Serta Icomfort vs Sealy Memoryworks

I’ve been poring over your site all weekend. There’s some very helpful info here–but after a while my head starts to spin. Who knew buying a mattress could be so overwhelming.

Some background. We currently have a Simmons Beautyrest Leydon Superpillowtop. Although this bed is a lot more comfortable than our previous Stearns and Foster rock hard mattress, I don’t sleep comfortably. You would think this bed is pretty “cushy” but I still find it quite firm. I’m 52 and I have had chronic low back pain for the past 5 years. I have a hard time finding a comfortable position and I wake up feeling sore from head to toe (rather neck to butt!) I can typically fall asleep best on my stomach, but I’m told that’s not good for my back. If I can manage to sleep on my back all night (usually with a little help from Ambien) I wake up with less pain. Side sleeping definitely causes hip and shoulder pain. I’ve been experimenting with different pillows, but that’s a whole different forum, I’m sure!

Several months ago while on vacation in Mexico I had the best sleep in years. I have no idea what the mattress brand was, but I remember a feeling of being cradled in the bed. Also, I have friends who rave about their Tempurpedic mattresses, but I’m not willing to shell out that kind of money. Besides, I have found two memory foam mattresses that feel as comfortable to me as the Tempurpedic model I liked, the Cloud Luxe, for much less money. One is the Serta IComfort Prodigy (I read your post about this one). The other is the Sealy Memoryworks Olivewood Ultra Plush Pillowtop made for Macy’s by Sealy.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=472254&CategoryID=25945#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D7

I like that these two brands claim to sleep cooler than the Tempurpedic mattresses.

I was able to find out that the Sealy Memoryworks has a 4.5 lb density, which I understand is okay–not great, but I can’t find any density info on the Sealy IComfort. If I had to choose right now, I’d pick the Sealy for overall comfort, but I’m a little worried that it has a pillowtop.

Can you shed any light on any of this for me? I wish I could just go and spend the night at the store!

Hi Cheftoni,

I certainly understand how confusing it can be … and unfortunately many manufacturers and mattress outlets take full advantage of the confusion.

I should start out by saying that neither of these two mattresses is likely to be suitable for you and they are certainly not great value, even if they were. The iComfort worked out to about 5.0 lbs however the gel is quite dense and so would tend to raise the density of the memory foam that contained it.

The main reason that both would almost certainly be unsuitable for you is because they both contain far too much soft foam in the comfort layers. The revolution has 5 3/4" of soft foam on top (4 3/4 of this is memory foam and 1" is polyfoam) and this is way too much for anyone who sleeps on their stomach or back. The memoryworks is even worse and has 6" of memory foam on top. Quite frankly I would not recommend either of these mattresses for any sleeping position or for anyone as they are both “overkill” IMO. Even the Tempur Cloud Luxe … while certainly a good quality memory foam … would likely be too soft and thick for you.

In general stomach sleepers need the thinnest comfort layer, back sleeping is in the middle, and side sleepers need the thickest comfort layer. It is rare that anyone … even a side sleeper … would need more than 4" in a comfort layer. Stomach sleeping is a common source of back issues as stomach sleepers tend to sleep in a “swayback” position, especially if their comfort layer is more than an inch (or at most two) or if their support layer is too soft.

In terms of pillows … stomach sleepers generally do best with either a very thin pillow or no pillow at all, back sleepers need a medium pillow, and side sleepers need a thicker pillow.

If you could give me an idea of your normal preferred sleeping position or positions and your height/weight I could probably give you a few more specific guidelines as to what type of layering and construction could work for you. While it’s clear that you prefer thick soft mattresses … you can certainly achieve any level of pressure relief you may need (even on your hips and shoulders) with thinner layers than these mattresses.

The foam that is the most “cradling” is memory foam (you would sink in the deepest) and the next most “cradling” would be latex. They are about equal in terms of pressure relief. It is quite likely that the mattress in Mexico was one of these although of course it is hard to know for sure. They would probably tell you if you were to call them.

