Specific Thermapedic Mattress Question! Need Mattress ASAP!

Hello!

We are a young couple, on a budget – but we have recently bough a new house and need a new bed! This will be our first mattress purchase, as our other beds have all been inherited somewhere along the way. We would like to get a decent mattress, with good support (we are avid skiers, bikers, runners, ect and I tend have some low back trouble), but do not need anything top of the line or super fancy.

We are in Denver and have visited several stores. We came across an incredible deal at Sleep Nation which uses Therapedic as their manufacturer, and the store name for this specific mattress is the “Speer Blvd Plush” in a king size. I have tried to do some research, but this is a relatively new business – so the store itself only has a couple of reviews, and the reviews on the manufacturer seem to vary so widely, that it is hard for me to find any of it useful.

The listed specs are:
The Plush version of the Speer Blvd series is a straight down the middle blend of support and contouring. The individually pocketed innerspring unit provides for optimum support, while the independent nature of the coil allows for excellent contouring, and virtually no motion or bounciness. A layer of Zoned Convoluted Foam makes the Speer Blvd Plush feel just a bit softer than the Firm version, and the antimicrobial fibers provide for a more temperature regulated sleep. The 360 degree foam encased edge support makes for a stiff seating edge and reduces roll off.
15 yr warranty
14″ Thick
Individually Pocketed Coils
Foam Encased Edge Support
Firm Support Foam
Hi IFD Comfort Foam
Zoned Convoluted Foam
Antimicrobial fibers
Cotton stretch knit cover

http://www.mysleepnation.com/mattresses/innerspring-mattresses/speer-blvd-plush

Is this a mattress worth investing in? Or will we be kicking ourselves in a couple of months? One thing to note – the manufacturer will not consider settling a defect for this bed unless the dip is 2 inches or more, which seems like a lot of settling to me! I appreciate any and all guidance!

Best,
Michelle

Hi mkbm,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Other than careful and objective testing that can tell you whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the mattress or the length of the warranty. A warranty only covers defects in the material and has little to do with the useful life of the mattress or how long it will keep its comfort or support (see post #174 here about mattress warranties).

Besides making sure a mattress is a suitable choice for your body type, sleeping positions, and personal preferences … it’s always important to make sure you know the specifics of all the layers inside any mattress you are considering so you can identify any weak links and make meaningful comparisons with your other “finalists”. There is more about the information you need in this article and the foam density guidelines I would suggest using are in post #4 here.

If you can list the specifics of the mattress on the forum (including quality/density of all the foam layers) I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and help you assess whether there are any weak links in the mattress.

You can see my thoughts and comments about Sean and My Sleep Nation in post #2 here and in post #2 here which also includes some of the other options and possibilities in the Denver area. A forum search on sleepnation (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix