Scoliosis and a stomach sleeper, need help....

I have scoliosis and am a stomach sleeper who doesn’t use a pillow but sleeps on my arms, and it gets worse, I’m overweight. I’m about 5’4" and weigh at this time 220 but I am working on losing between 25-50lbs. I sleep with both my arms at head level with one of them propping up my head and toss and turn all night from one arm to the other. My husband is 5’10" and about 185-190lbs and is a back/side sleeper. We both sleep very hot, we only need a light blanket during the winter and in the summer usually only use a top sheet. We can not use a comforter, ever.

Our current mattress is a eastern king Sterns and Fosters pillow top that we’ve had for almost 10 years and is showing signs of sagging in the middle. I’ve put a board under my side in the middle area and it has help some, but I think it’s time for a new mattress. We also have a foam and a down topper that we use because without it my arms go numb. I realize that we are looking at needing to purchase a split king to serve both our needs and are find with that. I don’t even know where to begin so if anyone has had the issues I have it would be helpful to hear what worked for them.

We did recently spend 4 nights at a certain hotel in LV that offers their mattresses that are custom made for them to be purchased on line. We both thought it was comfortable but can’t find anyone that has bought one. It was a Sealy made with 12 layers…

Anyways, any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated at this point. Thank you in advance, BobbieB

Hi bobbiebt5,

The first place I would start is post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

With medical or weight issues (or for that matter anything that makes each person unique in their needs and preferences) … it would become more important to connect with more knowledgeable retailers or manufacturers that can give you some good guidance and feedback and to make sure you do some careful and more objective testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) on mattresses because you may be outside the “averages” of what may be suitable for others that may otherwise seem similar to you.

Phoenix