Seeking Firm Mattress Recommendations

Seeking Firm Mattress Recommendations

Context:
I’m 6’1’‘, 180lb with significant lower back pain, primarily a back sleeper with occasional side sleeping (<20%). My partner, at 5’6’’ and 130lb, has a similar profile. We both prefer very firm mattresses, similar to those in high-end East Asian hotels.

Past Experiences:

1. Beautyrest Silver Extra Firm - Contrary to its name, it didn’t offer the firmness I was seeking.
  2. Beautyrest Hybrid Level 2 BRX3000-IM Medium Mattress - Initially, it felt better than the first but began to lose its firmness after just a year.
  3. Leesa Original - Its plush nature was far too soft for our liking.
  4. Ikea MEISTERVIK - make my back feel better but not very comfortable.

Recent Research:
Following my doctor’s advice to sleep on the firmest mattress possible (or even a wooden platform with a soft topping if no suitable mattress can be found), I’ve been on a serious quest for a bed that’s both firm and comfortable. In this process, I’ve recently come across the PLANK FIRM LUXE, which piqued my interest, though I haven’t tried it yet. Additionally, the TEMPUR-Adapt Advanced Pressure Relief (ProAdapt) Firm caught my eye, but I’m contemplating if the $4,000 price tag is justified.

Budget:
Looking for a King-size mattress, ideally under $3,000. However, if there’s a standout option, willing to consider up to $5,000.

Would greatly appreciate recommendations that cater to our firmness preference!

If you’re close to NJ, Shovlin Mattress Factory does firm, sturdy mattresses. They have firm innerspring and also full latex, latex hybrid, and even horse hair mattresses. I’m really happy with my Shovlin Classic Tri Zone. If you’re not close, there are so many good mattress companies on the main page, but please try to stay away from mainstream stores that sell major brands, and a lot of online offerings, unless you’re ok with sagging and body impressions. The best place to start is the mattress tutorials on the main page.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am located in Fremont, CA. Do you know any good mattress place I should checkout this weekend?

If you type California in the search box, you can find places to try. Billyidol has a post that comes up second or third with stores in southern CA. I’m sure there’s more. It’s best to try mattresses in person if possible.

Hi kklt,
Welcome to TMU,
I have the plank luxe. Yes it is firm and quite frankly one of the best mattresses I have slept on.Private manufacturers aside. This is probably the best firm online mattress you will find. The big fig is a firm one as well, but many have said it is rough on side sleepers. I am 6’ 217 (used to be 245/50ish), my wife is 5’4 130-5. We were coming off an 11 year old sealy posturepedic ultra firm pillowtop. It did not compare to the plank luxe. We just love this mattress. It has been about a year now. I am quite certain any of our trusted manufactures (Manufacturer-Retail Stores :: The Mattress Underground) here at TMU could duplicate the plank luxe or something even firmer, with even higher quality foams. I bought mine from an authorized dealer in san diego, and I am on the east coast, if interested I can forward the information. If you like a firm comfortable mattress this is a winner in my book. Very simple two sided design. 13.5 gauge pocketed coils with 1.8lb HD foam, .75" quilted cover, some glaciotex cooling cover sewn into the cover/panel and done. Works like a charm. Nothing that any of the manufacturers here couldn’t do, but BB does it well. Probably their best mattress. I tried a variety of the main players, BR, S&F, Aireloom, Shifman, TP, and a few more. This had the best cost to quality and performance of all of them. If you have any questions, happy to answer them. Good luck on your search! Oh, get ready to change your pillows. You sleep on the surface of the mattress, not sunken in, therefore you will need to have pillows that have enough loft for your occasional side sleeping. I have written about my pillow saga elsewhere on TMU Pillows. We can walk you through that if necessary too.

2 Likes

Airweave New Advanced……pricy, but worth it!

John

1 Like

Firstly, I want to express my deepest gratitude for your detailed response. It’s not every day that you come across such insightful and personal experiences shared so generously.

Your feedback on the Plank Luxe is particularly valuable. Given your and your wife’s profiles and your positive experience with the mattress, it sounds like it could be a perfect fit for us. I’m now more inclined than ever to give it a try!

The heads-up on the pillow adjustment is also much appreciated. I’ll certainly bear that in mind and might reach out for further advice on the pillow front once we’ve settled on the mattress.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and insights. It’s making my decision-making process so much easier, and I truly appreciate it.

1 Like

Really pricey. I will put it on my list.

1 Like

I am not so sold on the Airnet, Airweave, or Mongze type product. It is basically polyethylene which is plastic, and not the same plastic that most foams are made of. Sure it is very light and firm, but I am not so convinced it is a long term solution for a comfortable mattress. Now, I have not tried it, so I can not be very sure, but I simply can not get over the fact it is just plastic tubing. It is very cheap in actuality Airweave/Mongze/polyethylene. Perhaps it may be ok, but I am just not ready for this type of plastic. Some say it can make a sagging mattress firm again, but not sure how that feels to sleep on. I guess as real people purchase it and sleep on it, and do honest reviews, we will get a better idea of what it is all about. Perhaps in the end, it will be no different than polyfoam in another form, like synthetic latex, but it is a little creepy to me Airwear/Mongze/polyethylene. But one thing for sure, if your kid wets the bed or you spill grape juice on it, you can take it in the back yard and rinse it with the hose. Just dont leave it out in the sun, as it will become brittle and crack.

Trying the Airweave was an incredible experience. Wife didnt like it plus you could not use an adjustable base. If I was single, I would ne on an Airweave.

John

Airweave is great if you have lower back pain. Found out about Airweave from the posturre.com website.

John

I guess the only caveat is if you dont like the Airweave, they are banging you with a $200 return fee even within the trial period. Not that polyurethane foam doesnt look like “furniture packing foam” the airweave bricks look even more like packing foam. But as I always say the best mattress/material is the one that works and feels the most comfortable to you. So if it works, I guess it doesnt matter what it looks like. The product has been around for a while, a good 17 years or more.

Airweave has a showroom here in Los Angeles. I think there is a showroom in New York too.

John

Thank you Cheri. I really appreciate the kind words. We do ship all over the country, using a white glove service company.

kklt - if you need assistance in finding a mattress company in your area, feel free to reach out to me via email - [email protected]. Thank you Ron Shovlin

1 Like

Hi Cheri!

Caught your post as I was browsing this forum.

I am from NJ and presently looking for a quality mattress.

The Google reviews for Shovlin Mattress are extremely favorable across the board.

Is this absolutely the place I should be looking for a quality mattress at competitive prices? Do they tend to be more expensive, cheaper or on par with retail mattress stores?

Is this place really as spectacular as everyone is making it out to be?

Hi Wally. We had a Stearns & Foster for a year and a half that had 1.5" body impressions (sagging the first month), then had a Saatva for about two weeks (1" body impressions the second night). Both mattresses weren’t cheap. When I read about Shovlin and watched their videos on their website, I thought they looked good, plus they’re recommended here. I called and said I was interested in the innerspring mattresses and got prices over the phone. Their prices are definitely in line with big brand mattresses. After our past four mattress fiascos, it took some convincing for my husband to go since it was a hour and a half drive. When we got there we could see and feel the quality. We tried every type of mattress they make and every one of them would have worked. We wanted innerspring, so we got the Classic Tri Zone flippable, with pillow top on both sides. We have it two weeks and have been getting good sleep with no body impressions so far. You should definitely go try them. If you’ve been to big brand mattress stores, you’re going to notice the difference in quality and have a mattress that’s going to last.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank You.

They are less than an hour away. I was concerned that they might be overpriced but happy to hear they are in line with other mattresses.

I currently own a Saatva. Have probably had it for 10 years. It was an okay mattress. It has held up but I felt it became uncomfortable rather prematurely. For that reason, I would not go with another.

I read Shovlin delivers for free anywhere in NJ and even takes away your mattresses for a recycling fee of $15 each which is fair. That was another service I was looking for with my purchase.

I will definitely make a trip up there. Thank you for the recommendation.

2 Likes

Thanks Wally. When you’re there, try their horse hair mattress for Batmannorm. We tried it, and it was really comfortable. Let us know your opinion when you go.

1 Like

Wow. Never heard of THAT before. As long as it’s not outlandishly priced I will look at it.

Not looking to spend more than $2k for a full sized mattress, and even that price is kind of high.

Thank you so much again!

1 Like

You’re welcome! The horse hair price is less than other’s prices, and I would have considered it, if I hadn’t wasted money on the S&F. We tried it just so we would know what it was like. And you’ll get a discount for being a forum member.

1 Like