SleepEZ help based on our size and Savvy Rest prefereces

Time to get a new mattress. My wife and I went to Savvy Rest and couln’t quite decide between these 2 combos:

• Med Talalay
  • Med Dunlop
  • Firm Dunlop
    OR
  • Med Dunlop
  • Med Dunlop
  • Firm Dunlop

We’d prefer to go with SleepEz because of the online presence and cost.
Some Specifics
Wife: 4"10 105 Lbs Side/back/stomach sleeper. Has shoulder and back pain
Me 5’2" 155lbs primarily side and back. Never stomach. Not much pain

Our current hybrid mattress is over 20 years old! Definitly time to get a new one. It is pretty firm. We are both HOT sleepers. I think my wife would do better with a slightly softer mattress. We are interested in a queen. 3 or 4 layer.

@Sleep_EZ

Since you’re really trying to be precise with the firmness, maybe consider moving to a king so it’s easier to split, or consider more layers so you can fine-tune the comfort, for example keep the 3 inch firm base but go with three 2 inch layers on top: two mediums and one soft above that.

Hi Nartman and welcome to the forums! Also, thanks for the inquiry! Lastly, I’m so sorry for the delayed response, we’re having problems with getting email notifications from the Mattress Underground, so I apologize for the delay.

My absolute best advice is to get Talalay for the top layer. Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so our most common configuration is Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers. We will recommend Talalay for two or more layers for customers that have things like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer a bouncier / springier feel. Outside of those circumstances, a combination of Talalay and Dunlop offers the best chance to be successful for the average person. Again, the best way I can summarize the differences would be to say that Talalay is better at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders and Dunlop is better at maintaining proper spinal alignment and avoiding back pain. However, Talalay can also be helpful in avoiding back pain because it provides more of what we call secondary support. Secondary support fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress. For side sleepers, this is normally the area between a person’s ribs and waist. For back sleepers, this is normally the area between the small of your back and the mattress. If these parts or your body aren’t being held up by the mattress, your muscles will work all night to hold those parts of your body up, which can lead to back pain. Aside from that, women tend to be curvier, especially around their hips, and having a top layer of Talalay can help avoid hip pain and keep the mattress from pushing their hips up, which can also lead to back pain. As such, most of our customers definitely benefit from having one layer of Talalay on top, and Dunlop for the rest of the mattress, but it’s completely up to you what you would like to order.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s a lot of great information! Do you have any specific rec’s for our specific sizes, weights, sleeping positions and issues?

Certainly! We’d normally recommend the 10" organic latex mattress with soft Talalay for the top layer, medium Dunlop for the middle layer, and firm Dunlop for the bottom layer.

1 Like