Simmons Black Edenton

Having second thoughts about purchase from yesterday! We have got to have a new mattress quickly since we are giving our bed to a granddaughter. After trying out the i series and a Sterns and Foster for an hour, I moved to a Simmons Black Edenton and stayed a while and bought it. Now I am reading about them and one site said it was for stomach sleepers( I’m side!) and it is for people in the 200- 250 range. I am 140 and my husband is 190. Did I make a mistake? Got to get this mattress stuff behind me and stop being obsessed! Help!

Hi Giddy,

The best suggestion I could make would be a “reset” in “how” you are looking for a mattress and I would start with the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones including the major brands such as Simmons including their Beautyrest Black line which uses too much lower quality foam in their comfort layers which would be a significant weak link in the mattress (see the guidelines here).

There is also more information in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase but the only way to know whether a mattress is suitable for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences is with careful and objective testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and your own personal experience regardless of what some people may say about it.

Even if you did some careful testing on the mattress and confirmed that it’s a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP though (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … when there is too much low quality and less durable materials in the mattress (which there are in all the Beautyrest Black line) then the risk would be much higher that they would soften and break down too quickly and you could lose the comfort and support (that is the reason you chose the mattress in the first place) and need to replace the mattress much too quickly after a purchase relative to the price you paid and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

If you have the ability to cancel the purchase I would seriously consider doing so and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix