Saatva, Novaform, Charles P. Rogers, etc. for 5'11" 190 Lb. Side Sleeper

I am new to the site but have already found the resources very useful. I am a golfer so have dealt with back issues for quite sometime. My wife and I have tried multiple mattress options over the past 9 years but have yet to find something that suited both of us. After trying a Sealy Euro Top firm from Costco, we tried a 4" foam mattress topper which seemed a bit too soft and way too hot for me in the winter. We decided to make an investment in a new mattress this year but the Casper return policy and price point was too good to pass up. After about a month, we have decided to return which appears to be very simple. The Casper was too firm for me and my wife. She sleeps on her back some and on her side some but was forced to sleep on her back so as not to have her arms fall asleep. I had the same issue but also struggled with heat (although much less hot than the 4" foam topper). While I love finding a good deal, I am willing to make an investment in a mattress $2K+ but want to make sure that the quality is driving the price and the mattress fits us. I have looked on consumer reports and the Novaform from Costco rates rather highly and the gel in the top layer may help with the heat (there are other, more expensive options but are they better?). The St. Regis mattress from Charles P. Rogers also looks like a good option but should I get the gel option (cooler but firmer), again could the more expensive models be a better fit? While the Saatva was a contender, after reading that it transferred motion more than others on Consumer Reports it fell below others. I could try both the St. Regis and Novaform fairly risk free but would not mind paying up for other options. I have been very wary of going to a mattress store due to the sales nature environment and not being wild about laying on a mattress for 10-15 minutes each where many others have been. I feel like I am know enough to be even more confused and am not sure I have the time to do a lot more research or shopping. My main questions are whether the options that I have mentioned are good quality options, I realize that every person is different and will react differently to a mattress. What other quality brands should I consider? I am in Chattanooga, TN. Thank you for your help.

Hey, I’m pretty new to this (I haven’t even made a decision myself), but I’ve been looking into Charles P. Rogers beds as well. What I can tell you from my research is that the St Regis and any other models other than the “Powercore” models are produced in China. The reviews and reports seem to reflect that as well. Maybe better than your standard big brand bed, but nothing special.

Their Powercore Plus seems to have a strong focus on cooling “gel infused memory foam”. The Powercore Estate is a pocketed-coil mattress with a Talalay Latex comfort layer.

The company doesn’t list any real in depth specifications on their mattresses unfortunately. I’m going to contact them about the Powercore Estate to see if they can shed some light on the materials used and ask about them here on the forum. You and your wife seem to enjoy the memory foam beds aside from the heat the cheaper materials can produce. I’d try to find more detailed information on the Powercore Plus models if it’s in your price range (add the items to the cart; there are pretty deep discounts after the items are added to the cart).

Again, I have no experience with Charles P. Rogers beds personally, I’m just telling you what I’ve read in my limited research of them.

Thank you, that is exactly the information that I am looking for. Best of luck in your search.

Hey no problem. Also for the record, I believe all of the Charles P. Rogers beds have coils. It’s sort of their thing. That’s the main reason my wife and I have been looking at their beds because we both really like inter-spring mattresses. If you were looking for something without coils, something else would probably be a better fit for you.

Good luck!

Hi Herdo,

I’m sorry to hear that your Casper mattress didn’t work out for you but the good news is that they have a great return policy so there was little risk in trying it. Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is its construction and the durability of the materials inside it (see post #13 here). I would make sure that you find out the quality and durability of all the materials in any mattress you purchase and I would be cautious with the Novaform mattresses which often use lower quality and less durable materials in their comfort layers which can soften and break down prematurely and lead to the premature loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress much too quickly relative to the price you paid for it.

You can also see some comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. As you can see I (and most knowledgeable people in the industry) would consider them to be a unreliable source of guidance about purchasing a mattress.

You can also read more about gel materials in post #2 here but for the most part the cooling benefits of gel are fairly temporary and while they may help a little while you are first going to sleep once temperatures equalize they won’t last over the course of the night.

I think that Herdo has covered most of the more important information about Charles P Rogers but there are also some additional comments and information about them in post #34 here (and the rest of the topic) and in this topic and a forum search on Charles P Rogers (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

There is an analysis and more detailed information about Saatva in post #1 here and a forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Brand shopping can be among the most risky ways to choose a mattress because all manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials and most of the most heavily advertised and most commonly available brands that you would recognize are the ones I would avoid anyway (see the guidelines here) and many of the better manufacturers are smaller and are only available locally or regionally. The name of the manufacturer on the label won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here).

I would focus much more on the types of mattresses and materials you tend to prefer and on using the information in the tutorial to find more knowledgeable retailers or factory direct manufacturers either locally or online that are completely transparent about the materials in their mattresses and that can provide you with the type of guidance that can help you make the best possible choice regardless of the brands they carry.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Chattanooga area (subject to the value guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix