Shopping around and could use some advice.

I’ve read quite a lot of the material here and I love how informative it is, there is an obvious passion and a great deal of knowledge put into this site. I’ve been sleeping on pretty generic/old beds my whole life and so my point of reference is greatly limited and while there is a plethora of good information here, I am ashamed to admit that most of it doesn’t mean that much given my previous very limited pool in this area.

My wife and I are looking to buy a bed and we’ve seen a few “deals:” that seem too good and given our lack of knowledge we tried to find reviews on one in particular but couldn’t find any, we tried a few times and I finally thought wait, there must be a mattress forum with people who know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than I do.

I would like some opinions on a few we’ve been looking at, I live in Belleville, Ontario and saw a previous post to a gentlemen looking for a latex bed that had a few links in my area, we aren’t really looking for that and not, my wife and I have gone to few places and tried out a few beds, she likes pocket coil pillow top, I like the euro top.

here is one we’re looking at, its on another site for much much less but seems like getting it for less than 500$ is way too good and so I feel like it might not be a safe buy.

In your expert opinions is it going be similar to this one? If we can save 500$ we will.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: mattressdirect.ca/viscologic-classic-2000-pocket-coil-with-memory-foam-mattress-viscologic-classic-2000-pocket-coil-with-memory-foam-mattress-kin.html| Archived Footprint 2: jysk.ca/mattresses/mattress-sets/serta-harlyn-spring-mattress-set.html

I’m going to a local warehouse to look at a 5 inch euro top tonight but that’s the only info I have on it atm, it doesn’t say brand or whats inside ect ect.

Hi Godless Servant,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. There is also a shorter and more simplified version at the end of the tutorial for those who don’t want as many details.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of (for any type of mattress not just for latex) in and around the Belleville, ON area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: mattressdirect.ca/viscologic-classic-2000-pocket-coil-with-memory-foam-mattress-viscologic-classic-2000-pocket-coil-with-memory-foam-mattress-kin.html| Archived Footprint 2: jysk.ca/mattresses/mattress-sets/serta-harlyn-spring-mattress-set.html

I would be very cautious with both of these mattresses.

I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else or how two mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would avoid all the major brands (such as Simmons, Sealy, or Serta) or any other mattress that uses lower quality or “unknown” materials in the comfort layers especially which could be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability (see the guidelines here). No matter how it may feel in a showroom … if you purchase a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials that would be a weak link in the mattress then it is much more likely to soften or break down much more quickly than higher quality and more durable materials and you may need to replace the mattress much too quickly relative to the price you paid because the premature loss of the comfort and support which was the reason you purchased the mattress in the first place isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

In other words … I wouldn’t consider the Serta Harlyn that you linked.

The link to the Viscologic 2000 doesn’t include any meaningful information about the quality or durability of the materials inside the mattress. If you can provide the information listed here about all the layers and components of the mattress and post them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise its durability. If the retailer you are dealing with either isn’t willing or able to provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice (or if it’s too difficult to find out the information that you need) then I would pass the mattress by.

Phoenix