Seek Firm Latex Cushions for Trifold Mattress

I seek to obtain three firm hypoallergenic cushions to include in a portable (i.e. suitable-for-air-travel) trifold mattress. Dimensions of each cushion: about 25 X 25 X 3 inches (could be 4 inches if there’s a good reason additional thickness). I would expect to purchase an existing commercially available trifold mattress and to later substitute firm latex cushions for the (usually polyurethane) cushions that come with trifold mat.

I’ve had allergic reactions to polyurethane foam and have been told that latex is a better choice for avoiding allergic reactions. I also need a high level of firmness, i.e. with an ILD in the 40-50 range. (I have a Plank mattress at home, and ideally would like to duplicate that firmness level, if possible). My plank mattress has a 50 ILD polyfoam core with a 1.5 inch thick layer of 36 ILD foam above the core.

Thanks to the board if anyone can identify the best material for achieving the above goals.

Hi Voyager39 and thanks for the inquiry! When people have latex allergies, they react to the proteins in latex. When latex is turned into a foam all the proteins are stripped out completely. As such, we ship mattresses to many people with latex allergies and we get zero complaints about someone having an allergic reaction. As such, you could certainly order extra firm (44 ILD) latex and shouldn’t expect to have any problems. If you’d like, you can email us at [email protected] with your name and shipping address and we’ll send latex samples at no cost to you.

If you decide to order from us, you can just order a full size extra firm Dunlop topper but mention in the comments section at checkout that you want us to cut it into four 25" x 25" pieces. Please note, though, that custom items aren’t returnable or exchangeable.

I’ve had an X-firm Dunlop sample in my room for about 12 hours, and so far so good - no allergic reactions. I’m stunned. This is the first sample that I have not been allergic to.

Your post mentions purchasing a Full size topper. However, at first glance, it seems to me that a twin would work.

I’d need to reduce the length dimension of the three cushions by about 1/3 inch each. Cutting along the width dimension would yield three pieces measuring 24 2/3" X 38" each. The pieces could then be cut to narrow them from 38 inches to 25 inches.

Does the above make sense?

Yes you’re right, and I’m so sorry for the error on my end! Just order the twin and mention that you want it cut to three 25x25 pieces and we’ll do our best to get it as close as possible.

Yes you’re right, and I’m so sorry for the error on my end! Just order the twin and mention that you want it cut to three 25x25 pieces and we’ll do our best to get it as close as possible.