Saatva vs Charles Rogers power estate 7000 vs parklane the alder vs design sleep

Hey Phoenix,

I’ve recently been looking for a new mattress and after doing Some research I’ve pretty much come down to a couple of options: Charles P Rogers p
Power Estate 7000, Saatva luxury firm, Parklane The Alder and Design Sleep New Paris. I’d like to know your opinion on these and also any other recommendations you would have… I’m looking for a coil on coil for good support but not too firm and would like the best bang for the buck. I’m also a side/stomach sleeper.

Thank you

Hi Medrano,

[quote]I’ve recently been looking for a new mattress and after doing Some research I’ve pretty much come down to a couple of options: Charles P Rogers p
Power Estate 7000, Saatva luxury firm, Parklane The Alder and Design Sleep New Paris. I’d like to know your opinion on these and also any other recommendations you would have… I’m looking for a coil on coil for good support but not too firm and would like the best bang for the buck. I’m also a side/stomach sleeper.[/quote]

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would always keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The mattresses that you are considering are all very different from each other. The Saatva is a “coil on coil” mattress that uses a Bonnell innerspring for support and includes some additional polyfoam and fiber that are lower quality/density materials that could be a weak link in the mattress. The Power Estate 7000 is a latex hybrid mattress that uses a pocket coil for support under the latex. The Parklane Alder is also a “coil on coil” mattress that includes a layer of gel memory foam and uses an offset innerspring for support. The Design Sleep New Paris is also a “coil on coil” mattress that also includes a layer of latex and uses a pocket coil for support as well.

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

You can see some comments about Saatva (and some of the other "simplified choice online mattresses) in post #2 here and as you can see I would be somewhat cautious here about the quality and durability of the materials that they use. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and feedback about them as well.

There are no lower quality materials or weak links in the Alder and a forum search on Parklane Alder will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well. A forum search on Parklane will also bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well. Parklane is also a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

There are also no lower quality materials or weak links in the Charles P Rogers Power Estate 7000. A forum search on Estate 7000 will bring up more comments about this mattress and a forum search on Charles P Rogers will also bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well.

Finally there are also no lower quality materials or weak links in the Design Sleep New Paris mattress (which are made by Berkeley Ergonomics) either. While there isn’t any forum feedback on this particular mattress that I’m aware of … you can see some of my thoughts about Design Sleep in general here and here. A forum search on designsleep or an exact term site search on design sleep will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Some of the options you are considering probably aren’t local to you and while your own careful testing or personal experience is the only reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability (would include 3 of the 4 mattresses you are considering) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional “value” extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Phoenix