Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Deleted

According to the Silk & Snow website they use a transition layer of 2.7 lb foam under the upper layer of 4 lb memory foam, but its base support layer is actually 1.8 lb. density foam.

Hi datwundude.

[indent] Congratulations on your Sleep On Latex (our Trusted Member) mattress purchase! :lol:
Thanks for sharing your experience with with them… I am glad you are enjoying your new mattress and sorry to hear about the set back with the FedEx shipment. Thanks though for your caution and recommendation connected with king size beds shippements in Post #4 here.
I hope you’ll have some time to update us after you have a chance to sleep on it for a while longer…[/indent]

To moonunitann

Thanks for your update, I hope your SOL mattress in on the way…Let us know what frimness you’ve decided on. As you know Sleep On Latex is one of our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency…

To strangerousanya …Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:
I am sorry that your Purple mattress does not work out for you, but the good news is that there are quite a few good options in your price range all with good and durable materials. Al the specs for OSO, KISS, and Sedona are listed in Post #2 here, and depending on your needs, preferences, and BMI they would all be good options to consider.

Here are a few latex or latex hybrid options that may be also worth considering, within your budget range around $1200 from our Trusted Members (I am not sure if you crossed out the innerspring option from your list but just in case you do I’ll include those as well)

[indent]SleepEZ has several options here
Arizona Premium Mattress has some options here and here and here
Luma Sleep has a Talalay/Innerspring mattress here
Flexus has a dual sided and dual firmness latex mattress here .
My Green Mattress has an all latex and a latex/pocket coil hybrid here
Sleep On Latex has two latex mattresses here .
Sedona Sleep has a two piece polyfoam/Talalay latex base mattress/topper combination here
Latex Mattress Factory has a 7" latex mattress here …[/indent]

Aside from this I would make sure to revisit the mattress shopping tutorial here(there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
When assessing any product and before making any purchase also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

To seanpatrick, Napper @ Sweet Dreams

[indent]Thanks for chiming in! :slight_smile: … Silk & Snow was recently discussed and responded directly on our forum about oam spec “changes” confusion in post #14 here.

In case strangerousanya is considering this option I am listing the mattress specs as confirmed by S&S
2" of 4 lb Memory Foam
2" of 2.7 lb Responsive High-Performance Poly Foam
6" of 1.8 lb Support Polyfoam
Polyester/Spandex/Silver Infused Zipper Cover

The 2.7lb transition foam is one of the high-performance poly-foams of higher densities which was formulated to have viscoelastic properties (See post #2 here) I would place a slight caution for the higher weight ranges due to the 4 lb of memory foam in the upper layer of the mattress.[/indent]

Phoenix

Hello!

I’m currently looking to replace an old innerspring mattress, but am having a hard time deciding whether to take the plunge and get a foam mattress (either memory or latex) or just dip my toes in the water with a foam hybrid to keep that innerspring feel. If I go with the hybrid, I’m looking at the Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid. For a latex foam option, I was looking at the SleepOnLatex 9", and for a memory foam I was looking at the new T&N Mint mattress.

To give a little background, I’m 6’4", 170#, and a combination sleeper, primarily side and back. I do have lower back pain, so I want something to help relieve that. Having never had a memory foam bed, I’m not sure how much sinking in I want to do. To throw a wrench in the works, this will also serve as a guest bed when the in-laws come to visit and one of them is on the heavier side - so I need it to also be able to support the additional weight and sleep cool.

Do you have any opinions on the mattresses that I’ve been looking at, or which way to go in general (hybrid, foam, etc)? I’ve also been checking out the KISS and Sedona Sleep mattresses from your list and find those interesting as well. And since I’m in the Richmond, VA area, I was thinking of going to check out Richmond Bedding and talking to them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Phoenix, I will update you once I sleep on it some more. I’m looking for a queen size mattress to go on an adjustable bed. I just had a chat conversation with Luxi since the price for the Luxi One (not the 3 in 1 Adjustable Luxi) is very attractive. I’d figure I post the specs if anyone is curious.

Here’s the 3 in 1 Luxi specs which is the same as you’ve previous posted with a small variation on the cover.

The cover:
3/4 inch Quilt Loft – Quilt Foam and 1oz. Fire Resistant Fiber Fill

The Interior:
3 1/2 inch SBT Layer - A proprietary 4 lb. Density foam architecture that offers air flow and resists sagging and body impressions.
1 inch Memory Foam Layer – 4 lb. Density Visco Elastic Foam
1 1/2 inch LuxiTex Layer - 4 lb. Dunlop Process, 100% LuxiTex
3 1/2 inch Foam Base Layer – 2 lb. High Density Support Foam
Total Thickness - 10 1/4 inch

Here’s the specs I gathered on the Luxi One (non adjustable)

The cover:
same material as above without the quilted foam so the cover does not contribute to the height of the mattress

The Interior:
1 inch LuxiTex Layer
2.25 inch SBT Layer
5.75 inch Foam Base Layer
Total Thickness - 9 inches

The $500 cost difference is very attractive since I probably won’t need the adjustable feature and be happy with the standard medium firm

Hi h-man93.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Note: I’ve moved your post to a different more relevant topic so as to keep the discussion in progress separate from the previous…

[quote] I’m currently looking to replace an old innerspring mattress, but am having a hard time deciding whether to take the plunge and get a foam mattress (either memory or latex) or just dip my toes in the water with a foam hybrid to keep that innerspring feel…
And since I’m in the Richmond, VA area, I was thinking of going to check out Richmond Bedding and talking to them[/quote]

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how to avoid the worst ones. I would also keep in mind that your mattress choice depends entirely on your own personal value equation and on all the variables, tradeoffs, and personal criteria that are most important to each person.

In your case, as you are not sure about the mattress type that you best like, the first step would be to choose a manufacturer or outlet where you can do some local testing rather than a specific mattress. I am glad you were thinking to visit Richmond Bedding (our newest trusted member) as Tim is someone that “knows his stuff” and can advise you on which of the specific mattresses types may work best for you or at least he can act as a reference point … then whether you decide to buy locally or online the choice of a mattress becomes much more informed. This will certainly save you a great deal of time… connecting with the experts who already know the specs and information that you would otherwise have to learn is much more effective than “becoming” an expert yourself or focusing on more technical details that can become overwhelming. With good help and guidance … your body and your “helper” will tell you which mattress is best for you

If you like the feel of memory foam … especially if your in-laws will use it is important to have more stringent durability considerations than for average weight ranges… and the density of the memory foam and the specific type of memory foam becomes important. With weights over 200 lbs … memory foam under 5 lbs won’t hold up nearly as long as higher density/quality memory foam. In addition to this … the different types of memory foam (more or less breathable, more or less responsive, more or less temperature sensitive etc) and the different layering patterns in the mattress (how thick is the memory foam, what type of support system is under it etc) becomes a major part of how suitable any particular memory foam mattress may be for you.

“Specs” about each person’s body type and sleeping position are an important part of how each person interacts with a mattress but there are many other variables as well. There are many different types of layering combinations that can perform equally well for people of a certain height and weight and sleeping style so the most “accurate” way to “fit” a mattress to each person is to work with a knowledgeable local person who has the experience and knowledge to help you make the most suitable choices in “real time” and in person. There are some general weight and height guidelines here and some general guidelines about sleeping positions here and some information about how different types of layering can change and affect these guidelines in this section of the site but these are general guidelines and starting points only and will do more to help you understand the general lanscape of mattress shopping more than they can be used to design or recommend a specific mattress based on what I call “theory at a distance”.

As far as the “throwing the wrench in the works” goes, I’d say that you’ve got quite a bit on your hands as it is and I’d suggest that you focus on a mattress that has the best chances to be suitable for the primary sleeper(s) and only later in the process introduce more variables and considerations :?:

I look forward to any updates or findings you might have from your visit to Richmond Bedding.

Phoenix

Hi datwundude.

