Saatva mattress by Loom & Leaf

We have been researching mattress for about a year now, think we’ve narrowed it down to at least a memory foam. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or has any comments about the Saatva by Loom & Leaf? The website of course had nothing but the best to say about it, my only concern is they don’t sell to stores or manufactures they say to cut the cost. I’m a little apprehensive about purchasing a mattress online that I’ve never seen or felt. We had decided to go with the Tempur Pedic before I found this one that came highly recommended on Consumer reviews website. Price wise there is a great difference the Temp. running about $3,000.00 with a 10 yr. warranty verses the Saatva which is only around $1,400.00 with a 15 yr. warranty for what we need. It’s not about the money we would rather purchase the best one that will last us the longest. Hope to hear something…anything about the Saatva. Thanks so much,

Hi KPinge,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

You can see some comments about the Loom & Leaf along with many of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic. The first post in the same topic would probably be worth reading as well.

I would be somewhat cautious with the Loom & Leaf because of the convoluted layer of 4 lb memory foam (which is less durable than a solid layer of the same material) in combination with their 1.5 lb base layer which is a lower density and less durable material than I would normally like to see in this budget range. There are also some comments in post #5 here and a forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about it as well. For most of the members here there would certainly be better quality/value choices.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because most consumers have little knowledge about mattresses and mattress materials or how to assess the quality of the materials in a mattress and any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Most of the Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials but as you know they are in much higher (and mostly unjustifiable) budget ranges and for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to many other smaller manufacturers that use similar (or in some cases better) quality materials that are in much lower budget ranges. You can read more about Tempurpedic in posts #1 and #2 here.

I would also keep in mind that mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you need to replace it. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including memory foam) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix

KPinge wrote:

Just an FYI, Saatva doesn’t make their own mattresses. They actually employ manufacturers (independent licensees) to make their products. This is the case with many of the online-only companies. Very few own the manufacturing facilities and actually produce their own products. Just in case that’s important to you.