like buying a corvette convertible just to keep up with the Jonesā€™. Honestly, the one at Shovlin was super nice, but I only care that a mattress is comfortable and hope I can be a help to someone through my own experiences.

1 Like