Sleep LIke a Bear and Recommendation for thickness of topper and cover

Hi Phoenix,

I see that under forum posts on latex toppers, you frequently mention Sleep Like a Bear as a site with a return policy (and plenty of choices). Also Brooklyn Bedding (for exchanges) and SleepEZ (returns). Why isn’t Sleep Like a Bear one of the manufacturers/stores listed as approved on your list?

By the way, I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black Ella Luxury Firm mattress from USmattress.com (they have an exchange policy minus $100 if you don’t like it after 100 day test). They give it a “4” for comfort level. It feels just a bit too hard for me and I can’t sleep on my side on it at all (only my back). I end up with hurting shoulders. And I’m a side sleeper. The comfort layers are:

Quilt: Top of Mattress
1" Gel Touch
1" Plush Comfort Foam

Comfort - Padding Layers
2" Euro Cool Foam
1/2" AirCool Memory Foam
1/2" Luxury Firm Comfort Foam

So I was thinking to exchange it for the Simmons Beautyrest Black Georgianna Luxury Firm Pillowtop (which has the same strong springs as the Ella - 13.5) but is rated softer due to the pillow top (I never tried it as there is not a store with it near me). But with all the bad press I pillow tops, I finally decided I will get a latex topper instead for the too firm Ella. However, I can’t decide between one inch and two inch topper (I’m thinking probably talalay ILD 19?). I see you advise that all the comfort layers together should not add up to too much, and since I am 125 pounds (5’ 5"), probably the one inch thick will be good enough? I don’t want to get too thick and end up with a backache. By the way, the softer mattress (Georgianna) that I was thinking to get in pillow top only had an additional 1.5 inches of foam…but it is also the plush foam, vs. the 0.5 inches of luxury firm foam in the Ella. The Georgianna (rated 7 comfort level) has the following comfort layers:

Quilt - Top of Mattress
1" Gel Touch
1" Plush Comfort Foam

Comfort - Padding Layers
2" Euro Cool Foam
1/2" AirCool Memory Foam
2" Plush Comfort Foam

Correct Back Support System
Coil System: Veriform Advanced Pocketed Coil
1/2" Energy Foam
Coil Gauge: 13.5
Ventilated AirCool Foam Encasement

Do you think I would be OK adding a 19 ILD 2 inch thick Talalay latex topper to my Ella Luxury Firm? Or since I only weigh 25 pounds, perhaps better to go with only one inch? I don’t think Brooklyn Bedding offers one inch…just Sleep Like a Bear and Sleep Like a Bear seems rather expensive (especially the covers for the topper) as compared to Brooklyn Bedding.

Also, I think I’d like to avoid wool for the cover as I tend to get exzema from wool. What material would you otherwise recommend for the cover? I want one that is cool. The Beautyrest Black Ella mattress with the Eurocool Foam (or maybe it’s the gel) really keeps me cool…which is a relief as I’ve tried memory foam mattresses and had to exchange them as they are heat traps for me and I wake up in a sweat. So I don’t want to ruin the coolness of my mattress by getting the wrong topper or cover for the topper.

Thanks so much if you might have time for a short answer. I really appreciate this website so much.

Actually, I’m adding to my previous message. I just chatted online with salesman Jacob at Brooklyn Bedding, and I see they ONLY sell the 3 inch latex toppers, and even with ALL the quilting and comfort layers on my mattress, the salesman still thinks the 3 inch topper is appropriate (in a 24 is what he recommends). He doesn’t think it would cause problems with alignment, but it seems to me from reading all of your posts, that a 3 inch topper with be too thick and far away from the support of my mattress and would give me a back ache (esp. since I weigh 125 pounds).

Maybe best to go with Sleep LIke a Bear as they have choices of thicknesses. He thinks a one inch topper would hardly make any difference at all. He also said Brooklyn Bedding used to sell 2 inch toppers but the three inch toppers outsold them by leaps and bounds (thousands) so they stopped selling the 2 inch versions. Hmmmm. What I worry about with Sleep Like a Bear is that it sounds like you have to find your own packing materials and vacuum pack it and box it if you have to send it back. I had to do that with an Amerisleep mattress and it was a nightmare and cost me a fortune. So I like exchange policies where they send you the packing stuff or do the packing for you.

Hi adriatic,

Mainly for two reasons … one is that they don’t sell mattresses (at least yet) and the other is that the subject hasn’t come up in my conversations with Evelyn.

[quote]By the way, I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black Ella Luxury Firm mattress from USmattress.com (they have an exchange policy minus $100 if you don’t like it after 100 day test). They give it a “4” for comfort level. It feels just a bit too hard for me and I can’t sleep on my side on it at all (only my back). I end up with hurting shoulders. And I’m a side sleeper. The comfort layers are:

Quilt: Top of Mattress
1" Gel Touch
1" Plush Comfort Foam

Comfort - Padding Layers
2" Euro Cool Foam
1/2" AirCool Memory Foam
1/2" Luxury Firm Comfort Foam[/quote]

Unfortunately this is mostly meaningless information (outside of knowing the type of materials in the mattress) because they don’t include any of the quality specs of the mattress.

Hopefully you’ve read the tutorial post here and the information and links inside it which includes the mattress shopping guidelines here which suggests avoiding major brands. I would never buy a mattress where I couldn’t find out the specs to identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

[quote]Quilt - Top of Mattress
1" Gel Touch
1" Plush Comfort Foam

Comfort - Padding Layers
2" Euro Cool Foam
1/2" AirCool Memory Foam
2" Plush Comfort Foam

Correct Back Support System
Coil System: Veriform Advanced Pocketed Coil
1/2" Energy Foam
Coil Gauge: 13.5
Ventilated AirCool Foam Encasement[/quote]

This is also mostly meaningless information. The information you would need to make any meaningful assessments of a mattress is in post #4 here.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or “theory” that can predict what will work best for any person with with any certainty and different people will certainly have a different ideas about what may work best for each person. If you talk with many people you will probably get many different suggestions (often centered around what they sell). Your own personal experience is really the only way to know for sure which topper will work best for you in combination with any specific mattress. Thickness and softness also work together and 24 ILD is on the firmer end of the “soft” range particularly for your lower weight so it would be less risky than a 3" layer that had a lower ILD.

A stretch knit cotton or viscose material (such as bamboo) that both wick and breathe well would both be a very popular choice that would have little effect on the feel and response of the latex. Even for those who want it, a wool cover with a topper is a little more difficult to come by … and of course is also more costly … although it would have better temperature regulating properties than a fabric by itself. It would also have a bigger effect on the “feel” and response of the latex than just a stretch fabric cover.

Phoenix