Sealy mattress sale or find a local manufacturer? What's the best value?

Officially living on my own post-college and ordering my first mattress (all others I’ve used have been hand me downs). Every bed I’ve slept on has been comfortable enough for me to fall asleep so I’m struggling to figure out what’s best for me to buy now. I mostly sleep on my back and stomach. Much less often I’ll rollover in my sleep to my side.

I’m in the Chicago area and have been trying out mattresses at local chains. I found many beds that seemed “fine” and others that my hips were sinking too much. But I found one bed in particular that I really liked - a Sealy Etherial Gold Plush. Plus this store has a nice sale going on with the mattress and a matching adjustable base ($500 off). The base is the Rize Clarity II with fancy extras like massage, USB, Zero Gravity, Under Bed lights.

All in total I’d pay around $1500 for the mattress and base which is a price I’m satisfied with. I liked how the bed felt like I was sleeping on a cloud, but still supported me enough that my spine was aligned.

But then I started doing more research and came across this site. I found that Sealy’s aren’t a good quality brand so now I’m back to square one. I saw on this site that Quality Sleep Shop near me is a great local manufacturer so was planning on checking them out. But it looks like I’d have to buy a base separately and there aren’t any sales going on so I’d be paying over $2200 for the mattress and base. Not necessarily a dealbreaker but I’m having trouble justifying as the Sealy mattress was the only one I laid on which felt super comfortable, but all other mattresses felt good enough (as in I felt I could fall asleep on them without pain).

So I have a few questions:

1. What type of mattress should I look for that would be similar to that Sealy?
  2. Should I just go to Quality Sleep Shop and ask them or should I checkout some of the other online beds on this site? I see GhostBed has a 50% off sale with a mattress/base bundle so would it be better to just buy one of those without trying it?
  3. Is there another way to get the price down closer to the Sealy/adjustable base combo sale of $1500? I’m getting overwhelmed by the number of adjustable bases available.

Appreciate your help!

Hi mattress-boi and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Congrats on your post college move and getting your first ‘new’ mattress! As someone who had a similar string of ‘hand me down’ mattresses during & post college, I can definitely relate!

It’s good that you found a Sealy you are comfortable on; although like many of the ‘big brands’ their lack of details on their components and layers can make it difficult to assess hire supportive and durable they may be. for such an important purchase, you don’t want to end up with a mattress that wears out prematurely, as this can leave ‘ridges’ and ‘valleys ‘ that can cause muscle pains and even alignment issues. In person testing, in your situation, is the best way to see how different mattress types feel.

The Sealy Etherial Gold Plush mattress has a soft knit fabric cover, ‘SealyComfort’ extra soft foam quilting later with SealyComfort extra soft foam comfort layers, a ‘CoreSupport’ center and Sealy ‘StablePlus’ pocketed coil innerspring. As all of these components are proprietary, it’s impossible to judge anything about the foams (thickness or density or composition) or innersprings (coil gauge, coil count) which means the mattress may be fine, and may last you some time, but it’s just impossible to assess.

Any mattress you decide on will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You might want to take a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to see how to find a great mattress outlet, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how certain materials will last over time.

As to your questions…

What type of mattress should I look for that would be similar to that Sealy?

No one can tell you what type of mattress will be most comfortable for you, other than you. The Sealy is a memory foam hybrid; if that’s the type of bed you want, there should certainly be better options available to you within your budget.

Should I just go to Quality Sleep Shop and ask them or should I checkout some of the other online beds on this site? I see GhostBed has a 50% off sale with a mattress/base bundle so would it be better to just buy one of those without trying it?

Those are 2 great ideas! Quality Sleep Shop has been providing excellent sleep solutions for over 50 years, and as they manufacture their beds on site, they are able to offer them at affordable prices. GhostBed is another Trusted Member of the site, and they offer a variety of foam hybrid and latex hybrid mattresses; I believe that the MattressFirm and American Mattress locations in & around Chicago carry some if not all, the current GhostBed line, so you can try those out as well. The GhostBed Flex is similar to the Sealy and might be of interest. Also My Green Mattress is in La Grange, and Carrie’s a variety of organic and natural sleep solutions. Any of these Trusted Members will be able to assist you in finding a great new bed.