Thanks for your contribution and providing the details. Yes, the price on Luxi one is very attractive … also as Luxi is a Trusted Member if you decide for either mattress, then make sure to use the TMU discount code to get a $250 off and the pillow(s) bonus.

Good luck with your new mattress hunt and let us know what you’ve decided.

Phoenix

I ordered the SOL medium 9" mattress. It arrived within 2 days – remarkable service! Packing was excellent. I was excited! Unfortunately, sleeping on this mattress aggravates lower back, hip and leg on my left side. It makes my right shoulder feel great but I can’t tolerate the hip and back pain. I woke at 3 AM last night and moved to my previous bed, a heavily padded futon mattress with foam core, which was now on the floor. Moving helped even tho I want to replace this mattress because it’s 8 years old. I could request the firm SOL but am afraid that latex is just not for me. I have used very firm futon combos or foam alone for years. Thought latex would be the new improved mattress for me but now I am thinking not. Back to the drawing board. Anyone else had this experience? If so, did going firmer work for you? I’ve tried the latex for 2 1/2 miserable nights. SOL customer service strongly urged me toward medium. I’m afraid to trade for firm which would leave me stuck with a purchase which very well may not work for me. I want to like the SOL product but the point is to have the right mattress.

Hi moonunitann.

I am sorry that you are experiencing discomfort and pains on your new mattress.

From your description, I cannot determine if the pains and discomfort are connected with lack of comfort, support, or both. …either way I’d strongly discourage you from making an assessment after just a few nights of sleep upon the product and keep in mind that generally there is a period of adjusting, what I like to call “period of retrogression”, where the mattress will adjust to you and you’ll adjust to your mattress and that three nights or one week would not be sufficient time to allow for your body to adjust to a new sleep surface as well as to lose some of its “learned alignment” Also a new mattress can expose some of “weaknesses” from your old sleeping conditions that the body somehow managed to adapt to… your case may be different and it could simply be an issue that the materials/comfort you’ve chosen unfortunately doesn’t meet with your needs. But I would certainly spend more than two weeks testing out any new mattress, and even if you end up returning the mattress this could be a valuable experience for your future purchase and I would use it to collect more data points.

You seem to indicate that the medium is too soft for you and you may want to do a little experiment with flipping the mattress and sleeping on the reverse side, which is a 6" of 30 ILD firmness just to see if this moves the needle in the right direction. Here are the two configurations that you are looking at:
The Pure Green Medium Option that you currently have is:
2" 20 ILD (of 4 lb/ft3) Dunlop top comfort layer
6" 30 ILD (of 4.9 lb/ft3) Dunlop support layer
The Pure Green Firm Version is what you would have if you exchange the mattress
2" 30 ILD Dunlop top comfort layer
6" 44 ILD Dunlop support layer

While “some” pain for a short time would be “normal” for some people (especially if the mattress is very different from what they are used to sleeping on) … more significant pain over a longer period certainly isn’t the norm and if the pain isn’t improving then I would certainly either exchange or return the mattress as well.

Let us know what you decide and if we can be of further assistance.

Phoenix

Flipping the mattress is a great idea Phoenix. I will try it – trusting that firmer is the direction I want to go. And thanks for your wise counsel regarding giving the body time to adjust. I’m not always the most patient.

Hi!

Couldn’t find a place to create a new thread/replying to this one

I have a 12 year old Simmons BeautyRest Easton model. My wife and I LOVED this mattress, but we are rapidly learning that newer Simmons models are not built to last

So, we looked at a 100% talalay latex mattress at a local store. We really liked the mattress, but it’s pricey. ($4k).

I have been looking at the Avocado mattress as well. I am wondering if that, without the pillow top but adding a Dunlop latex topper would be a good fit? Would be about $1k less than the local option, but I am wary of buying something sight unseen

I am approx 6’ tall, 252lbs. Spouse is 5’ 4", around 125lbs. I am stomach/side sleeper. She is side/back sleeper

A friend also swears by sleep number. I haven’t started looking at that yet. Any advice very appreciated!