I am not a big fan of memory foam (especially if it is a thick layer) for back issues and a thick polyfoam comfort layer in a mattress is also not so great for backs and will also wear out too quickly. If memory foam is your preference then the thinnest, highest quality comfort layer that will relieve pressure is usually the best.

Rather than purchasing any major brand … you would almost certainly get much better quality and value in any type of mattress … including memory foam … from a smaller independent manufacturer. If you let me know where you are I’d be happy to take a look and see if there are any near you.

Hope this helps a bit and if you let me know some of your “stats” I’ll be happy to go into more detail.

Phoenix

Thanks for taking the time to help me work this out. I am 5’8" and 180 lbs. I have narrow hips and broad shoulders My husband is 6’ and 160 lbs. He is shaped like a pole! He says he doesn’t care what type of mattress we get and he likes all that we have tried. We are both mostly side sleepers. And I do love that “cradling” feeling. We live in Austin, Texas. There’s a mattress store on every corner, but I’m not sure about manufacturers.

Hi Cheftoni,

There are several manufacturers in Austin that would be worth checking out or visiting.

http://www.sleepworld.net/ He is an independent factory direct manufacturer who carries a wide range of both memory foam and latex. I talked with him this morning and was very impressed with his openness and willingness to share information with me. He also offers good quality and value IMO. I believe that he would steer you in the right direction in terms of finding a high quality and value mattress that was suitable for your needs and preferences.

Furniture Row® Store Locations - Store Hours & Addresses They carry a house brand which includes several memory foam and latex mattresses as well as several major brands with their own model names.

http://www.urbanmattress.com/ Austin. Retail direct outlet for their own house brand (Urban organics latex mattresses), along with a range of mattresses made by Sherwood, Suite Sleep, and VI Springs (ultra premium). Good people who have always been knowledgeable and open about their mattresses when I have talked with them.

While alll of these would likely provide better value than most other outlets … my first stop would certainly be sleepworld.

Because of your side sleeping and profile … I would start by testing comfort layers in the range of 3" using either good quality memory foam or softer latex and then adjust up or down from there depending on the material in the comfort layer and the support layers under it. Make sure you test separately for pressure relief and alignment on each mattress as these are two separate (although interrelated) functions of a mattress. The overall feel of a mattress is also important as a preference of course but this “feel” (such as how “cradling” the mattress is) should be part of a choice between mattresses that you know provide good pressure relief and correct alignment rather than the “primary” basis for a mattress choice. Your husband is fortunate as his body type is one of the simplest to accommodate in a mattress :).

If you have any questions either before or after mattress testing … feel free to post them.

Phoenix

I visited Sleepworld a couple of days ago. Sadly, the latex mattress I like is $5,000!!! The memory foam is $2,000. The others were way to firm for me. The salesman didn’t seem to know much about comfort layers. Maybe I wasn’t asking the question right, but he kept telling me the depth of the mattress and when I asked about the top layer, he’d say it’s all latex or all foam.

I also went back to Macy’s and tried the Olivewood again. I wanted to rest on it for at least 15 minutes as recommended. I ended up falling asleep… 30 minutes later my snoring woke me up. My husband was mortified to hear this, but the store was deserted and the salesman said he’d let me try it for as long as I wanted! I understand what you are saying about this mattress—that it’s comfort layer is too deep and that could cause problems over time, but it sure feels good initially!

I’ll visit the other stores and let you know what happens.

Hi Cheftoni,

Do you know the name of the mattress that you liked at Sleepworld? When you are “field testing” … the price of a mattresses that you like makes little difference because the goal is to find out the materials and the layer thicknesses that provide good pressure relief and spinal alignment. Once you know the construction of a suitable mattress, the last step is deciding where to buy a mattress that has a similar construction and if it it is not available locally at a good value … then you would have the information you need to make an accurate online purchase at a much lower cost.

It certainly sounds like the salesman you dealt with there was different from the one I talked with.

Once you have tested a mattress for pressure relief and then tested it for alignment … the questions to ask are always similar to (can I see the spec sheet or cutaway so I can find out what is in each layer of this mattress?). If you need more pressure relief … then a thicker or softer comfort layer would be the next one to test. If you are sinking in to the mattress too much in say your hips and are out of alignment but the pressure relief seems good … then the next mattress you look at should have a similar comfort layer but a firmer support layer. Every salesperson should have access to the inch by inch and layer by layer description of the materials inside every mattress they sell and be able to tell you which layer doesn’t seem quite right for you based on your “lay on bed testing” (instead of simply saying the whole mattress is “wrong”). If they can’t or don’t … then you are likely in the wrong store or dealing with the wrong person.

Phoenix

Hi again Cheftoni,

I talked with sleepworld again and confirmed that they have many latex mattresses in every budget. The one that you looked at was 15" of completely organic latex which is why it was so expensive. It has 6" of medium firm organic latex under 3" of medium organic latex under 3" of medium soft organic latex under 2 layers of 1.5" of soft organic latex which are “eggcrate” which makes them softer yet.

15" is certainly nice to have however it is not necessary at all. 8-9" of latex would be all you need and you could find a mattress in this thickness that felt just as good as the thicker mattress. An all latex mattress thicker than this would generally be suitable for those that are much heavier and in most cases are completely unnecessary. I couldn’t imagine anyone needing more than 12" although what is in this 12" in terms of layering will of course make a big difference in how it feels and how suitable it may be for a particular person and sleeping position.

What your testing experience is telling me is that a mattress with 3" or so of very soft latex (19ILD or less) in natural or blended talalay would likely work well for you. If this was over a medium middle layer and a firm bottom layer you would be close to a latex mattress that felt good and was well within your budget. Even a 3" very soft latex over an innerspring or high quality polyfoam would likely work well for those that are on a more limited budget. Because you like a thicker softer comfort layer … you would be best looking at a comfort layer which is effectively about 3-4" over a support core that kept you in alignment (this could be an innerspring … high quality polyfoam … or latex … depending on what felt best to you).

If you really do prefer memory foam as a comfort layer in spite of its many disadvantages (in terms of performance, durability, health benefits, and overall sleeping comfort) compared to latex, then the absolute thickest I would consider would be 4" of 5.0 lb or greater density and probably thinner if possible. If it had a quilted cover (that would slightly reduce how far you sink into the memory foam) then perhaps a little thicker would be OK. This would normally be over a polyfoam support layer.

In your case … since the mattresses you were looking at previously (Sealy Simmons etc) are at the absolute bottom end of any “natural” scale, I would not be looking for organic materials as this will put you out of your budget. All latex (blended or otherwise) is “healthier” than any polyfoam or memory foam … even if the polyfoam or memory foam has what they call “green” ingredients (like “soy” based or “plant oil” based).

So what you are looking for in general terms is 3-4" of soft latex (or high density memory foam) over a firmer support core.

To give you an “apples to apples” value comparison … the “classic 11” at sleepworld would be “similar” to the memory foam mattresses you liked (the iComfort and Memoryworks) but much higher quality and a lower price. It is significantly better value than anything you were looking at. It still has more memory foam in it than I would choose however I wanted to give you a sense of an actual value comparison between an independent manufacturer and a larger outlet.

If I was choosing a latex mattress (or a mattress with a latex comfort layer) at sleepworld … I would be looking at one of these http://www.sleepworld.net/latex/ or one of the latex over innersprings or latex/memory foam combinations over an innerspring … all of which would be in your budget and would cost you 50% more (at least) if it was a national brand being purchased from a “typical” mattress store.

