Serta Icomfort vs Sealy Memoryworks

Hi thecallmebill,

I think the first suggestion I would make is to read post #1 here which is a step by step process that can greatly help improve the odds of finding the best quality/value mattress in your area that is the most suitable for your needs and preferences.

As you can see from the information that is linked in the post … I would personally avoid all of the brands you are mentioning.

I would also never shop by brand or brand recommendations (except for the major brands which I would exclude) but only by the combination of materials that are in a mattress and how well they meet your needs and preferences. These materials are available to any manufacturer and a mattress is only as good as the materials that are in it and how well they suit your body type, sleeping positions, and individual preferences regardless of the brand label on the mattress. No matter what materials you prefer … making sure they are the highest quality available in your budget is the key to quality, value and durability.

Because the quality of the materials that are in your mattress is the most important part of it’s long term performance … who you buy from can be even more important than what you buy.

Arming yourself with some basic information about the different materials and types of mattress and then working with either manufacturers or better sleep shops that offer good quality, value, and service and will fully disclose the details of every layer of the mattresses will lead to the best possible choices available … regardless of the brand.

Some of the better options or possibilities in the Philadelphia area are in post #4 here.

The list for the Northern Virginia and Washington, DC area is in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

What are your thoughts on this mattress. Keep in mind I am on a budget. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Density-Viscoelastic-Foam-20-Warranty/dp/B000RKVTYE/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1340870685&sr=1-2&keywords=dynasty+mattress+queen

Hi thatsdopefoo,

The first place I would start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices in any budget range … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

You can read a little more about SilverRest in post #4 here and a forum search on Silverrest (you can just click the link) will bring up more information about them as well.

I would be very cautious here because the specs they list on the Amazon site don’t match their shipping weight (similar to some of the other comments I linked) and it’s very likely that the quality of the memory foam is lower than what they are listing. In a queen size … if the top 3" of memory foam was really 5.3 lb density then the top layer alone would weigh about 44 lbs and since the mattress is listed as weighing 70 lbs that means the 7" support core would weight less than 25 lbs (after taking the cover into account) and this would mean that the density of the support core would only be 1.2 lbs. It’s much more likely that the memory foam is lower density than they are listing.

The tutorial post also includes several links to some of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and they include some much less risky and better quality value options that I would consider.

Post #4 here includes some of the better lower budget memory foam, polyfoam, and innerspring mattresses I’m aware of that would be well worth considering and posts #3 and #4 here also include some of the better quality and lower budget latex and latex hybrid options as well.

Phoenix

After reading and going through the posts you gave me I was interested in:

https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Mattress-Ultimate-Dreams-10-Inch/dp/B009SQK2CI

I forgot to mention I do sleep hot. So that is why I considered this mattress with gel memory foam.
The product does not list if the bed is firm or medium firm. Do you know what level this mattress is?
The product lists 3" of 4lb gel memory foam. Is 4 lb density good for someone looking for a firm to med firm mattress.
Should I get a mattress with a higher density? Do you recommend anything lower than 5 lb density?

Thanks.

Hi thatsdopefoo,

I have no personal experience with the mattress so I don’t know how firm it would feel for me and the perception of firmness and softness is also very relative to the person so it may feel firmer for some people than others depending on your body type, sleeping positions, and personal preferences and sensitivities. A conversation with the manufacturer will be a much better source of guidance about how the mattress may feel for you than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The density of memory foam is the biggest factor in its durability but different memory foams that have the same density can have a wide range of firmness levels (see post #9 here). Again it’s always best to talk about your firmness choices and how well a mattress may match your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who can talk you through your firmness choices and draw from the experiences and feedback of many of their customers that may be similar to you.

The guidelines I would suggest using are in post #4 here. 4 lb memory foam and 1.5 lb base foam would be inside the guidelines that would certainly be suitable for a lower budget mattress and for people that are in a more “average” weight range. As you probably know, I think very highly of Dreamfoam and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service so the mattress you are looking at would certainly be well worth considering if you are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are limited to memory foam mattresses in this budget range.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I decided to purchase the Dreamfoam mattress. Now I was wondering if you could provide me with some knowledge about foundations. I still need to purchase one and do not know where to start.

Thanks.

Hi thatsdopefoo,

Congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a good quality and value choice :slight_smile:

The simplest foundation options would be one of the choices that Dreamfoam offers which are the 14" Genius steel platform bedframe here (which is a combination bedframe and foundation) or their Simple Life foundation here along with a steel or wooden bedframe.

If you are also interested in looking at other alternatives then the foundation post here includes more information about foundations and bedframes and has many other options for foundations that would be also be suitable for your mattress.

Phoenix