Searching for king size and just discovered latex

So my boyfriend and I are both stomach sleepers and we were at mattress mattress tonight looking and we both liked the kingsdown oxygen fire. It is a latex mattress with a 2" gel topper. It was very comfortable but we are concerned about how long it will last. The price on the mattress was 2700. It is our first time buying our own mattresses and we aren’t sure about pricing and durability. Any advice on brands/types of mattress (latex vs coil vs sleep number). Thanks

Hi Kaelajane,

The first thing I would suggest is to read post #1 here which is a set of steps which along with the information it links to can greatly improve your odds of finding the best possible quality and value mattress available in your budget or in your area.

As you will see … besides some initial research into the different types of mattresses and materials … one of the most important parts is knowing what to avoid and this would include the major brands who don’t disclose the materials they use in their mattress (which includes Kingsdown). A mattress is only as good as the materials that are in it and the manufacturers who don’t disclose the quality of the materials they use tend to be significantly overpriced and less durable choices.

I would also avoid airbeds and you can see the reasons why in this article.

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better manufacturers or retailers in your area that I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Thanks. We live in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

Hi Kaelajane,

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Edmonton area are in post #136 here.

Keep in mind too that it’s never a good idea no matter where you are looking to consider a mattress where there are “unknown” layers in the mattress or the retailer can’t provide you with all the details of all the layers in the mattress that you need to make a good decision. In some places a retailer will provide this for some mattresses but not others in which case it’s wise to avoid the ones where the information is not available.

Phoenix