Phoenix

So what mattress did you end up buying? I am having the same problem, tired of sleeping in a pot hole.
chicago

Hi Anonymous,

This thread may help you and includes some feedback about My Green Mattress which is one of the manufacturing members of the site and offers some of the best quality and value mattresses in the country including several latex options.

Sleeping in a pothole is almost always the result of low quality (density) soft polyfoam in a mattress which is why it’s important to know what is in all the layers inside a mattress so you can tell where the weak link of the mattress is and have a much better idea of how long it will last. Local factory direct manufacturers tend to use much higher quality materials and construction methods so the “sleeping in a pothole” symptoms that are so common in the national brands are far less likely to happen if they even happen at all.

Phoenix

Phoenix, what are your thoughts on the icomfort renewal refined? My girl has her heart set on it and by laying on it in the store for about a half hour to an hour i thought it felt comfortable as well. The problem is i am doing research on memory foam beds and am coming across a ton of information. I read on one site that is you weigh 200+lbs that you need more than 4"s in the comfort layer is there any truth to that? Also i need to add my girl doesn’t like ANY of the tempurpedic beds she claims that they are too firm for her. Thanks.

Hi Immortal216,

The Renewal Refined is one of the iComforts I haven’t personally tested so my comments are limited to an analysis of the design, materials and and value rather than the “comfort” or “feel”. I also haven’t done a “summary” of the complete iComfort lineup so I’ll do that here as well. I may even put your post and this reply into the main iComfort thread if that’s OK with you.

I should start by saying that I agree that when someone is over 200 lbs, then there is a greater risk of premature softening and breakdown of any material but this is especially true with memory foam under the equivalent of 5 lb density and low to mid grade polyfoam when they are used in the upper layers (comfort layers) of a mattress.

The top layer of the Refined is 5 lb KoolComfort breathable memory foam which is a faster reacting good quality memory foam.

The next layer is the Cool Action gel memory foam. This is 4 lb density but the polymer density (the density of the actual memory foam before they add the gel beads) is less than this. The ILD is @10.5 which means it would be a fairly soft memory foam but would the gel beads would allow it to become firmer faster with deeper compression and it would have the durability of a sub 4 lb or “lower quality” memory foam (adding particles to foam lowers it’s durability). The beads act to reduce heat through convection (rather than evaporation) so they would not be as effective in the second layer of the mattress but the top layer is a more breathable foam to make up for this. There are also better ways to use gel IMO as an additive to other types of foam than using beads or particles which lower the durability of the foam they’re added to.

NOTE: The initial information in this post and my calculations led me to believe that the Cool Action memory foam was 5 lb but it appears that I was being generous and it is actually a 4 lb memory foam which means the polymer density of the memory foam before they add the gel would be even less. since polymer density determines durability and particles added to a foam can reduce durability … this would likely be a lower durability memory foam.

The next layer is 1.5" of Cool Action gel energy foam which is probably their name for Talalay latex. This is a good quality material and very durable.

Under this is 1" of support foam which appears to be a very firm 1.3 lb polyfoam which is low quality/density polyfoam that would be more appropriate for a much lower cost mattresses. This acts as a firming layer between the softer upper layers and the support core and would give the mattress a slightly firmer feel.

Finally on the bottom is the 6" support core which is apparently 1.5 lb polyfoam which is low quality for a higher budget mattress and is typically found in the support cores of “budget” mattresses.

In essence you have a mattresses which uses a range of low to high quality materials which falls in the softer but not the softest part of the iComfort lineup in terms of feel.

The upper memory foam layers are rather thick at 4.75" but the beads in the gel foam would slightly reduce the amount of sinking over other 4 lb foams and would make it feel firmer with less sinking in than other memory foams.

Overall … I would say this would be among the better iComfort models for those who want layers of memory foam this thick (which can be risky) and are confident that it won’t create issues with spinal alignment for their weight, body shape, and sleeping positions. It would be less risky than the Revolution (now Savant) or the Prodigy which use the same layer thickness of memory foam on top of the mattress but combine that with materials which would allow for more sinking in and greater risk of misalignment of the spine.

To give you a sense of how the iComfort lineup works from the lowest price model up to the highest priced model and some comments on how each would generically compare to other similar mattresses …

All of the lineup shares the same 2.75" of “Cool Action” gel memory foam with the same Comfortlast 6" polyfoam support core (which has firmer polyfoam on the outside to make the edges firmer.

The Insight just has the gel memory foam over the support core. It would be most comparable to a basic memory foam mattress with about 3" of sub 4 lb breathable memory foam over a lower quality base foam and should be compared to these in terms of quality/durability. It would feel “firmer” than most 4 lb memory foams though because of the gelbeads) but shouldn’t be compared to these in terms of value/durability.

The Genius has an additional 2" of support foam (very firm) in between the gel memory foam and the support core. This is a polyfoam which is lower density than the support core and also firmer than the core so for many people it would give the mattress a little firmer feel although depending on weight some people may rate it as feeling softer than the Insight. This would depend on how much of the firmer layer someone feels. This also means that it is adding a material in the upper layers that is less durable (the polyfoam). This would be comparable to a mattress that had a basic 3" of sub 4 lb memory foam and a lower quality support core and then had a layer of polyfoam in between to act as a firming layer and create a firmer feel than the support core alone.

The top models all have an additional 2" of KoolComfort 5 lb breathable memory foam in addition to the 2 “basic” layers (2.75" of CoolAction gel memory foam and the 6" ComfortLast support core) that all the models share.

The Revolution (now Savant) has 1" inch of softer polyfoam (what they call comfort foam) above the gel memory foam and then adds the KoolComfort above this so the softer polyfoam is sandwiched in between. They don’t list this layer in the description on the Serta site although it’s clear it’s there from the thickness of the mattress. The comfort foam would likely be a softer and a similar density polyfoam as the “support foam” in the Genius meaning it would be slightly less durable but would give a softer feeling to the mattress (more soft foam to sink into). The softer comfort foam and the soft additional layer of memory foam makes this one of the softest models of the lineup in most people’s perception. This would be most comparable to many multilayered memory foam mattresses which use a combination of softer and firmer memory foam and add some extra soft polyfoam underneath to make it all softer yet. IMO … the extra soft polyfoam is a negative rather than a positive but it creates a feel that people who don’t really know how to buy a suitable mattress and go by “showroom feel” alone tend to buy a lot (just like they buy a lot of pillowtops which are soft and plush in the showroom but quickly break down as the foam softens more quickly than it should and can lead to back alignment issues for some from too much soft foam on top).

The Prodigy is the same as the Revolution (now Savant) except they add 1" of slow recovery latex … a higher quality material … to the comfort layers. Because the slow recovery latex also feels soft … some people may perceive this model as being softer even than the Revolution because the comfort materials are even thicker but for most it’s the other way around because the slow recovery latex would feel firmer and would also isolate the gel foam below it a little more making it firmer as well. The lowest quality material in this model besides the gel memory foam in terms of density and durability would be the low density polyfoam comfort layer (also not listed on the Serta site). There would also be a risk here of too much soft foam in the top of the mattress and the alignment and possible back issues that can come from this.

Goodnight Refined: has exactly the same layering as the Genius except there is another inch of gel memory foam under the top 2.75" layer and above the 1.3 lb firm support foam. This would also be among the firmest of the lineup. It’s also rather remarkable to see the huge jump in price from the Genius with only an extra inch of gel memory foam.

The Renewal Refined has the same top 2 layers as the other top 3 models but they add 1.5" of “gel energy foam” under the memory foam layers and then an inch of the 1.3 lb firm support foam under this and all of this is above the 1.5 lb polyfoam core. The Gel energy foam appears to be Talalay latex (higher quality) with gel added and latex has a higher compression modulus (which allows a softer foam to get firmer faster) so is also more supportive. This would in the softer side of the lineup because of the extra layer of memory foam and the “gel energy foam”. It would be more comparable to a mattress that used 2 layers of memory foam and then a layer of latex under the memory foam to add a “soft but supportive” feel to the memory foam.

