Select Foam

Hi Bluebug

Just checking in, my mattress did arrive on 1/27 as scheduled once Select Foam finally got every thing in order. Hopefully you will not have as long of a delay as I did.

I ordered an Aurora on 1/15, the foundation arrived on 1/22 and the mattress is on a truck somewhere east of Salt Lake and should be here tomorrow, 1/30.

I have exchanged many email with Juan, who is currently in Vegas, and so far am pleased with the transaction.

There was a slight delay in manufacture as the cover for the Aurora was not in stock had to be ordered.

So, I’ll have to update everyone after I get it setup and tried out.

I did ask and got a response on what to do when I get my mattress. I’ll post here for posterity:

1. Bring mattress in from porch
  2. Take mattress out of box (leave in both plastic bags)
  3. Put mattress in bags on bed platform or in a warm room somewhere
  4. Let mattress sit in both bags for 24 hours to warm up
  5. Open bags after about 24 hours on the platform
  6. Let mattress open up on platform all day.
  7. Use that night if we want to

The Aurora comes in a box at about 130# and 22 by 24 by 55 inches.

Robert

Quick question to everyone in this thread re: selectfoam mattresses. Was there any instruction as to removing covers that come on the mattress to make mattress softer?

There seems to be some question as to removing outer zipper cover (maybe flame retardent layer??) vs leaving it on there.

Anyone know anything about this or better yet how does the mattress come shipped in terms of covers over the foam?

Wouldn’t this be a question better asked of selectfoam, for the mattress you bought or are thinking of buying?

Robert

Probably so, but if you read the countless threads on the various select foam mattresses on here, it seems like people are removing the covers at on their own and not neccesarily by instruction.

Since a lot of people in this thread have recently get the cirrus luxe, does anyone have any experience with the cover on this mattress and whether or not you removed it short term or long term.

So i believe the theory behind taking the cover off is due to the fact that it prevents heat from entering the memory foam. I took mine off after reading this guide to breaking in a mattress:
http://www.myarticle.com/Home-Improvement-/Accessories/easy-way-to-break-in-a-memory-foam-mattress.html

I can tell you there’s definitely a difference between having it on and off but I only plan on keeping it off as I break it in and then will put it back on.

Hi reckhart,

[quote]Probably so, but if you read the countless threads on the various select foam mattresses on here, it seems like people are removing the covers at on their own and not neccesarily by instruction.

Since a lot of people in this thread have recently get the cirrus luxe, does anyone have any experience with the cover on this mattress and whether or not you removed it short term or long term.[/quote]

The cover is a wool fire barrier that can be removed and for those who find that the mattress is too firm initially, then removing it can be one of the suggestions they often make to make to their customers to make the mattress softer initially. Since their suggestions have also been mentioned on the forum, there are also members who have removed it based on their reading here without being “instructed” to do so by Select Foam. It can be left off or added back in when the mattress goes through more of it’s initial break in period.

If your mattress is one of the ones that have the wool fire barrier (the Regalis doesn’t use it as far as I know) … I would decide on whether to keep or remove it (temporarily or otherwise) after you’ve slept on it and based on your personal experience on the mattress.

It’s an option that some people may choose to do and other may choose not to.

Phoenix

Phoenix, is the wool fire barrier you are talking about the cover you see pictured in photographs of the mattress or the thicker, white material that is underneath that? I’ve got both removed at the moment but do plan on putting the cover back. I may opt to just only replace the outer cover but I’m also thinking about simply putting a mattress protector that I put directly over the foam and leaving it as is. Any thoughts on this?

Hi Runnerb0y,

It’s the one under the cover.

A mattress protector and a mattress cover are really two entirely different things and they are each designed to perform different functions. A cover is generally a higher quality material that is specifically designed and chosen to help the mattress keep its shape and to add to the overall performance and “feel” of the mattress design. A protector on the other hand is designed only to protect the mattress (including the cover) from the body fluids, skin cells, and “accidents” that can affect or stain the cover or the materials inside it and help keep them in more hygienic condition.

I would personally use both for the functions they are designed for but like anything else if there is a compelling reason for someone to use one or the other rather than both and it clearly works better for you for some reason then personal experience and preferences always “trumps” theory IMO.

Phoenix

Select Foam says our mattress should be shipping early next week. I hope that ends up being correct, since we’re looking forward to trying out the new mattress.

One question for those of you who got Select Foam’s foundation with their mattress (CB911 and MrSanRamon). What is the foundation like? We’re going to be moving on from a softsided water bed, so we already have a piece of solid OSB on top of a drawered platform as a base that I am hoping to re-use with this mattress. Customer support at SF seemed to indicate this would be fine. However, I saw in the “foundations for foam beds” post that slatted platforms are more highly recommended for ventilation and to inhibit mold growth. Out of curiosity, I’m wondering if SF’s foundations consist of a solid or slatted/ventilated platform.

Hi bluebug,

They’re the slatted type (see post #222 here).

You can read more about a solid surface base vs slats in post #10 here but if you already have a suitable base with a solid surface and you wanted to provide some extra ventilation under the mattress then something like the bed rug here or one of the slat conversions here (which has no flex at all) or even one of the Ikea slatted bed bases here (which has some flex which may change how the mattress feels and performs) could work well to increase ventilation for those who have a solid surface under their mattress and are lower cost options that would also be worth considering.

Phoenix

The Aurora mattress from Selectfoam arrived yesterday and today I hauled it upstairs and set it up…all 125# of it.
Looking forward to sleeping on it tonight, as I have never slept on a memory foam mattress before.

It arrived sooner than they said it would, the foundation went together fine, and the mattress feels good to the hand.

Glad I got the Aurora, because if I don’t like the top comfort layer, it can be changed out, the comfort layer even can be different side to side. I thought that was a very good feature for a memory foam mattress.

I’ll write again when I’ve spent some time in it, but the main reason I went with Selectfoam, was that in the Cal King, I got a free foundation and shipping and saved over $3100 from buying a Tempur-Allura and their foundation.

Hope I sleep as well as my wallet feels.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

It’s good to see the mattresses are arriving and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve slept on the mattress for 2 nights now and find that my shoulder doesn’t hurt as much when I sleep on my side.

All in all it feels a lot like our old innerspring mattress, except cushier.

I do like that I don’t sink way in the mattress and form a deep depression, so it’d fall into it if I was to shift positions.

It’s an Ok mattress, well better than Ok. I sleep about the same as before.

Looking forward to putting a few weeks on it to see how I like it then.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thanks for sharing your initial feedback :).

As you know the mattress will break in over time and you will also go through an adjustment period over the first 30 - 90 days or so.

It’s somewhat unusual that someone would “feel” that any memory foam mattress feels the same as any innerspring mattress but of course each person’s perceptions are unique to them and can be very different from someone else or in some cases even the majority of people.

I’m looking forward to any ongoing feedback you have the chance to share as you spend more time sleeping on your mattress.

Phoenix

I’ve slept on the mattress for about a week now and I still find that my shoulder doesn’t hurt as much when I sleep on my side.

All in all it still feels a lot like our old innerspring mattress, except cushier.

It seems like it is getting a litter softer over time, but not enough so I form a deep hole I can’t get out of. I sleep through the night about the same as before.

Looking forward to putting additional time on it.

Robert

Hi MrSanRamon,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for the bed rug recommendation, I think we might get one to go with our foundation. But I might wait to order it until we’re fairly certain that a memory foam bed is for us, since it is kind of pricey. I’m not sure mold growth would occur if it sits directly on the platform for the short term, especially during our cold winter, and because SF seemed to indicate it was OK. I also ordered the Cozy Rest cotton mattress protector, since after thinking about it, I think it’s more important for us to have one that conforms closely to the bed than one that is waterproof.

Our Cirrus Luxe shipped today, two weeks and a day after placing the order. So not as long as those who ordered it at the end of the year, but still a longer wait than I hoped. I’m looking forward to receiving it next Tuesday so we can try it out.

Hi bluebug,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like their delivery times are getting better and they’re catching up but they’re not at their normal 5 - 10 business days to delivery yet.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: selectfoam.com/page-faq.htm

The good news is that it’s on the way and you will soon be at the best part which is actually sleeping on your mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Bluebug

The foundation from SF is slatted and takes under
10 minutes to put together. It also comes with a nice quality foundation cover.

I have been sleeping on my bed for about a week now. I do think I am going to remove
the wool cover and see if that speeds up the break in period.

So far I have no complaints and in its current state of not
being broken in yet I do not have any issues sleeping