Sleeping on Air Mattress due to decision fatigue!

Hi Mattress Underground,

About 9 months ago, I set out to but a mattress. I thought I’d just buy a Saatva and move on, afterall Wired named it Best in Show. After 9 months on an air mattress (le sigh, I simply cannot believe I’m writing that), I flew to Sandman Mattress in Chicago to this land that was described to me as a magical land where all online mattresses lived to test.

I walked away loving the feeling of a Wink Softer bed, but I don’t want to want foams and was planning on the mattress I loved in 2019 at a friends house: the older version of the Hybrid Latex Nest Owl (it wasn’t called owl then).

Then, as I am about to hit “enter” on the Next order three weeks ago, I don’t know what made me to turn to reddit, but I did. I typed in a query for a Nest Review and was met with a host of spring issues. Then, I FELL DOWN THE DEEP rabbit hole of DIY mattress.

I called Ken --he IS REAL – at Arizona Mattress. He was lovely and seemingly unbothered by my 25 questions. And, yet, still, here I am about to go to blow up my air mattress for the night. My body ACHES and I’m desperate for sleep.

I am 155 lbs,
5’5"
a side sleeper who used to LOVE sleeping on my stomach and side --hmmm.
I like plush feeling, but I like a supportive mattress (the old nest actually had dunlop in it I believe, not Talalay which I now love.

So, in the last 30 minutes, I’ve nearly purchased the following beds:
a Latex Mattress Factory Hyperion (but I think Medium might be too Medium)?
a DLX – never have I heard of this and it has foam and I don’t think it’s for me, but I could unzip? It’s so pretty!

The bed I REALLY WANT AND AM AFRAID TO SPRING FOR:
The Naturepedic EOS –
but then even if I go that route-- do I do springs, mini springs and a talalay? SO MANY OPTIONS. Someone said mini coils are superior – who said that and why?

I’m lost. And exhausted. And Never in a million years thought I’d be posting on a mattress board–I’m a Home Collection buyer for a beloved American brand. I spend hours with cashmere and lace and rug makers across the world. Yet, I cannot buy my own bed. I am supposed to KNOW things.

If I do APM, Ken says (and he knows, I know)–
coils
medium talalay
soft talalay
but how do I make sure it’s supportive enough? You’re going to say I should ask Ken aren’t you?

Also, why don’t people ever return to their posts and say " this is what I purchased 3 months ago and I love/hate it?" That would be helpful.

Things that matter to me:
Pretty things,
Cozy sleep – but I can make any mattress cozy with a topper???
value

Best,
Sleepless on an air mattress.

I tried Naturepedic EOS in store. I didnt like it. Some people love it.

I dont think Naturepedic is your mattress……or maybe it is. Try to find a store to try it out.

Go with Flobed VZone. All talalay and it is adjustable!

John

Hi sjv214 and welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out on this! You might want to consider the 10" organic latex mattress from Sleep EZ - https://sleepez.com/product/organic-latex-mattress/

They’re fully customizable, meaning you can order the mattress to be as soft or as firm as you’d like. They’re also fully adjustable, meaning you can change the softness, firmness, back support, pressure relief, etc. AFTER you get the mattress in your home. To be more specific, the 10” is our most popular, and these mattresses normally go out with three 3" layers of different firmnesses - normally the softest layer (or the cushion & contour layer) is on top and the supportive layers are on the bottom. This helps ensure our customers get the right balance of contour for their hips and shoulders but also support for their lower back. If you start with a certain setup and find that it’s too soft, you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers to get a firmer feel out of the mattress, or you can exchange a layer to make it softer. Additionally, latex mattresses typically last 20 years. If, in 5 or 10 or 15 years you decide you want a softer or firmer mattress you would only have to buy a new layer instead of an entirely new mattress. Lastly, if the mattress starts to break down in 15 – 20 years, it’s normally the top layer that breaks down first, and at that point you can likely just buy a new top layer of latex instead of a whole new mattress and get an additional 8-10 years out of the mattress.

Furthermore, queen, king, and cal king mattresses are available with what we call “split layers,” which means you can have us cut the layers down the middle (from head to foot) so that you can have a different feel / firmness on your side versus your partner’s side, and you can adjust each side independently over the 20 year lifetime of the mattress. About 95% of our mattresses go out with all split layers from top to bottom, and we get zero complaints on being able to feel the split and we get zero complaints about the layers shifting or anything like that, even if you sleep right on the middle of the mattress.

If you’re looking for an especially plush mattress, you might want to consider ordering the 10" organic latex mattress with soft Talalay/medium Dunlop/firm Dunlop but mention in the comments section at checkout that you want us to ship it as a 7" mattress with 3" topper, which will give you a really plush and enveloping feel, for sure. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. On top of that, you would no longer have an inch of wool between yourself and the top layer of latex, which will allow you to contour into the Talalay layer much better. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general.

If you’re wondering how to pick the layers for this mattress, you can go to the natural or organic mattress page, click the green button that says “Build Your Mattress Now,” then click the gray oval that says “Personalized,” and you’ll be able to enter your information. The website will then make a personalized recommendation based on your information (the layers in the mattress diagram will reflect the recommendation after you click the “Apply” button. Please note that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the recommendation turns out to be your perfect setup!

Although it’s not likely that you’ll need to rearrange layers or exchange layers, you certainly have the option to adjust the mattress according to you and your partner’s specific needs and preferences, both in the short-term and long-term. We have a 90 day exchange and return period, so you can exchange a layer within the first 90 days for a flat-rate $30 fee for the first exchange and the full cost of shipping for any subsequent exchanges. We will ship your layers first, and we will ship them with extra plastic that you can use to package your current layers, and we will ship it with a pre-paid Fed Ex return label. Also, if you will please call us when you are ready to ship your layers back we will schedule a free Fed Ex pick up for you. You will have 30 days after its arrival to return a layer of your choosing, so you’ll have plenty of time to try a few different combinations with the layers you have and the layer we will be sending you so that you can get your comfort and support levels just right.

2 Likes

Hi sjv214,

You may have already decided, but in case you haven’t, I wanted to let you know that Naturepedic mattresses are on sale now (since May 10th). Perhaps this would make the EOS more within your range.

Also, as you probably know, there are 5 different customizations. Plus, you can customize by side in Queen and King sizes.

They also have a swap layer program, so if the firmness is not working, it can be tweaked after purchase.
On their site is a store locator - hopefully there is a showroom near you to try.
If you are in the Northeast, we are happy to help you in person. If not, we are happy to advise you by phone also.

Good luck in your continuing search. Let us know if we can help.
Katie