Wellbeing Refined: is the same as the Renewal refined except the layers are in a different order and there is an extra inch of gel memory foam. It has the 2" layer of 5 lb KoolComfort memory foam on top with an inch of the Gel memory foam under that with 1.5" of Talalay latex with gel under that and then the regular 2.75" layer of gel memory foam under that over the 6" 1.5 lb polyfoam support core. The top 2 layers (3") are also in a separate pillowtop construction to make it a bit softer yet. Once again… an extra inch of the gel memory foam equals a huge jump in price.

The goal of the iComforts seems to have been to create a “showroom feel” that people would buy but there is less emphasis on the quality of materials that are used to create this feel. While they have certainly been successful in this … and they are one of the best selling mattresses in North America … they certainly would not have the durability or value of mattesses that used higher quality materials to get to the same feel and sell for lower prices (usually sold by smaller manufacturers).

ADDED: According to a Serta rep (see post #12 here) the specs of the iComfort foams are as follows …

Support foam is 1.3 lbs. density and 52.5 lbs. IFD (very firm)
Cool Gel Foam layer 2 inches 4.1 lbs. 10.5 IFD
Core layer 6 inches 1.51 and 33 lbs. IFD

Assuming this information is correct … the polyfoam (support foam and core layer) is low quality and is usually seen only in the lowest price ranges not in mattresses at this price. The gel memory foam is in a “mid range” density. these are not the quality of materials that should be in mattresses in this price range.

So overall … the iComforts individually and as a lineup have done well to target the range of “feels” that people like and there is a wide variety of these feels to suit most consumers. What they’ve “missed” … is using the quality of materials that would make this feel longer lasting. While they are priced below some other mainstream mattresses that have similar feels … they get there at the expense of durability and promote a “showroom feel”. They compete well with other mainstream brands which are now rushing to come out with their own versions of gel materials because of their popularity. Some of these competitors are now using gel foams that use more durable applications of the gel and there are also more smaller manufacturers who are also coming out with their own gel mattresses which are far better value than any of the mainstream brands.

So a quick summary of the iComfort lineup?

A good range of different feels that cater to the perceptions of a large majority of consumers who tend to buy a mattress more subjectively than objectively and using materials to get there that are “mixed” in quality from very low to high. The gel memory foam itself would be on the lower end of the memory foam durability scale. They compare fairly well to their “direct” national brand competitors that would likely be on the same showroom floor but all of these would be fairly poor value. They have some models that are better or worse depending on the amount of lower quality materials in the particular model. They also use more lower quality or “questionable” materials than many other mattresses made by smaller regional, national, and especially local manufacturers who are now making mattresses with similar feels using higher quality materials at lower prices … meaning better value.

Phoenix

Wow that’s a lot to take in lol I have no problem with you using my question to post on other threads. So what I gathered from the response is the Icomfort is not really a good value and local manufacturer tend to build their beds with higher quality materials. but, if you were going to buy an icomfort the renewal refined would be the one to buy? and how long would you project the renewal to last someone over 200lbs? My fiance still wants to go through with the purchase of the icomfort because of the 120day in home trial saying that if we don’t like it we can always send it back (after paying the $149 of course.) I have 2 more questions for you since you are the master of the mattress lol what are your thoughts on the plush beds botanical bliss 9" all natural latex bed? and i know you did a section on pillows but i still wanna know you thoughts on the icomfort pillow (the serta 2 in 1 scrunch pillow) i laid on that thing for awhile and loved it i am a side sleeper and from my understanding side sleepers tend to like higher pillows Thank You very much.

Hi Immortal216,

You have it exactly right. My preferences in the line would be the Insight (firmer but no extra lower quality foam besides the gel memory foam itself which would be the weak link), the Prodigy (uses mostly higher quality materials but there is a real risk that there is too much soft material for most people for best alignment) and the Renewal refined (which uses more “supportive” materials in the thicker upper layers so the risk is less and it would tend to have better alignment/support along with the pressure relief). It’s still pretty thick on top though. So these models are the “better ones” in the line IMO and may have “relatively” better value than other options in the stores that sell them but none of them have good value compared to the choices I personally would tend to make.

This is not really possible to tell because there are so many variables including weight, body shape, how much someone moves on their mattress, and the degree of softening it would take to put you out of your range of tolerance. For example … if someone was on a mattress that was on the edge of being too soft for good alignment (their hips were sinking in just a little too far but not “over the edge” enough to really create symptoms) … then the initial softening that happens with memory foam and polyfoam over the first 90 days or so could make the mattress too soft and cause backache even though the foams would not be worn out.

I would tend to avoid 4 lb foams with weights over 200 lbs because they tend to not stand up. The good news with this is that the gel memory foam is under the 5 lb memory foam (which would take up more of the initial compression) and there is also some good quality foam below it (to help take up some of the load) so it may last a little longer than if it was on the very top.

Perhaps the biggest unknown of all at this point is the real life durability of gel foams as a group that have gel particles added to them. While the polymer density of the gel memory foam is @ 4 lbs which will usually last a few years less than the fairly typical 10 - 12 years of higher quality 5 lb and higher memory foam (with a wide range on both sides depending on the person), there is a chance that adding gel particulates will make the gel foams even less durable than a “typical” 4 lb foam and they are too new on the market to know for sure. The warranty has a .75" exclusion which tells me that they expect the durability in terms of loss of height will likely be good (which is what the warranty covers) … this doesn’t cover the durability in terms of softening though which can make a mattress unsuitable for sleeping on long before the foam breaks down enough to start losing height without any weight on the mattress and warranties don’t cover this.

If you have a 120 day trial … then at least the initial softening period would be over and this would be followed with a much more gradual softening over a longer time.

They are good quality but not the best value. There are several comments around the forum about Plushbeds (that a forum search will bring up) but in post #11 here their spam of this forum gave me a chance to do a direct comparison with one of our manufacturing members. The comparison was with the 8" mattress and the difference would be more with their higher cost models.

They would certainly be a “better than average” choice but not as good as many local manufacturers (where you would also get the cance to actually test the mattress) or some of the manufacturing members of the site who sell online.

Pillows are a much more subjective and preference/feel based choice than even a mattress (as long as it’s generally suitable for your sleeping position and keeps your head and neck in alignment and supported). I haven’t tried the icomfort pillow but because it can be scrunched (because of the memory foam clusters) it would be suitable for someone who slept in a wide range of positions and needed a very flat pillow for stomach sleeping and thicker for side. The clusters may tend to get a little thin for side sleeping over the course of the night but of course they can be scrunched up again if that happens. Beyond that I would think that some may or may not be comfortable with the feel of memory foam clusters and that part would be a much more personal choice.

On a personal level … the trillow memory foam pillow my DH Is sleeping on is one of the nicest memory foams I’ve tried and both of us like it a lot. She uses it with the outer layer removed to make it a little thinner while I use it (the few times I get to) with the layer added in.

Phoenix

As always thank you very much for the information im going to go to the original mattress factory today and try out their latex and memory foam bed with my fiance. all the insight is much appreciated.

Hi Immortal216,

When you are at OMF, I would suggest you try their latex mattresses on a firm foundation (such as their adjustable bed) not just on the “active” box springs as it can make a difference in how they feel.

Their new memory foam model is also well worth testing. It uses higher quality materials (in both the comfort layers and the support core) than the iComfort and has much better value.

I’m not sure what city you are in but there may also be other factory direct manufacturers with some very good options for you to try and like OMF they typically have very good quality and value.

