Sealy Posturpedic Hybrid Cooper

Hi folks,
Over the last few years I’ve had some bad mattress experiences. First, I purchased a fairly firm Tempurpedic that I ended up returning because it was too harsh to sleep on my side with (I’m a side AND back sleeper). Then, I purchased a Eurotop Miralux matterss which didn’t work for me either. The rivets in the pillow top sim;ply didn’t work for me. Then, I bought a Utlimate Dreams latex mattress. While it is very good quality, it never gave me the plush feel I was looking for and wasn’t ideal for a side sleeper. Cutting to the chase, I did some mattress shopping today and concluded that either the softest Tempurpedic available (which might actually be a bit too soft and a bit out of my price range) OR the Seal Posturepedic Hybrid Cooper Plush The Sealy hybrid seems to give good back support and good softness for my side. While it might not be 100% perfect for side sleeping, I don’t think anything will be perfect for someone that sleeps on both their back and sides, as I do. I am currently sleeping on two, 3 inch memory foam pads with 2 inches of latex underneath. I’ve been playing with those for a while but can’t come up with an ideal layering. Any persepective will be much appreciated. Does anyone have experience with the Sealy Hybrid? I heard it was the top reviewed mattress of 2015 by Consumer Reports.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Shop Sealy Mattresses | US-Mattress - Free Delivery – US Mattress

Hi Tyson,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them as well) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Unlike the other major brands … most (but not all) of the Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials but as you know they are in much higher (and mostly unjustifiable) budget ranges and for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to many other smaller manufacturers that use similar (or in some cases better) quality materials that are in much lower budget ranges. You can read more about Tempurpedic in general in posts #1 and #2 here.

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed response, Phoenix! My zipcode is 07450. Any recommendations on very good spring/memory foam hybrid mattresses will be much appreciated!

Hi Tyson,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Monroe Township/Newark, NJ. region (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #7 here. There is also a list for the NYC area (with a fair bit of overlap) in post #2 here.

Phoenix

My fiance and I are shopping for a king size mattress and settled on buying the Posturepedic Hybrid Copper from a department store. Before shelling out $2,000 for the mattress, I wanted to search the internet for a less expensive option, and that is how I found this site. After briefly reading the tutorial and a few forum posts, I am having second thoughts. We like the feel of the Posturepedic over about a dozen others we have tried, and although an alternative mattress will not have the exact feel, we would like to emulate the Posturepedic as much as possible. Specifically, we would like a medium to firm hybrid mattress, with memory foam or latex over coil and added support in the middle third.

Any suggestions on where to look in or around the 49201 or 48375 zip codes? I am notorious for overanalyzing things and would like to narrow down my choices to 2-3 candidates before proceeding further. We would prefer brick and mortar to online, so we can test any candidates before we buy, instead of buying blind and returning a mattress we don’t like. Thanks!

Hi Dave75,

I’m glad you found us before you made your purchase and as you probably know from reading the earlier posts in this topic I would avoid buying a major brand mattress or any mattress that uses lower quality and less durable or “unknown” quality materials.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

This doesn’t mean that other hybrid mattresses that have a different design wouldn’t also be a good “match” for you because each mattress category will generally have many mattresses that would make a suitable choice … only that they wouldn’t be the same as the Cooper and that the only way to know for certain whether they were better, worse, or similar in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP would be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Novi, MI area are listed in the Ann Arbor/Detroit list post #2 here.

There are also lists for the Lansing, MI area in post #2 here and for the Portage/Kalamazoo area in post #2 here that would be closer to Jackson, MI.

Phoenix

Following up on my initial post…

I am still shopping for a mattress. I visited Mattress Source, Denver Mattress, and Sleep Doctor, and have contacted Michigan Discount Mattress. I wasn’t thrilled with Denver Mattress, though I did buy a bed frame from Furniture Row :wink: . I liked the Capitol Bedding mattresses at Mattress Source, but I am a little concerned about durability because we are larger than average, and the foam densities on the mattresses I looked at are on the low end of the recommended range. I really liked the Bespoke and Bloomfield mattresses, but they were a bit out of our price range.

Sleep Doctor had a local store, so I checked them out. I liked the TheraSleep mattress, but I wasn’t able to find any more information about them, so I am not considering them at this point. The salesman said it is a latex/foam hybrid with a 2.5 lb polyfoam base, and that the mattress is made in Grand Rapids. I don’t remember the depths, so there may be some other materials in there, but otherwise the materials seemed good, if the salesman was telling the truth. The only manufacturer I found in Grand Rapids is a Spring Air licensee. Does anyone know anything else about these mattresses?

At this point I am most strongly considering a couple of two-sided beds and the Bed Boss Hybrid from MIchigan Discount Mattress. The two-sided mattresses are the Symbol Stafford Firm Gel-Infused and the Restonic Comfort Care Westfield Plush. Pending testing results, the Restonic is probably highest on the list because of the extra support in the middle and the overall opinion of the brand. I didn’t get specifics on foam density when I called, but the man did say the mattress was made in Escanaba (Clare Bedding, I gather?).

Specs for the 3 mattresses, that I have:

Restonic:
2" Deep Tack & Jump Quilted Cover with Marvelous Middle Construction
1" Gel-Infused TempaFoam in Quilt
1" Comfort Soft Foam in Quilt
1" Exclusive Tri-Zone, Comfort Soft Posture Foam
Heavy Duty Insulator Pad
420 Coil (Queen), Foam Encased Tempered, Lower Gauge Bonnell Innerspring
(upper layers reversed on second side)

Are the foam layers in the quilt in addition to the 2" cover, or is 2" the total depth?

