Seeking Good Value/Quality in Memphis

Hi All,

Just moved to Memphis yesterday & wondering whether anyone has advice on mattress stores in area.

I really like the Simmons Beautyrest Recharge, but am limited to around $500. I have a medical condition requiring memory foam & soft byt supportive side sleeping …

Any info on the variations between different stores, quality alternative options, &/or info on retailers in the area will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jan

Hi JanF.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your move to Memphis. I hope all goes well for you in the new location.

I have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members here of The Mattress Underground and are vetted member here of the site.

I am not very sure what you’ve read since landing on our site but alongside with the knowledge that you have a limited budget I would still make sure to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I am sorry to hear that you have a medical condition that may be a bit limiting in the choices you otherwise might have in finding a mattress.

I would be very cautious about store/brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer or store on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

Many major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here. along with post #3 here. and post #12 here. and post #404 here.).

In other words I would assess whether a specific mattress would make a suitable choice for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal Preferences) … that uses materials that are durable enough for your weight/BMI range … and that meets all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you on a “mattress by mattress” basis rather than on a “brand by brand” basis.

As you are considering a memory foam mattress then in most cases the most important factor in its durability will generally be the quality/density of the memory foam layers about the polyfoam base layer. I would keep in mind when shopping for a Memory Foam mattress that they can range from very low quality and “cheap” mattresses with very little durability to some very high quality mattresses as well and I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here.

For your restricted budget you may wish to look through the following options:

Sedona Sleep sells a polyfoam base mattress
www.addable.com/ sells a memory foam mattress.
[url=https://nestbedding.pxf.io/RD0N9]Nest Bedding
has their Love & Sleep Mattress .
Christeli has one memory foam option

Some of the new “simplified choice mattresses” that are also in relatively low budget ranges (from $600 to $1000 queen size) are also listed in post #2 of this topic and may also be worth considering as well although most of them are also more than your budget range.

post #4 here and the posts it links to which also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well.

Aside from that, whatever direction you chose to go with your purchase (local testing and purchase, local testing and online purchase, or talking with a knowledgeable and transparent online manufacturer/retailer and purchasing through them) if after visiting some local stores and/or finding a few online options that fit your needs and preferences you have any questions about specifications or certain products, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

Phoenix