Hi Phoenix, or anyone else that wants to take a stab at this.

We are a Canadian plus-size couple that wants to buy a Canadian made mattress. We are looking for a king size mattress, and 1.2k CND is about the max we can spend. To accomodate our life needs right now, we are looking to purchase a “bed in a box”.

It was said on another thread by Pheonix that we should be looking for something that meets these specifications at our BMIs:

With that being said, can anyone tell me if any of the following meet those specifications? Or which at least gets the closest to doing so? I’ve tried to find out myself but it’s all starting to hurt my head and lead me down an inescapable rabbit hole. :frowning:

I’d greatly appreciate any response that comes to this. Thank you.

Hi doomsponge,
The specs that Phoenix has cited for high BMI consumers are excellent guidelines for you to use. You will likely have quite a challenge trying to find a mattress, made in Canada, that meets the high BMI mattress specifications you need at the price budget you have set.

None of the companies you list are members of The Mattress Underground. Therefore, it’s not possible for Phoenix or any of us to be able to verify any of the information they provide about their products. Our main suggestion is that you narrow the list from seven to three (this can be done fairly quickly through website reviews), and then speak with your top three directly to get the detailed component information you need to compare the mattress to your high BMI specs. You may want to consider financing as a means to allow you to get the right mattress for your needs.

Good fortune on your journey,

Team Luma

Hi there. Thanks for the reply.

I ended up reaching out to all the mattress manufacturers on my original list after I posted and I’ve compiled a list of their various specs (except for Sealy’s Bloom, 'cause they couldn’t even be bothered to answer my question when I emailed them, they just wanted to sell me something).

Here is what I’ve heard back:

• Douglas
o The Douglas is made with three foam layers, the base is 6" of conventional polyfoam (1.8-1.9 lb), the middle layer is 2" of conventional polyfoam (1.8-1.9 lb), and the top layer is 2" of gel-infused memory foam (2.35-2.65 lb). The top layer has an IFD of 12-17, making it a medium-firm mattress. We do not use any harsh or harmful chemicals in making the mattress.
• Endy
o The top layer is 2 inches of 2.5lb infused Endy foam – comparable to 4lb high-density memory foam. The middle layer is 3 inches of 1.8lb high-density transition foam. The base layer is 5 inches of 1.8lb high-density support foam (lb weight and density does not relate to firmness).
• Fleep
o Firm side, perforated instant response foam (2 in.) : 4.5 lbs. Dense therapeutic foam adjusted to provide firm comfort (2 in.) 1.8 lbs. Dense therapeutic foam, adjusted to provide soft comfort (4 in.) 1.8 lbs. Soft side, perforated gel-infused memory foam (2 in.) : 4.0 lbs.
• Hamuq
o The mattress consists of 1" quilted pillow top with 2 lbs comfort foam and 10 oz polyester fill. 2" layer of biofoam at 2 lbs density. 1/2" of gel memory foam layer at 3 lbs density. The base support system is 8" in height, individually wrapped 1.8mm thick,15 gauge Canadian steel pocket coils, 980 in the Queen. The biofoam encasement is 2 lbs density, then another 1/2" layer of biofoam at 2 lbs density at the bottom of the encasement. The outer fabric is made from 100 % polyester.
• Logan & Cove
o 1st layer: 1 inch Gel Visco Foam, 2.5 density. 2nd layer: 1 inch Bio Foam, 1.8 density. 3rd layer: 2 Bio Foam, 1.8 density. Coils: 8 inches.
• Polysleep
o The Polysleep Mattress is made of 3 horizontal layers & a vertical layer of polyurethane foam. The top layer is a 3" ventilated hybrid foam (3.0 lbs / ft3). The mid-layer is a 1.5" piece of soft support foam (1.8 lbs / ft3). The bottom layer is built with high-density support foam (1.8 lbs / ft3). And the vertical layer is the innovative support frame made of polyurethane foam (2.0 lbs / ft3).