Symbol Stafford
Tac & Jump Quilting
High Loft FR Fiber
1 1/2" Quilt Foam
1/2" High Density GEL Foam Center 1/3 Lumbar Pad
2" Extra Firm Convoluted Foam
Insulator Pad
1" Support Foam
Insulator Pad
Foam Encased 630XT Superlastic Continuous Coils
(upper levels reversed on side 2)

Bed Boss Hybrid:
Silk-Blended Fabric Cover with Poly-Satin Trim
1" Heat-Dissipating, Bamboo-Infused Higher-Density Foam in Cover
2" Traditional Memory Foam
2" UltraCore HD Memory Foam
6.5" Individually-Wrapped Pocket Coil Inner Spring Unit
2" Higher-Resliency Base Foam

I didn’t get specific densities for the foams, but Bed Boss did give me a range of 2.8-4.7 for the foams they use in all of their models. Is it reasonable to use the lower end of the range for polyfoam and the upper end for memory foam? If so,the downside of this mattress is the lack of added support in the middle.

Hi Dave75,

[quote]Specs for the 3 mattresses, that I have:

Restonic:
2" Deep Tack & Jump Quilted Cover with Marvelous Middle Construction
1" Gel-Infused TempaFoam in Quilt
1" Comfort Soft Foam in Quilt
1" Exclusive Tri-Zone, Comfort Soft Posture Foam
Heavy Duty Insulator Pad
420 Coil (Queen), Foam Encased Tempered, Lower Gauge Bonnell Innerspring
(upper layers reversed on second side)

Are the foam layers in the quilt in addition to the 2" cover, or is 2" the total depth?

Symbol Stafford
Tac & Jump Quilting
High Loft FR Fiber
1 1/2" Quilt Foam
1/2" High Density GEL Foam Center 1/3 Lumbar Pad
2" Extra Firm Convoluted Foam
Insulator Pad
1" Support Foam
Insulator Pad
Foam Encased 630XT Superlastic Continuous Coils
(upper levels reversed on side 2)

Bed Boss Hybrid:
Silk-Blended Fabric Cover with Poly-Satin Trim
1" Heat-Dissipating, Bamboo-Infused Higher-Density Foam in Cover
2" Traditional Memory Foam
2" UltraCore HD Memory Foam
6.5" Individually-Wrapped Pocket Coil Inner Spring Unit
2" Higher-Resliency Base Foam

I didn’t get specific densities for the foams, but Bed Boss did give me a range of 2.8-4.7 for the foams they use in all of their models. Is it reasonable to use the lower end of the range for polyfoam and the upper end for memory foam? If so,the downside of this mattress is the lack of added support in the middle. [/quote]

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about any of the mattresses you are considering without knowing the type and density of all the foam layers in each mattress. A range of 2.8 - 4.7 isn’t specific enough because 2.7 lb memory foam would be a low quality and less durable material which would certainly be a reason for concern if it is more than about an inch or so while 4.7 lb density memory foam would be a much more durable material. The suitable density range for polyfoam and memory foam are also very different. For example a 2.7 lb layer would be a high quality and durable material if it was polyfoam and would be a low quality and much less durable material if it was memory foam. If you can find out the density of all the foam layers in each mattress then I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of each mattress.

Based on your description it sounds like the two layers that are described as being in the Restonic quilt are the individual components of the 2" total for the quilting layers. You can always confirm this by adding up the thickness of all the layers and components in the mattress and confirming that they add up to the total thickness of the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. Have been resarching for maybe 100 hours… And now sooo confused… Your website is very helpful-wish I had found you before many hours with the online affiliated reviewers. I have 3 questions to start. You said that people with bmi over 30 should go for heavier and denser foams. 2.0 poly foams and 5 lb memory foams. But on the individual bed in a box type mattress reviews you caution people over 200 lbs. when the specs are below these numbers but you never say anything about the bmi. I weigh 170 lbs and have bmi around 33. Have been looking at a lot of beds that have 1.8 poly foam (Helix) or 3.5-4.memory foam (e.g. 4sleep). So don’t know if I should steer clear or not?
Question 2; why do many of these mattresses have 2 layers of the exact same foam? For example, 4sleep has in the comfort layer 1" of 3 lb. Hi perf poly foam and then 1.5" of 3 lb. Polyfoam. Why is that?
Question 3: I’m going to be putting new queen mattress on a Privea adjustable frame. Do you recommend against any particular kinds of mattresses for adjustable frames?
Thanks for your help!

Hi wendyfort,

I recently switched to using BMI rather than weight in the durability guidelines because it’s a more accurate reflection of weight concentration which will affect the durability and useful life of a mattress more than just total weight but all the previous forum posts haven’t been updated so where you see “higher weight ranges” I would use a BMI of 30 or more rather than weight.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I’ve added the following note to the durability guidelines …

In most cases they would have different firmness levels which would result in a different feel and firmness level than using a single layer of the same firmness.

In general terms most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex foam, polyfoam) that aren’t more than about 12" thick and most pocket coil mattresses will be flexible enough to work well on an adjustable bed. Foam mattresses that are over about 12" thick may not contour to the adjustable bed as effectively. While in general terms thinner mattresses will tend to be more flexible than thicker mattresses and will contour to an adjustable bed more effectively … this can also depend on the specifics of the mattress layers and components so 12" thickness is only a general guideline because some mattresses that are a little thicker than that which use more flexible materials may still be fine and some mattresses that are less than that may be less flexible and not work as well. The most reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed will be a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or the manufacturer that makes the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks, very helpful!