Sanity Check for Latex Hybrid Mattress in Fraser Valley

Hello,

My wife and I are currently shopping for a new mattress and have been looking for something with a latex comfort layer. We visited several stores trying different categories of latex mattresses: all latex, latex over spring coils, and latex/foam hybrids. After spending some time with each type, we decided we liked all foam mattresses best. We couldn’t discern a significant difference in feel/support between all latex and the latex/foam hybrids so we’ve narrowed our selection down to options within the foam/latex hybrid category to keep within our budget of $1500-$1800 incl tax.

The mattress that has filtered to the top in terms of value/performance (at least on paper), is the majestic sit and sleep Restore 10 Hybrid, but this model is apparently not available in their showroom, so we can’t try it out. When trying out other similar mattresses, we gravitated toward firmer mattresses, so I think we’d go with the firm or firm plus category, which has the following layers (for firm):

Majestic Sit and Sleep Restore Hybrid 10

• 2" soft (20 ILD) dunlop latex
    [li]2" (30 ILD) dunlop latex[/li
  • 3" (31 ILD) 2lb HD foam
  • 2" (40 ILD) 2lb HD foam

Of the mattresses that we were able to try out, the two mattresses that we liked best in terms of feel were:

NovoPure Victoria Falls 10"

• 6" “firm” core (no ILD listed)
  • 4" “medium firm” comfort layer (no ILD listed)
  • Was in the range for us in terms of Posture and pressure relief, but a little on the firmer side in terms of personal preference

Nature’s Rest Sky 9"

• 7" “firm” 2.1lb soy foam core. When I asked, they said the core was 65 ILD, which is higher than I’ve ever seen before, so it seems a little suspect.
  • 2" “medium” talaylay comfort layer. When asked, stated ILD was 45. Again most other places would call 45 ILD firm, not medium, so this is suspect
  • The salesperson referred to the mattress as a 7.5/10, which also doesn’t seem to mesh with the abnormally high ILDs.
  • Again, in the range for both of us in terms of posture and pressure relief. Subjectively, preferred the feel of this one a bit more.

I think I’m going to go ahead and order the Restore 10 Hybrid, but I just wanted to do a sanity check here first, confirming the following assumptions:

• Ignoring firmness, the Restore 10 is going to have similar characteristics to the Nature’s Rest Sky since they have similar latex over foam construction
  • We don’t need to worry as much about the specific firmness of the Restore 10, since the layers can be exchanged with the manufacturer to fine tune the feel

Thanks!!

HI ltilley,

Talalay will feel softer than Dunlop due to its method of fabrication and lower density

That’s a good option, can you exchange one of the dunlop layer for a Talalay in case you don’t like the feel of pure rubber?

From what you shared, the specs of the mattress look like they are all quality materials and meet TMU guidelines.

Could you please share your experience with us after you’ve slept on it for a month.

All the best

Thanks for your feedback. I think the factory (seems to be the same address as Natures Embrace and MFC) only carries dunlop latex, so to only way we could go with talalay would be to source our own from a different manufacturer.

However, the NovoPure mattress we tried was all dunlop latex and we didn’t find that the difference in feel was so big as to be unenjoyable to lay on.

I’ll be sure to check back once we’ve slept on it for a while.

Ok, so we bought the Restore Hybrid 10 and here is our experience so far:

• We live in the Fraser Valley and the factory is in Delta so the delivery was quick and easy. They were even able to take away our old mattress, which was incredibly convenient.

• We came from a very soft mattress before and it was giving my wife (5"6", 140lbs side sleeper) back issues, so we initially ordered the firm mattress.

• The firm ended up being a bit of an overcompensation and was still causing back issues for my wife. Part of the reason we bought this particular mattress (especially compared to the other options listed) is that the layers of the majestic mattress are separate and can be exchanged individually.

• The exchange process was quick and painless. I just contacted the manufacturer and let them know that I wanted to exchange a medium for a soft layer (making the mattress a medium-firm instead of firm) and set up a day and time to do the exchange. Note, this process was easy because I’m local to the manufacturer, so I was able to just drive to them and do the exchange myself. I don’t know what the process would be like if you had to ship a layer back to the factory.

• Since there was already a soft (20 ILD layer) in the mattress, it was interesting to compare the new soft layer with the original one. The new one had many more holes in it and was noticeably softer than the original layer (though both were marked as 20 ILD on the side of the latex). I don’t know if the variation in softness is because dunlop latex is less consistent, or if the manufacturing process was different.

• In the end, the variation in softness was a benefit as changing which “soft” layer was on top allowed us to further dial in the firmness of the mattress to our taste.

We’ve slept on the mattress for a couple months now and are very happy with the mattress. Overall dealing with majestic was a great experience and we’d happily purchase from them again

Hi ltilley,

I’m happy you went with Majestic as they are a subdivision of Nature’s Embrace which also makes our mattresses.

Customizable Mattresses are great and here are some more advantages of owning one:
Makes mattress shopping a breeze! With multiple comfort options, in one mattress. (from soft to extra firm)
Handy tailored top-zip cover, allows easy access to the loose foam layers inside your mattress, and holds them firmly in place.
Simply rearrange the foam layers inside your mattress to personalize your comfort and support needs.
If your comfort or support needs change in the future (due to illness, accident, or personal reasons), you can simply rearrange the foam layers in your mattress, or we can provide you with cost-effective layers to make the mattress feel, just the way you like!
Should a layer prematurely wear out, or be ruined by a mishap, it can simply be replaced avoiding the hassle and cost of replacing the entire mattress. Resulting in less waste for our environment and more money in your pocket!
Optimal mattress maintenance: By flipping the inner support layers annually, you renew and revitalize the entire mattress, whereas rotating a traditional mattress only helps maintain the top layers.
No more time wasted trying and exchanging mattresses.
Perfect for all sleepers; side, back and stomach.

Here’s how we and Nature’s Embrace operate for the layer exchange program:
1- The 120 Day Comfort Guarantee applies only to our Presto Customizable Organic Dunlop Latex Mattress You may exchange a maximum of 2 layers in total within the 120-day period.

The 120-day period starts 14 days after the date of purchase on the original invoice.
The layers don’t have to be exchanged at the same time
The total combined thickness of the layers must remain the same as the original mattress
Shipping and handling is the responsibility of the purchaser
Layers must be in original condition and free of smells, tears or stains.
Not applicable on custom sized, as is, or clearance mattresses

Loyalty Program

The Organic Dunlop Presto Layer Exchange program also includes a lifetime 25% discount on a limited number of layers should your needs change.

Lifetime is defined by the total term of the Mattress Warranty
Discount only valid after the initial 120-day period expires
The discount is based off the current regular retail price.
Cannot be combined with any other sale or offer.
A maximum of 2 additional layers per year, up to a total of 5 over the lifetime of the mattress, is permitted.
The maximum thickness per layer is 3"
The layers must be the same size as the mattress you purchased
Freight is the responsibility of the purchaser
Non-transferable

When examining the density of organic latex, you must take into account the natural variations found within the liquid field latex itself. Since no two natural materials are alike, each piece of organic latex foam will contain slight density variations. These variations happen from top to bottom within a slab and from batch to batch. Although there are ways this can minimized, it’s simply impossible to produce organic latex foam with absolute constancy.

That leads us to the most important aspect of density to consider when discussing organic latex. Unlike synthetic foams, the density of the organic latex is directly related to the firmness of the foam. The higher the density, the firmer the latex. The lower the density, the softer the latex.

I’m happy to hear that! As part of the Nature’s Embrace / Majestic team we aim to please and find comfort solutions for customers near the Fraser Valley and across Canada.

Thank you for sharing your experience

All the best!