So, can anyone please tell me which of the above gets closest to what’s in the quote below? Sorry if I’m asking the obvious, all the numbers, desnities, thicknesses and foam types hurt my head. :blush:

Flipping made for firmer surface which made it possible to sleep on mattress 4 nights in a row without bailing to previous futon mattress. Unfortunately, this led to massive hip pain, limping, scary level of disfunction. I can’t imagine that exchanging for firm would fix this. Or that waiting it out for body to accustom is realistic. I’ll contact SOL about return/refund process. Conclusion is that latex must not be for me. I’m thinking of visiting regional futon stores to check out new versions of foam core futon mattresses. Other ideas?

Hi doomsponge,
Lots of info. Probably too much which is why your head hurts. :wink:
From what we read, none of these meet the High BMI design guidelines, as all are one-sided and all have less the 2.0 lb. per cubic ft. of density in the lower/support levels of the mattress We would narrow the list down to the top 3. Our recommendations for your next round of information gathering:

1. Logan & Cover - need info on the coil system. If it’s made for high BMI folks, this is probably the best choice on this list
  2. Endy - Uses 1.8 lb density in the lower sections of the mattress
  3. Hamuq - concern is with the 15 gauge coil system

The constraints of made in Canada and less than $1000 make this process very difficult. You may have to compromise on the product specs/long-term durability to meet them.

Good Luck,

Team Luma

Looks like you’ve made up your mind and are moving forward. We learned awhile ago that when a customer has set out on a direction, they need to be able to complete their journey without undue influence. When you search through the world of futons, do find out about durability and warranty, as well as returns/refunds. Futons are not mattresses and are even more difficult to cross shop/compare.
We do want to caution you that your experience with SOL’s latex product may not be indicative of luxury latex products and mattress designs. SOL sells a commodity latex product at a great value. There are many other All Latex or latex hybrid mattresses that would more likely meet your needs, but they may be outside of your budget.

Have fun shopping!

Team Luma

It is going to be hard to find much that fits that excellent criteria for the price point in Canada. I do feel for higher BMI that having a pocket coil core like the Hamuq, or the Logan and Cove is an advantage over a straight polyurethane foam mattress, it will offer more elasticity, response and support in most cases.

The gauge of wire that is listed on their specs is also likely pretty good if the spring count itself is accurate. Sometimes having that 1/3 middle part thicker steel is a nice benefit for higher BMI as well.

Hi there. Thank you again for your reply!

All I’ve been able to find out about Logan and Cove’s coils is that they are 8 inches thick “ReCore™ Zonal Pocketed Coils”. edited to add Found this somewhere else…The gauge on the top and bottom is 14.5, and the middle is medium at 13.5 to account for zoning.

What are you thoughts about that in regards to my situation?

Also, what kind of coils would one typically suggest for a high BMI couple?

Ok, looking at mattresses still, and ran across a mattress with these specs…

Our proprietary top layer is constructed with a 2" blend of titanium particles and high density Cool Flow ventilated memory foam. Material density is 3.25 lb/cubicfoot.

The 2nd layer utilizes an exclusive “peak & valley” design to ensure consistent airflow and combines with the top layer to form a unique system to ensure a cool night’s sleep. This 1.5" responsive firm material has a density of 2.5 lb/cubic foot.

The 3rd layer features 1.5" of strut reinforcing technology engineered into high resiliency firm foam to minimize material fatigue and reduce surface compression. Material density is 2.5 lb/cubic foot.

The bottom foundation layer is constructed of high density poly urethane material designed to complement the technologies positioned above this layer. Material density is 1.8 lb/cubic foot.

Because it is available online AND locally, I can actually go and test this out first hand. Without revealing the brand(which I’m sure wouldn’t be too hard using google search), can anyone tell me how the specs on this mattress measure up? This is a medium feel, and has a 120 day return policy, and is available locally so I can feel it firsthand. I’m so confused after all my research, but from what I’ve learned, this appears to be a lower quality mattress, but far from the lowest. It runs ~$1k for a king with free shipping/free returns, and can be bought locally. I will reveal the brand later, as I would like unbiased thoughts. Thanks so much.