Sleepy's mattress - terrible! Has anyone gotten a refund or exchange?

I am really upset with my mattress but more so with Sleepy’s. I bought it from Sleepy’s in 2011 - although they were pretty pricey, I figured I would get a great quality mattress since “you get what you pay for.” Well in this circumstance, that is not true! I paid $899.99 for the mattress alone (not including the box spring and the mattress protector so I could keep my “warranty” which totaled to about $1100-1200). I have been doing everything right with this mattress; I ALWAYS have the protector on and I rotate the bed. I don’t even sleep on it more than 3 or 4 nights out of the week and after 2 1/2 years, the bed has two sink holes!!!

I contacted Sleepy’s and they had a tech come out to look at the bed. After speaking to a customer rep regarding the tech’s reports, apparently, though there is some sagging and two indents on both the right and left side of the bed, it is still within manufacturer specs! Are you kidding me?! I am 100 pounds and even when I lay in the bed, it feels like I’m at the bottom of a hill. When my 175 pound boyfriend sleeps in bed with me, NEITHER of us can get a good sleep because he’s in a sink hole and I’m rolling into him! We would get a better night’s sleep on the floor! It’s absolutely ridiculous. I was told to contact them and that they would “work with me” on the price of a new mattress. I am NOT buying another piece of crap mattress from sleepy’s so I can be another $900 in the hole in 2 1/2 years from now. I am beyond frustrated with this company! AVOID SLEEPYS! They do not stand beside their mattresses! Go for your local mattress manufacturer or Bob’s Discount Furniture. I could have spent half what I did to buy a junk mattress!! I would never recommend Sleepy’s to anyone!

Hi jcarlucci88,

Sadly … your experience is not unusual and is part of the reason that I suggest that people avoid chain stores and major brands completely (see the guidelines here). As you unfortunately discovered … when you are considering a major brand or most mainstream mattresses … it’s certainly not the case that you will get what you pay for compared to the many better quality/value options that are available across the country.

Most mattress warranties are more about marketing than anything else and they have very little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress (see post #174 here). Most major brand mattresses use lower quality and less durable materials in the comfort layers which can soften and compress or develop soft spots (or virtual impressions) much too quickly and result in the premature loss of comfort and support. Unfortunately the loss of comfort and support is not considered to be a manufacturing defect (which is the only thing that a mattress warranty covers) unless the visible impressions are deeper than the warranty exclusions. This is the reason that it’s so important to make sure you know the type and quality of all the materials inside any mattress you are considering (see this article) so you can make sure there are no weak links in the mattress (the quality guidelines I would suggest using are here) and which will also allow you to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If you aren’t able to find out the information you need to make an informed purchase decision … I would pass the mattress by.

I would also be very cautious dealing with Bob’s Discount Furniture as well (see post #4 here) although your comments about dealing with local manufacturers is a very good idea and they will generally have much better quality and value mattresses in every budget range.

If you do decide to exchange your mattress for another one at Sleepy’s then post #2 here and the posts it links to may be useful to help you make the best of a difficult situation where you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If you decide to purchase a new mattress elsewhere then I would start with the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Post #4 here also has some suggestions that may be helpful although there are no great solutions to “fix” a mattress that is sagging or has developed soft spots.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! I will be checking those links out in my search for a new mattress.