Phoenix

I am in Cleveland, Ohio

Hi Immortal216,

I think post #2 here may help you a bit (although you’ve already discovered OMF) :slight_smile:

Once you’ve tested the mattresses at OMF, then a couple of phone calls asking if the others have anything which is similar to any mattress you liked at OMF (who will give you the exact specs of their mattresses) will help you decide if the two that are further away are worth the drive. Just make sure that you ask the most important question … “Can you tell me the specifics of each layer in the mattress?” and “how much is it in ___ size?” so that you can make sure that what you are considering doesn’t include layers that aren’t disclosed and that the value is in a comparable range. If you actually go there and you want to know for certain that there is no unknown polyfoam in a mattress you are considering, then looking at the law tag will also tell you whether there are any polyfoam layers (listed by percentage weight not thickness or the order of the layering) that you may not be told about.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Can you recommend any manufacturers in the Atlanta area? I find myself comparing different brands from Sams, Costco, te Macys/Memoryworks but many of the “brands” I cannot find a place to go lie on one.

Hi wave,

The most important part of mattress shopping is to pay little attention to brands and to look at the materials in every mattress you are considering. Most of the brands you are considering don’t list the type and quality of the materials in their mattress and without this … you can end up buying a “cheap” mattress that can end up being very expensive.

Most of these online outlets have little knowledge or the materials in their mattresses which means that what they don’t know … you will need to know which involves a lot more research to avoid a mattress that “sounds good” but can easily end up being a poor choice because of low quality materials that won’t last.

There is a list of guidelines here that can help you avoid most of the traps and pitfalls of mattress shopping and will help you put your energy into outlets (mostly factory direct manufacturers or smaller outlets that carry alternative or local brands) that have the skills and knowledge to help you make the best selection at better prices that are usually available at the larger outlets that sell major brands with “unknown” materials inside them.

Online shopping can be great if there is not a lot of local quality and value available but only if you can find out the exact construction of the mattress you are looking at and the outlet has a good refund policy or exchange policy to make up for any mistakes. Either they or you also need to have the knowledge and skills to know exactly what type of mattress would best fit your needs and preferences.

You have some very good choices available to you and it’s unlikely that online shopping would be your best option though. Post #2 here includes some of the better choices in the Atlanta area.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick response! My wife and I sleep on an 8" Tempurpedic (back from the days of only being 2 options - the 8" & 10"). We love the mattress yet have no idea what is in it regardless of all the searching. The mattress we are searching for is for a full size for our 3 year old daughter who is transitioning from a crib converted bed.

I have read extensively on this and other sites regarding the types of beds, the materials used etc and although I know this isn’t quite your cup of tea, we’ve decided up to now that we like the feel of the memory foam and tend to like to like the mattresses with a 3lb or 4lb layer - we found the 5lb a bit rigid and given it’s for a child and occasional adult, we’re not sure its necessary. Do you have any particular thoughts on the specs/quality of a mattress for a younger one who will likely not exceed 120lbs until after 18? (given family history)…

What I’ve struggled with is that certain brands (i.e. the Memoryworks @ Macys) are poor quality and clearly overpriced. We’ve looked into Ikea in detail with the help of your post and a detailed report at another mattress site and have ruled them out. While I had hoped to like the latex, it just seemed too firm but that seems very specific to the mattress @ ikea. I have had trouble finding latex affordable but am looking.

We had narrowed into Aerus/Foamex (Sams Club/Amazon), Night Therapy (Sams), Novaform (Costco/Amazon), and Spa Sensations (Walmart). This may change as I look in more detail and particularly thanks for the reference to the atlanta mfg cos.

I clearly have more research to do but am trying to follow your process, gauge what we we like, and make a decision before my wife kills me. If you have any particular thoughts for sub $500 range, kids mattress, based on my wife liking the feel of the 8" memoryworks (yes I know…) mattress, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I’m pursuing the path but may be forced into a decision soon before she kills me.

Thanks again for all the help!