Is there another way to get the price down closer to the Sealy/adjustable base combo sale of $1500? I’m getting overwhelmed by the number of adjustable bases available.

Not sure if the GhostBed sale would bring it down to that area; and also the Sealy may be cheaper, but if the mattress doesn’t hold up, it might not be such a great ‘value’.

Adjustable bases are becoming more and more popular, and you’re right - there’s a lot to choose from! If you want Bluetooth enabled, app controlled, massage capable, usb ports, and all the other bells and whistles, they are out there. Of you could go for the basic that simply raises and lowers your head, trunk, and legs, for much less. It’s really your preference as far as what ‘extras’ you want of need, and your budget.

I would also caution on too much reliance on sales…the 2 most important criteria for mattresses are durability and suitability; while sales can bring the price more in line with budget, we advise against using that as your main criteria.

If you have any specific mattresses you are interested in, and give us your Stats, we can
comment on their support and durability for your sleep profile, and let us know how the search goes!

~ Basilio

Thanks for the response! I ended up visiting Quality Sleep Shop and ordering this one: Kiwi Hybrid Mattress

I’m a 5’4" male with a BMI of 24 (decently athletic frame too so pretty evenly weighted body). My sleep position changed a lot but I’d say it’s mostly back and stomach. I don’t like “sinking” feelings with beds and prefer to feel like I’m floating on a cloud. So a slight sink but mostly on top of the bed. I think the pillow top was my favorite part of the Sealy.

Compared to the Kiwi, the Sealy had a slightly better initial comfort (like floating on a cloud) but the Kiwi was still very comfortable and had better support. Worst case I can also find a pillow top to add if I want more of a cloud feeling but I’m happy with the comfort! And Tim the owner was great and really helped answer my questions. Plus they had a nice sale and he was nice enough to stack the Mattress Underground discount too. Add in the fact I found a great value adjustable base from Sam’s Club and I only paid a little more than the Sealy combo!

If I do decide to add a separate pillow top cover, do you have recommendations? Otherwise, do you think I made a good mattress choice given my stats and preferences?

Hi mattress-boi,

Congrats on the new Kiwi mattress from @Quality_Sleep_Shop ! Glad you had a pleasant smooth experience shopping with them, and it’s great that with the sale & TMU discount, you got the mattress and base while keeping close to your budget - Well done!

For the Stats you’ve provided, the Kiwi sounds like a great sleep solution. As far as toppers…it really depends on your preferences. A ‘slight sink but mostly on top’ is a totally objective ‘data point’ that you alone will be able to judge your preferred comfort level. I would say to give the Kiwi a few weeks to ‘break in’, as well as your body adapting to it, before deciding on a topper; after you’re used to it you can better judge if you need to ‘tweak’ the feel a bit. You now have a good, durable mattress that should last you for many years!

~ Basilio

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m also in the Chicago area and I’m driving myself crazy trying to decide on a mattress to buy. I’ve been looking at all the big name brands, but I finally found this website today and am thinking to check out Quality Sleep Shop myself.

What was the sale they were having if you don’t mind me asking? Online currently shows Memorial Day sale $50 off a mattress, free delivery, and free mattress protector.

Yeah definitely recommend them! I’m sure they’ll have something that meets your needs (they have several options).

So the mattress I got was from their sister store (My Green Mattress) that makes organic mattresses. It’s in the same building so you can see them all. They were running a 15% sale on those but I think you might’ve just missed it :frowning: maybe you can ask them when their next sale will be.

Hi mattress-boi,

Congratulations on your new mattress from @My_Green_Mattress! Glad you found a great new mattress at a price within your budget…please let us know your experience once you’ve spent some time with it!

~ Basilio