Serta iSeries

Hello: After searching for a super-firm mattress, we purchased a king-sized Serta i Series a little over a year ago form Mattress Warehouse here in Maryland. We have been very disappointed in it, due to deep body impressions, sagging, and a lack of support (both physically and from the store). We followed Mattress Warehouse’s protocol and waited weeks for them to schedule a 3rd party mattress “inspector” to measure the indentations and shape of the mattress so we could make a claim. Of course, you know he said everything was fine – even though we are sleeping in troughs on either side of the bed with a huge hump in the middle. We are both smaller people-- my husband weighs 180 with a great physique, and I weigh 130; we are in our early 60s and work out regularly. We now are terrified to purchase another mattress even though it is clear we need something different. After spending $2,000 and getting burned, we don’t know where to turn. We both want that very firm support and do not like the plush euro-tops. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be most helpful. (P.S. the mattress we had prior to this one lasted for 17 years and is still in our guest room!).

Hi Helen,

Your experience is certainly unfortunate but is also much too common when there is so little information available to consumers about how to make an informed mattress purchase. The first place I would start your research for a new mattress is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands such as Serta and most of the mainstream retailers such as Mattress Warehouse).

The industry was very different 17 years ago and it’s much more common to find lower quality and less durable materials and designs now than it was then (see post #3 here and post #404 here).

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post one by one you will have a much better chance of making a great purchase that will be suitable for your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP and will last you for many years.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix